I have been playing for about a year now and never really bothered to learn any real guitar terminology regarding the question I am about to pose, so please pardon my ignorance.

I have a cheap Epiphone Guitar I bought used about a year ago. I am having a continuing problem regarding the strings putting too much tension on the neck and body of the guitar causing a bowing action. The main problem is where the neck meets the body. Close to the sound hole there is cracking and splitting of the wood occurring because of the pressure. Not only does this cause continuing damage to the body of the guitar, but the strings are extremely far away from the fret board the closer you get to the sound hole/ body/ etc. In the past I have simply removed the neck by unscrewing it from the back, and putting small objects underneath to raise the end closest to the sound hole up to lessen the drastic height of the stings. This usually works as a temporary fix for about 2 months or so, before it gets bad enough that I have to do it again. The problem is the strings become very close to the fret board on the end where the tuning pegs are. I know there is a rod in the neck that can be adjusted but I don’t know exactly what this does or how much effect it would actually have. I don’t really care how it looks, but I would like to continue playing it. I am not afraid to work on the guitar especially since it cost me all of 200 bucks. So any advice, suggestions, opinions, would be greatly appreciated.
Quote by marshmellow666
get a new guitar

+1
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Getting a new guitar is BS. You have to adjust the action. That's what it's called. Don't ask me though. I don't know.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
I didn't think you could change the action on acoustics, maybe if you stuff around with the truss rod a bit it might fix it or you might snap the neck, anyway your better off getting a new guitar
Quote by 13-GUITARIST
I didn't think you could change the action on acoustics, maybe if you stuff around with the truss rod a bit it might fix it or you might snap the neck, anyway your better off getting a new guitar

You can you have to file the bottom of the saddle down and if it's too low you have to shim it up.
im stil a beginner at this sort of stuff but it sounds to me like you need a smaller action or a repair on the truss rod(i would kinda suggest takin it to the closest music store and ask questions)
Simon Seville
of the A & C
It sounds to me like there is serious damage occuring, due to weak design by Epiphone. The others might be right, it might just need to have a pro setup, but it sounds to me like the guitar is damaged to the point where you would in fact be better off getting a new guitar, as repairs would be difficult, and temporary at best. And a luthier would charge an arm and a leg. Check Craigslist, they usually have very good deals on acoustic guitars.

Pics would be very helpful in deciding what the best course of action is.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia