So I gotta play for my english class at my school tomorrow, which is full of preps, and I have no idea what to play.

I want it to be simple cause its just me doing guitar and vocals, yet something awesome and says an fu to the preps, without swearing or being overtly sexual. I go to a Catholic school, which kind of limits my options.

I guess its the most appropriate section to post in. Correct me if im wrong.
Why are you reading this?
well it technically not bandleading if its just gonna be you... if you can pull out American Idiot and edit out the curses, then you might succeed
The Clash - I Fought the Law
Or
Peter Paul and Mary - Puff the Magic Dragon
Or
Green Day - Minority
ok, thanks, but i realllllly dont like green day, and i live in canada. im into hard rock, punk rock, classic rock, southern rock. stuff like the libertines, towers of london, skynyrd, the doors, zep, stuff like that.
Quote by tomin8r
ok, thanks, but i realllllly dont like green day, and i live in canada. im into hard rock, punk rock, classic rock, southern rock. stuff like the libertines, towers of london, skynyrd, the doors, zep, stuff like that.

Do 'Roadhouse Blues' by the Doors, it's a good catchy number that will have anyone tapping their feet.
Do a libertines song. especially if its an acoustic. time for heroes? What katie did?
Something by Dylan or Leonard Cohen fits your specifications (Everybody Knows by Leonard Cohen would work very well).

If you're looking for something more modern, "Paranoid Android" by Radiohead would be pretty excellent - if you can fingerpick alright then you'd be able to play the first section fairly easily and it's a reasonably well-known song (even in America?) with some very cutting lyrics:

"When I am king, you will be first against the wall/
with your opinion which is of no consequence at all/
Ambition makes you look pretty ugly/
kicking squealing Gucci little piggy/

The dust and the screaming/
the yuppies networking..."

EDIT: I've just remembered, the lyrics after the yuppies line go:

"The panic, the vomit, the panic, the vomit/
God loves his children, God loves his children/
Yeah..."

Might not go down well in a Catholic school, although you could argue that it isn't directed at religion in a negative sense...
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Last edited by Damascus at Oct 3, 2008,
Thanks for all the advice guys, i ended up playing free bird to a pretty warm reception, got a lot of applause. I might have to do this for another class soon, so thanks for all the suggestions.