I am getting an ESP LTD EX 400 with a Peavey Valveking 112 what do you think about this setup anything I should change different guitar? better amp I have not much experience with guitars and the tones they give off and I will definitely test this stuff out when I buy it but I was wanting some feedback from people on this forum on that particular setup
depends on where your going to be using it, for a practice amp the valveking would be to much, and with esps you always want to try and get something with a high number on the end, like a 500 or 1000, 100's a crap, 200's are overpriced crap, ect, i'm getting the ec 1000 eventually.
Last thread I made someone was like the higher wattage the better it sounds at lower and higher sounds because it can handle it better or something.. and you could just turn it down for practice and then turn it up high if you wanted to gig with it..

The EX 400 is the highest number of the explorer shaped guitars they have and its got the same pickups as you'd find on like the EC-1000
Last edited by Smokiedahippo at Oct 2, 2008,
I don't know anything about peavy amps.

But for the guitar, anything from 400 series and up from LTD is good. And the EXs are pretty sweet in facts. With a good amp it'll do wonders in terms of metal and it'll still be sweet for other styles thanks to the 60 in the neck.
that just isn't true, it may be true for solid state, but with a tube amp, you need the volume cranked up high, the tubes need to run hot, a valve amp sounds like a solid state at low levels of volume, and tubes need to be pushed.
So that means I dont really want a tube? I want an amp that has a nice tone and can have at home for practice but if I ever get good enough/decide to gig Id like for it to be able to do that also
thats my problem to, i was going to get a really nice one and play it quiet and then gig with it, it sucks, but now i have to get a nice small practice amp and than later a huge one, i'm not trying to tell you what to do or anything, but i've researched it for close to a year and playing a tube amp without the thing really being pushed you aren't getting the tube sound.
Quote by jefffelker40
that just isn't true, it may be true for solid state, but with a tube amp, you need the volume cranked up high, the tubes need to run hot, a valve amp sounds like a solid state at low levels of volume, and tubes need to be pushed.

Only if you want power amp distortion. If he's playing metal, he won't want that. Most metal players get their distortion from the pre-amp and a od or boost in front of it to keep the bass tight.

T.S. Try out the VK, but don't limit you self to it.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
I could get the Vox valvetroix 50 watt amp would that be better? XD

and I have no clue what you mean whoever posted before me but Yes I do play metal
Quote by jefffelker40

Everything in this post is wrong.

Just because it's tube doesn't mean it needs to be cranked to sound good, this seems to be a VERY common misconception with people on these forums. This may have been true for older, vintage amps, but modern tube amps are designed to sound good at low volumes, but still better at high volume.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I play my VK at low volumes and get tube break up.

Budget?
Home or gig (drummer)?
New or Used?
What types of music to you play?
What is your closest major city?

These are all questions formulated in the Stickies.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 5, 2008,
Quote by Smokiedahippo
So confused what to get -.- (Amp Wise)

OK well let's take care of that. So you need something for practice and gigging, you play metal and what else? (going out on a limb there based on your initial set up thoughts) Would you consider used amps to more for your money? What major city do you live near as used markets vary? Is $400 your total amp budget?

Edit: Dammit 311, I must type pretty slow.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
$400
Both
Dont care it'll be awhile before I get it though
Metal/Classic Rock
Raleigh - I am not buying it till march, please don't send me ebay/craiglist links thanks!

If theres something way better for a little bit more then sure suggest it also
When you are ready, you should be able to find a B52 for that. I see them a lot in that price range. The Valveking sells for $400 new in most places for the 50 watt combo. Also you could go the Classic 30 or 50 route with a metal pedal.

Since you have some time you should try as many amps out at your local GC to see what you would want when the time comes. Keep your options as wide as you can until then. You never know what will pop on craigslist - and you can try it before you buy it.
Those guys specialize in finding folks deals on craigslist and ebay. If you have a while go out to G.C. and see if anything grabs your ears, then use that as a base for what to buy (and probably ask here again.)

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
not the combo. post your link.

best thing to do is hang out here and read what others are saying. You have lots of time. Check craigslist in your area anyway so you have something to compare to. Go to GC as mentioned and play as many amps as you can with your guitar (or at least the same guitar).

make yourself a long list of like 10 amps, read up on those, compare the specs etc, and then narrow down to top 3.
^Then pull the trigger when one of the top three pops up on the used site.

TS, the B52 combos go for $300-400 used.
buy a used GREAT guitar, That doesn't have active emgs. And buy a used pod. When you find a sound that you truly like then decide on your gear. My actives never sounded good till' i got real equipment...(much more $$$$$$)
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
Im looking at the Peavey Valveking 100W Amp head and the 4x12 speaker cabinet off craigslist for like $450

That amp
http://www.8thstreet.com/prod.asp?pid=32253&n=Peavey-ValveKing-Half-Stack

This guitar
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EX400-Electric-Guitar?sku=512028

And whats wrong with active emgs? I'm pretty set on the EX its either that or the Dean ML 79 but Im pretty sure im going with the EX
Last edited by Smokiedahippo at Oct 3, 2008,
That 100 watt half stack is way overkill for bedroom practice. Granted if you can find that used for $450 then knock yourself out - but it is not what I would do. A 50 watt combo can handle gigs fine and will be more manageable in a small room. Not to mention a helluva lot lighter. Plus the speakers Peavey uses are not that great so you will 4 mediocre speakers.

Just overkill dude. Get a combo.

So you are willing to look used. Can you check local craigslist and see what you see. Find your city, select Musical Instr under For Sale. Then type in 'amp' in search bar.
Quote by Smokiedahippo
Im looking at the Peavey Valveking 100W Amp head and the 4x12 speaker cabinet off craigslist for like $450

I thought you didn't want to use craigslist because you weren't buying now. Which is it Smokie? Which city site are you searching?
that valvetronix amp wouldn't be a bad choice, very good tone for a SS amp and has VERY tweakable FX!!! if you play mostly hard rock and classic metal, and less heavier metal, then i'd say get it. but if you pretty much just play all metal go for a Roland Cube 30 or 60 and it's a modelling amp just like it, but has better heavier metal tones. both include multiple FX, but the vox has more tweakability if you ask me, i loved mine.

but if you want REAL tone, the best that an amp can make, you're gonna have to wait for an all tube deal to come along.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Well I think the VK half stack is a good deal, over kill but a good deal. Try it first though.

And gregs... I think he said Raligh (sp?) earlier

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Im just showing you what Id want to buy, I wont buy one until march but I was suprised I found it for that price sorry for confusion I live near Raleigh NC
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
not the combo. post your link.

best thing to do is hang out here and read what others are saying. You have lots of time. Check craigslist in your area anyway so you have something to compare to. Go to GC as mentioned and play as many amps as you can with your guitar (or at least the same guitar).

make yourself a long list of like 10 amps, read up on those, compare the specs etc, and then narrow down to top 3.

^This
Quote by gregs1020
^Then pull the trigger when one of the top three pops up on the used site.

Then that.

No worries TS. Good luck.
Quote by Smokiedahippo
feedback on an ESP LTD EX 400 with a Peavey Valveking 112

I hear the ISP Decimator helps with that.
Quote by dylan_r
I hear the ISP Decimator helps with that.

Not that kind of feedback. He mean peoples opinion on what he plans to buy
there is this thing on ebay that you should look up if you do get a high wattage tube amp to get cranked tones. Its called the suck knob and its basically a external master volume so you can crank your amp than adjust the volume you here with this. The guy who sells it has very good feedback on this and he sells it for like $25 or less.
Quote by jefffelker40

so wrong.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups