hey wassup, im new in the recording/producing world and was looking into buying some sort of recording device to get some guitar on fruity loops. been doing some research and seems like the best option out there is the presonus stuff. ive seen a lot of people mentioning the fp10, but i was looking around and seen the firestudio tube. is there any advantages in getting the fp10 over the firestudio or vice versa... just wanted to get some opinions on what to get before i actually purchase one. im running on vista btw, if that causes any problems for any of the products... and also any other recommendations on other products that are good to get is welcome ^^v
I've got a Firestudio, and it worked wonderfully with my XP machine, but now that I've upgraded I've had a few problems (might be due to having Vista and no TI chipset). So am putting a new firewire card in to see if that alleviates the problem.

When it was working on my old machine though, it was a great interface, so I can only imagine that the Tube would be similar.
Quote by the_astronaut
I've got a Firestudio, and it worked wonderfully with my XP machine, but now that I've upgraded I've had a few problems (might be due to having Vista and no TI chipset). So am putting a new firewire card in to see if that alleviates the problem.

When it was working on my old machine though, it was a great interface, so I can only imagine that the Tube would be similar.

The Firestudio is a little more iffy on drivers compared to the old FP10. A new TI card may fix the problem but if you are running Cakewalk for your sequencer simply get yourself an FP10, there are so many complaint on the Firestudio and Cakewalk Sonar.

Quote by kburns808
hey wassup, im new in the recording/producing world and was looking into buying some sort of recording device to get some guitar on fruity loops. been doing some research and seems like the best option out there is the presonus stuff. ive seen a lot of people mentioning the fp10, but i was looking around and seen the firestudio tube. is there any advantages in getting the fp10 over the firestudio or vice versa... just wanted to get some opinions on what to get before i actually purchase one. im running on vista btw, if that causes any problems for any of the products... and also any other recommendations on other products that are good to get is welcome ^^v

The tube version probably isnt worth the extra cost IMO, a simple FP10 would work well enough.

What are you planning on recording?
You should pick an interface based on the answer to that question...

As said above, the new Firestudio Project interface has slightly unstable drivers compared to the older FP10 so you may want to go with the FP10...plus it will save you some cash.
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 3, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
The Firestudio is a little more iffy on drivers compared to the old FP10. A new TI card may fix the problem but if you are running Cakewalk for your sequencer simply get yourself an FP10, there are so many complaint on the Firestudio and Cakewalk Sonar.

Yeah I've got the card with the TI chipset from my old pc, but I've just been incredibly lazy with installing it as I don't have a screwdriver haha.

It is making me consider downgrading back down to XP, which is a bit of a shame because I really like Vista.

I'm running Cubase SX3 at the moment, which I love. I'm not getting any issues with that (so far), just in playing audio from Windows.
The tube version probably isnt worth the extra cost IMO, a simple FP10 would work well enough.

What are you planning on recording?
You should pick an interface based on the answer to that question...

As said above, the new Firestudio Project interface has slightly unstable drivers compared to the older FP10 so you may want to go with the FP10...plus it will save you some cash.

ive been messing around and laying out some stuff on fruity loops so far... planning to record some guitar harmonies to put in fruity loops and layout drums and etc on top.
Well, if you're planning on only recording guitar with your setup, then adding drums and synths with Fruity Loops, then I think purchasing the FP10 is overkill, unless you plan on recording acoustic drums in the future (or other multiple inputs).

Sounds like you'd be fine with just a two input interface, like the Mackie Onyx Satellite.

Also, I would recommend you get some other software for recording your guitar, as I find Fruity Loops horrible for audio work, being that it's main focus is MIDI. What I would do is make my beats and synths etc. in FL, then export them to a multitrack DAW software such as Reaper (cheap download), then record my guitar over them in there. That'll give you better control over the audio recordings and make the whole thing easier IMO.
There is poetry in despair.
Well, if you're planning on only recording guitar with your setup, then adding drums and synths with Fruity Loops, then I think purchasing the FP10 is overkill, unless you plan on recording acoustic drums in the future (or other multiple inputs).

Sounds like you'd be fine with just a two input interface, like the Mackie Onyx Satellite.

yeah well most of the time, its going to just be only guitar recording, but im planning to do more in the future... electric drum set, vocals, bass, keyboard etc. so i figured its better to spend more now to get what i need rather than just getting a two input one and need more later... plus it seems like i would get better quality with the firewire ones over the smaller usb ones.

Also, I would recommend you get some other software for recording your guitar, as I find Fruity Loops horrible for audio work, being that it's main focus is MIDI. What I would do is make my beats and synths etc. in FL, then export them to a multitrack DAW software such as Reaper (cheap download), then record my guitar over them in there. That'll give you better control over the audio recordings and make the whole thing easier IMO.

thanks, i was actually wondering how good fruity loops would be for recordings... ill look into reaper. ive heard cubase is also a good program to use... which would be a better program to learn?
Last edited by kburns808 at Oct 4, 2008,
If you're running Vista, take a look at the M-Audio line of interfaces. Their drivers are solid.

Astronaut, I don't think swapping to TI based firewire card will do much for you. With firewire devices the controlling chip is in the device itself (in your case the PreSonus) rather than in the expansion card. Even though your expansion card may have a TI chip in it, it's simply a pipe to the PCI bus in your PC. TI based chips do make a difference in the USB world however...

Don't discount Fruity Loops. It's certainly not built for recording guitar, but it can do some amazing things if you take time to learn it. In fact, learn it well enough and you won't have to record anything. You just create it right there in FL!
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic