A couple of my friends asked me if I could make them a cd of all the material I have written cause they enjoy listening to it. Now since it's all basically acoustic with no vocals (can't sing or write lyrics lol) I was wondering if there was anything I could do anything in recording them that could "spice" it up or make it more interesting to listen to rather than just me playing 1 guitar.

I'm not using anything fancy, just a cheap lil comp mike and audacity.

Also, i'm sure some of you will suggest some lead work, now using audacity what is a good way to record a lead over the rhythm track?

Thanks in advance all.
when your done recording with audacity, dont do anything just press stop recording.
then click the curser thing back to the beginning and click record again and it will record another track whilst playing the original track.
Quote by caskettheclown
when your done recording with audacity, dont do anything just press stop recording.
then click the curser thing back to the beginning and click record again and it will record another track whilst playing the original track.

Won't that just make it louder?
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Won't that just make it louder?

He means that when you finish recording, you go to the start, press record again and play your lead. The rhythm guitar will play in the background so you can follow it.
Quote by Austyn6661
He means that when you finish recording, you go to the start, press record again and play your lead. The rhythm guitar will play in the background so you can follow it.

and if the mic picks up the rhythm playing through your speakers it fills it out a bit more OR you can use the silence options on the spots where you aren't playing lead.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
Reverb
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Rather than doing full on leads, I'd do the 'Wes Montgomery thing. Play a melody, but do it in octaves. It sounds much better if you actually play octaves on the guitar than it does going back and playing the same melody an octave higher, though. That's one thing.

You could maybe get a bass and throw some of that in there somewhere. Maybe not on every song, but on a few of them.

Slide can be a good idea, used in the right context of course.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)