Hello all, I'm interested in your thoughts on "traditional" metalcore song structure. What kind of scales are used, what kind of chord progressions, melodies, etc. If you have a specific song you can suggest I listen to as "benchmarks" of the genre that would be great too. Thanks for your input!
The natural minor scale is mostly used as well as diatonic third/fifth harmonies. Take a look at some of these bands.

Trivium, All That Remains, Bullet For My Valentine, Killswitch Engage, Protest The Hero, And (Old) Avenged Sevenfold.

For future reference however, post stuff like this in the Hardcore forum.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Unearth and Winter Solstice are two "heavier" metalcore bands, for reference.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by Alter-Bridge
The natural minor scale is mostly used as well as diatonic third/fifth harmonies. Take a look at some of these bands.

Trivium, All That Remains, Bullet For My Valentine, Killswitch Engage, Protest The Hero, And (Old) Avenged Sevenfold.

For future reference however, post stuff like this in the Hardcore forum.

Why? He wants to know the musical structure. So obviously [Musicians Talk is the place to come.

Anyway I've found with bands like those the natural minor scale is heavilly used, and like Alter-Bridge said, diatonic third & 5th harmonies are also frequently used. 'Tis one of the things I love about metalcore.