(decided to make this here instead because I figure you guys know some recording tricks )

A couple of my friends asked me if I could make them a cd of all the material I have written cause they enjoy listening to it. Now since it's all basically acoustic with no vocals (can't sing or write lyrics lol) I was wondering if there was anything I could do anything in recording them that could "spice" it up or make it more interesting to listen to rather than just me playing 1 guitar.

I'm not using anything fancy, just a cheap lil comp mike and audacity.

Also, i'm sure some of you will suggest some lead work, now using audacity what is a good way to record a lead over the rhythm track?

Thanks in advance all.
i agree with the guy ahead of me, sweep picking on accoustic is always cool AND ridiculously unnecesary
stereo channels

just make sure you record to a click track so any seperate tracks for leads fills and that can just be layered over.

drums? dunno if ur music is suited to them.

bass? piano? other insturments?
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
Quote by gunther_sucks
Just record the second track while the first is playing. You can align the tracks with audacity.

I'm not sure what you mean, what are you refering to? Me soloing over it or re-recording my rhythm track to give it a boost?

*edit*

Quote by bigtimmy
stereo channels

just make sure you record to a click track so any seperate tracks for leads fills and that can just be layered over.

drums? dunno if ur music is suited to them.

bass? piano? other insturments?

What do you mean by click track? / nub question
Last edited by Guitarfreak777 at Oct 2, 2008,
all professional guitar players usually record rhythm twice, and pan each track hard left, and hard right. It makes it extrememly full. And if you're doing any acoustic lead, that should just be recorded once straight down the middle.

A click track is just a track thats "clicks" a certain tempo, keeps you on beat. Think of it as a recorded metronome.
Quote by Ignite
all professional guitar players usually record rhythm twice, and pan each track hard left, and hard right. It makes it extrememly full. And if you're doing any acoustic lead, that should just be recorded once straight down the middle.

A click track is just a track thats "clicks" a certain tempo, keeps you on beat. Think of it as a recorded metronome.

Oh okay thanks!

So would it be the same as just copying the same rhythm track and panning one to the left and one to the right?
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Oh okay thanks!

So would it be the same as just copying the same rhythm track and panning one to the left and one to the right?

Not really.

The 'fullness' of the effect is due to human inconsistencies in playing. All the subtle differences make the rhythm playing more 'full'.