my girlfriend wants to start out playing bass
since i don't know much about basses i was wondering what would be the best amp and bass to start with
she's looking for a 4 string bass not a jazz or precision bass
she fell in love with this traben bass, called array and i've never heard of the company i hope someone can tell me about it
if not then please suggest anything really that would be under 300 EUROS as we're in europe
also she'll be looking for an amp which again should come about 200/300 less possibly please suggest anyhting that comes to mind
thank you
How can you fall in love with an instrument you can't play and know little about other than looks? If you really want to be cheap i would look for an ibanez starter kit, it is relatively cheap and gives you an amp included.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
in the UK, the Array is £180.
http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/bass/1919-array_4_string_bass_guitar
No doubt you can get it under, or at least close to 300 Euros.

The Traben Array gives good sustain, T'is a good starter bass from what I've heard, good luck!

Oh and amp-wise, Acoustic AB50 I think it is? wait for Humanity to post!
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by frostfire100
um...the majority of jazz and precision basses have 4 strings

To quote, "I facepalmed so hard that I asspalmed."

A 4 string bass that isn't a P or J bass.

He did realise that P and J basses have 4 strings.

He's not some sort of alien that thinks they have 6 strings or something.

He realised that P and J basses have 4 strings.
Quote by El NaChO

she's looking for a 4 string bass not a jazz or precision bass

Implying that a jazz and a precision bass don't have four strings
Quote by frostfire100
Implying that a jazz and a precision bass don't have four strings
I'm 99% sure he was implying that she was looking for a 4 string bass that wasn't a precision or a jazz bass, and not saying that jazz and precision basses have 5 strings.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
When you put "that's not a" in that sentance, which is what he meant, he knows J and P basses have 4 strings.
No one's that stupid that they think they have 5 strings as standard.
I love the way this thread became a grammar / semantics discussion

Anyway back to the point--take her to a shop and let her try out a few basses in that price range. For amps--check out the FAQ, there are some great starter options in that range. I would recommend the Orange amp myself. And along with Traben, I would recommend Ibanez as well.