So our band has been together about a year now. We click well as musicians and we all get along with one another (we actually just got a house between the three of us so we could have a perm. studio space).

However, our bassist is making things a headache to get done. He's talented and he always comes up with cool ideas, and he's a cool guy in general. Lately though, he rarely wants to practice in the studio (he'd rather leave and go jam with other people less experienced then come back later in the evening), he never wants to work on any of the riffs or songs we've come up with (he says he doesn't "feel like playing a previously concieved idea"), and he's always complaining about somthing ("I'm just not 'feeling it' today", "I can't seem to get my tone right", "Let's just jam, I don't want to get frustrated figuring stuff out", "I just can't tolerate the beats on the drum machine", etc).

I love to jam, it's fun and it gets my blood pumping, however the other guitarist and I have been working very hard coming up with what we feel are some really cool pieces of music, and the bassist just won't contribute. I really don't want to boot him out or be confrontational with him because he'll just get pissed and storm off, but I'm running out of ideas. I'm sincerely hoping some of you will have some insight.

Thanks in advance
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
kick him out of the band
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
inb4 bassits suck

just get a new bassist i would say if hes not commitied its time to get a new one
Clocks tick. Your days are numbered in low digits.
You look suspicious - suspect niggas is bitches,
Get chopped up, grade-A meat, somethin' delicious
Let him jam with others. It's always fun to go play with people when you are the best out of them as well as the other way around.

My guess is he doesn't want to be tied down into thinking working on original music is going to be work from now on then how it used to be. (you guys didn't used to have a "studio")

I'd say come up with some really cool stuff like you guys already are and start playing it around the bassist, trust me, if he's any type of musician that loves playing an instrument he will just be itching to write to a badass riff or whatever you might have.

That way, your not telling him to get to work and come write bass riffs (no one ever wants to think of making music as "work") and instead its making him want to play and come up with some parts rather than "having to"

Hope that helps.
Thank you all for the replies.

We've tried to a degree, I'll defenately try some of your suggestions guitarfreak, however it seems like he has an excuse for every occasion. Like I say, he's very talented and I'd hate to have to try to replace him, but I dunno what else to do. I don't take issue with his jamming with "the kids" (as he puts it), as I'm a firm believer in playing with as many different musicians as you can. It's just that he does it when we're suggesting, and even outright asking, him to hang out and lay down a track or two. Not even necessarily in the context of a song, just be creative and put it on a track.

I dunno, I'm fairly new to being involved in a band and I think between the group we have now we've got somthing special, if only we can get him on board.

Thanks again. Any further suggestions would be greatly appriciated (I've got the thread subscribed).
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Garou1911
Thank you all for the replies.

We've tried to a degree, I'll defenately try some of your suggestions guitarfreak, however it seems like he has an excuse for every occasion. Like I say, he's very talented and I'd hate to have to try to replace him, but I dunno what else to do. I don't take issue with his jamming with "the kids" (as he puts it), as I'm a firm believer in playing with as many different musicians as you can. It's just that he does it when we're suggesting, and even outright asking, him to hang out and lay down a track or two. Not even necessarily in the context of a song, just be creative and put it on a track.

I dunno, I'm fairly new to being involved in a band and I think between the group we have now we've got somthing special, if only we can get him on board.

Thanks again. Any further suggestions would be greatly appriciated (I've got the thread subscribed).

That's what is annoying him I bet, that would make it feel like a chore.

Picture this:

-You get an offer to go have a jam session with a group of people for an afternoon

OR

-you can sit and try and come up with stuff in a studio then have to play it over and over to get it recorded (depending on person how many times you will record something)

So simplified its:

-Make up stuff if I want to.

OR

-Make up stuff because I have to because we need to finish this song.

You and I both know which will be less stressful. I had to look at my guitar playing/recording another way when it started to become a chore rather than something I just love to do.

For instance, I use to try and record something every day/every other day. I noticed I started playing guitar less and less because I just began to think of it as "Oh crap I have lots of school work and I have to play guitar, I won't be able to chill with friends/play games"

I put down the guitar altogether for about 3 months because of this, not wanting to do a damn thing with my origional music. (even though I think i'm getting quite good)

After a while I started to pick up guitar to just have fun again (started by learning some cool riffs I had heard in some songs) and slowly began to play more and more but for my own enjoyment this time around. I was writing really cool riffs because I was enjoying it more and overall playing better.

Although, I did not and still do not play guitar everyday. Whenever I feel inspired or want to jam or learn something I pick it up. No other time because I don't want to play if I don't want to or won't have fun with it. Now it turns out that is prolly a few times a week but not everyday but you get my point.

tl;dr

Basically I would say that don't ask him to play bass if he clearly didn't have it in mind. It might cause him to start hating writing origional material because he "has" to write some tracks to record so you guys can finish a song.