Anyone ever read this strange short story by JD Salinger? I just read it in my AP English class, and was wondering what The Pit had to say aboot it.
I have all I want and I'm not okay, I'm funny that way...
- Rob Heinrich
i just read it for english, it was decent. the underlying message and stuff was good, and it was interesting once you finished and then pieced together all the parts, so from an analytical point of view it was good. unfortunately, from a story PoV i didn't think it did much. if you take away the symbolism and stuff you're left with...nothing, really. in my mind, a story has to work on both levels.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
the ending was cool, but the part with the little girl was kind of creepy. i liked how it showed that depression and suicide are completley irrational and make no sense.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Fuzzbox91
the ending was cool, but the part with the little girl was kind of creepy. i liked how it showed that depression and suicide are completley irrational and make no sense.

But there WAS reason that he killed himself. i'm not saying i would've done it, but there definitely was a reason.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
how about a brief synopsis for those who haven't read ti but may be interested in doing so?
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
Quote by cheeseman3001
how about a brief synopsis for those who haven't read ti but may be interested in doing so?

that's kind of tough to do, seeing as it was a short story and (as i said) the main focus was on the hidden bits. anyway, i'll try: A guy goes to WWII, after the war he is in a army hospital (cause unspecified) after he returns home, to his wife, he acts weird and her family is very concerned.

that sucked, i know, but you might as well read it. it's short, no more than half an hour or so of reading time if you read at about average speed.
Quote by The Evil Hat

But there WAS reason that he killed himself. i'm not saying i would've done it, but there definitely was a reason.

that was the point, people a lot of time never know why they do it
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
I just read it and I'm confused.

Why did he kill himself?
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
the entire point is you are not supposed to know why he killed himself because he is depressed and does not make his problems apparent on the outside to show that suicide in its self is a)not always predictable b) not rational c) has reasons that vary from person to person. some people want to go out as a martyr and leave a suicide note that will forever freeze their "message" in time. others just want to dissapear from the world and not say why, like seymour. you saw some signs of his depression towards the end (the part where he was getting all pissy about the lady staring at his feet) but just like a lot of real suicides are, it came out of nowhere. I liked the real way that this was presented.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
I agree. The story was presented in a very unique way, a way that is geared toward leaving the reader up to doing some thinking

I think Salinger left it vague like he did for that exact purpose, because he wanted to readers to at least try and dive deeper into the meaning of the story.
I have all I want and I'm not okay, I'm funny that way...
- Rob Heinrich
I rather enjoyed it, I agree Salinger left it vague.

But then again, I'm a Salinger fanboy.
Ah! I was hoping for some kind of banana-fish hybrid Oh well I'll look into the book though.