How good would you say these amps are for classic metal/thrash metal.

B-52 AT 112.
Marshall JCM 900
Peavey Valveking
Peavey Ultra

Also people have been saying that i can get the Marshall JCM 900 for $500 easily. Cheapest i found was $750. What am i doing wrong.
Last edited by Lefty Guitarist at Oct 2, 2008,
I would say they are all pretty good. Why no 5150 or 6505, XXX, JSX on the list? Are you searching craigslist?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
I would say they are all pretty good. Why no 5150 or 6505, XXX, JSX on the list? Are you searching craigslist?

This man suggests good amps. The 5150/6505 amps are excellent. The JSX may be out of the price range though (it is massively expensive in the UK). Out of the three amps you suggested TS, I'd say go with the JCM900.

EDIT: I suspect that gregs1020 works for Peavey...
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Im getting an amp for christmas. The problem my parents can only buy it from december 1st to december 24 or whenever christmas is. And with a JCM 900 would i need to boost it with a pedal? How loud would this thing be in my bedroom.
Quote by Lefty Guitarist
Im getting an amp for christmas. The problem my parents can only buy it from december 1st to december 24 or whenever christmas is. And with a JCM 900 would i need to boost it with a pedal? How loud would this thing be in my bedroom.

I'd say that the JCM 900 could do thrash nicely without a boost. If you stuck an overdrive pedal in front of it, it would have a little extra gain, but artists mostly use OD pedals to tighten up the low end. Also, a JCM 900 would be very loud (100w, I assume?) but my Laney can go down to suitable levels for bedroom use.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by BobMarleysGhost

EDIT: I suspect that gregs1020 works for Peavey...

Kinda looked like it in retrospect, I forgot the Ultra! No I work for Fender.

TS - you have to be patient, they pop up from time to time.
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/862798125.html It depends on where you are. Can you search cities within a couple hundred miles? I live in Chicago but search Milwaukee and Indy all the time.

Edit: I realize that link isn't a JCM900, it's a JTM60. Better IMO.
Quote by gregs1020
I forgot the Ultra!

You can find these for dirt cheap. I just got mine a few weeks ago and I love it.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
the VK and B-52 are nice amps, but the JCM900 totally beats the snot out of both of them...
O O

___
Quote by Vecheka
You can find these for dirt cheap. I just got mine a few weeks ago and I love it.

They are great, a buddy of mine has one and I have always liked his tone. He's more of a metal guy than me but great amp, congrats.

TS - are you set on the JCM900 or would you consider some other amps besides the B52 and VK? I played a VK yesterday and I still think it's better than a lot of people say. What major city are you near?
Well i live in the woods, Cherry hill is like an hour away. And yeah i can consider other amps besides that. The only things im postitive i want is for the tubes to be good, and it to be a combo, unless it is a really good stack for cheap.

Edit how good are these peavey ultras? I found a combo for $400 on ebay. here
Last edited by Lefty Guitarist at Oct 2, 2008,
I don't know where Cherry Hill is to help you with your search. Ones in NJ, ones in Utah... Do you have a GC anywhere near you to try out some amps?
Its a good amp (the ultra), discontinued but they do show up used from time to time. IbanezPsycho has one I believe he has clips on his profile, think so anyway. PM him for his thoughts.