Ok, so I wanna buy a electric guitar. or a bass. And when I went to the shop I still couldn't decide...I like the sound that the guitar makes, as I could replicate the songs I like, which with the bass I couldn't, other than songs like bulls on parade take the power back etc. But I like bass as I think they look 100% sexier, and I'm more of a rhythmic person, taking songs into account and just in general. (I have OCD with having to find the bassline in the song and see what it does to the song..) Also, I do quite like the sound of bass,(Although I would prefer guitar sound wise because of my reasoning above) but I think it would restrict me song wise seeing as I would be primarily on my own. But whenever I pick one later I pick the other... So which one would be better for starting off with?
dude seriusly buy a bass guitar their are so many guitarists out there and everyone will be better than you and their is always a need for a bass guitarist in a band and you can show off because not many people play bass.
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Drums!

Well personally i would go for what ever is more fun.
Theres not enough bass'ists out there compared to guitar'ists. So if you want to get into a band, and people are looking for a bass'ist. You might just be glad if you took that path.

I play electric myself, and it is fun. Been playing since may and ive picked it all up pretty easy. Bass is even easier but it harder on your fingers untill you get used to it. But sometimes you will find a song that will require you do have alot of fingerwork for the bassline, but that wont take too long to do.

From all of my opinion above im screaming bass. But wait for other replies and see what they say
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH in Crimson Red
Reverend Sensei HB FM in Tobacco Burst
Fender Vintage C Neck, HH, Surf Green Nitrocellulose (Handmade)

Egnater Rebel-30 MKI Head
Egnater Tourmaster Series 412B 280W 4x12 Cabinet
I wouldn't have a band, seeing as there is barely anyone around here... maybe a jam wih my mate or something...
Why not pick up both? play both for a while, see what you enjoy more and stick with that. Or you can just keep on playing both, the skills are very transferable from one to the other for the most part.
The religious myth is the most powerful device ever created, and serves as the psychological soil upon which other myths can flourish.
I agree, if you like bass that much it's practically fate. Bass players are in demand, dude, and they can wail just as hard as guitarists (sometimes harder).
Depends what kinda person you are: over confident, go for lead guitar, fat, go for rythm guitar, anything else, bass.
Quote by nebno6
Depends what kinda person you are: over confident, go for lead guitar, fat, go for rythm guitar, anything else, bass.

I'm confident to an extent, and I'm average weight.
go with bass. it's obviously the one you really prefer. with a little digging, you'll find all kinds of music that features bass just as heavily or more so than the guitar.

bassists are in demand, particularly bassists who are ACTUAL bass players, not just guitarists who couldn't find a band that was hiring. if you get really good, there's no stopping you... bass guitar is more prevalent in rap, pop, r&b, dance, techno, etc... than the guitar. and bass is coming to the forefront in rock music more often these days, and people are starting to notice sweet basslines more than they used to.
Bass is even easier but it harder on your fingers until you get use to it.

You are ****ing stupid. Bass is NOT easier than guitar. They are the same. There are much different techniques you must learn on bass.

**** sakes, everyone messes that up.

and i dont even play bass!
Guys, take into account that I'll be playing on my own primarily, with a jam with a friend rarely.
It's gonna be biased, cause I'm primarily a bassist, but Bass, man. Guitar is cool, but if you get proficient enough on a bass, you can do the same stuff - write songs, so solos...

And honestly, what got me hooked on bass - When you thump and slap - it shakes the f*ckin ground.... It sounds monstrous in a club. Nothin more fun to me than thump n slap playin. Way more in your face than a guitar, in my opinion.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Get a guitar, and then if you decide to play bass you can just cut two of the strings off.
Quote by nebno6
Get a guitar, and then if you decide to play bass you can just cut two of the strings off.

isnt that what you did?
Quote by nebno6

No.

ffs

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=952231

You've already made a dozen or so threads in the last month about this and bizarrely some asking for playing advice when you don't even play yet.

this thread is not going to tell you anything you haven't already been told, either make a decision and buy an instrument or do us all a favour and buy a PS3
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 2, 2008,