My first question is about the song "Get Out Alive" by Three Days Grace. Now, I just started learning how to find keys and I'm still a little shaky. I hear people say that its the last chord of the song (which is a D power chord), but people say the song is in G minor. How can you tell?

My other question is about a song I wrote. The notes I use are D A# F C A D A# F G D#. Would that make it G minor also, even though my last chord isn't a G?
the last chord has nothing to do with the key, although it is common for that to be the case.
Yeah, he's right. The last chord has absolutely nothing to do with what key it's in. People just say it does because it's COMMON for the last chord to be the key, because that's the note that offers finality to the piece. You know, it sounds like that's where it should end?

I'm no theory expert, but it really does help to know how to know how theory works to figure out what key the song is in.
Quote by soBLINKad
the last chord has nothing to do with the key, although it is common for that to be the case.

this statement isn't terribly accurate. MOST (and i emphasize most) songs resolve to the root note for the last chord. there are exceptions and not all songs resolve to the root to give the song a feeling of completion. i've never heard the song the TS is referring to so i can't say. but considering its 3 days grace i'd say its a good possibility the song is in D.