Page 1 of 2
Screw Palin and Biden.

Dion, Harper, Layton and May are where its at. Anyone else watching it?
i am the legal age to vote now
i am going to vote for dion
Quote by slafoo
Lol I love the fact you use the word majestic to describe titties... it's as if there are hundreds of titties majestically frollocking in a meadow somewhere *drifts off*
No, I'm watching the Simpsons.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
As a canadian, I must say all our options aren't very good.

Dion will never be taken seriously by the English, which consists of most of Canada.
I don't like Layton either. Something about him and the NDP...
If Harper gets majority, we could be doomed. Forget about the Block.

Green Party FTW! jk.

I'd go Liberal, but Dion?
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Anyways, this probably belongs in the political thread.

Sorry dude, this is Canadian politics.

Anything as long as there is no majority government is ok in my books.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
Quote by Aidan93
its a gang rape. everyone vs. Harper

basically lmfao

nothing any of them say really holds any value to me really... but based on the leaders i could NEVER see Jack Layton of Stephan Dion being prime minister.

IF i could vote i would support the Green party definitely.

EDIT: lol get rid of the bloc they suck
Elizibith May, whenever she opens her mouth keeps on b*tch smackin harper.

shes a tank
Quote by Thornography
Stephen is getting bashed big time.

They aren't letting him finish his answers, I find it very immature how they are interrupting him all the time.

Lol at Layton saying the NDP won't bring the Canada into deficit.
If you watch carefully (well, you don't really need to be...) you'll see Dion is being more careful with what he says. Harper is giving solid answers, and the leaders with the weakest parties (namely Layton and the rat-lady herself) are snapping endlessly because no one cares about what they'll do for us, because they wont get it anyway. It should be between Harper and Dion, really.
lol sounded like dion was gonna start crying "why are you saying that to me! its not true :'("
Quote by PitLurker
If you watch carefully (well, you don't really need to be...) you'll see Dion is being more careful with what he says. Harper is giving solid answers, and the leaders with the weakest parties (namely Layton and the rat-lady herself) are snapping endlessly because no one cares about what they'll do for us, because they wont get it anyway. It should be between Harper and Dion, really.

everyones being careful of what they say, its a national broadcasted debate which could change the course of the election.

and the smaller partys are taking shots at harper because hes the only right wing party at the table. everyone else is left of center
i really cant understand why the bloc is even a major political party.
Dion is just pathetic, Harper is getting owned, Duceppe really has no reason to be there, honestly, May and Layton are the only ones that actually seem decent.
If I could vote, I would vote for Steven Harper.

I have more liberal views, but I see that Steven Harper is more capable of leading the country than Jack Layton, Gilles Diuceppe, and especially Stephane Dion and Elizabeth May.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
Quote by Tedward
i really cant understand why the bloc is even a major political party.

They're more of an interest group, same with the Green Party. The Bloc Quebecois has enough votes from almost all of Quebec, which is a hell of a lot of votes to put a party as a major political party. The likely-hood of them being in power is 0% but they run for the sole purpose of spreading a message and influencing others about their cause.

Same with the Green Party. They don't appear to have the capability to lead the nation, as their ideologies primarily revolve around the environment. They would most likely never come to power, but they are there to share a message on what they believe we should to for the environment.
Great, first thing Dion will do if he gets in office is make a plan.

edit: (to sixwingmortal) Actually, the Green Party seems capable of running a country. May is tackling the same issues as the rest of the leaders in a manner that would be best for Canada, not necessarily the environment. She's been very active in the discussion whether they were debating economics, foreign policy, crime, etc. Duceppe on the other hand is only focusing on Quebec and the Bloc really is just an interest group.
Last edited by Godsmack_IV at Oct 2, 2008,
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Anyone think Layton succeeded in overtaking Dion in becoming the new opposition leader?

I think there's a legitimate chance. I'll be voting for him.
a guy told me that the tremolo bar was called the "distortionator"
It's a shame Stephane can't speak english well, his ideology is probably the best for Canada at the moment but his public speaking skills bring him down. I think it's funny how Duceppe can speak better english than Dion. We were actually talking about this in philosophy since we studying rhetoric, my teacher called Dion the anti-Hitler, good ideas but bad public speaking skills.

I normally back NDP but considering the current economic state and being on the verge of a deficit Layton won't help. I like his tax cuts for artists though, first 20000$ tax free for publishing/copyright money, considering that the average salary for an artist in Canada is 10-12 000$. It`d still be nice to see what they would do with a majority considering the achievements of Tommy Douglas, they really haven`t had a chance to prove themselves (except for Vancouver, which is supposed to be one of the best cities in terms of quality of life.)
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
jean creatian was an awful public speaker and he was in power for like fifteen years, bush is a bad speaker too.

i think that in a continent on the verge of economic breakdown it would be good to have an economist in charge, plus the issues that plauged the liberal party in the previous years seemed to be handled well by harpers administration.

IMO Harper seems to want to solve the countrys problems for the long term not do quick fixs to look good like the previous government.

im impressed that harper promised to lower the GST and then did it. unlike the liberals who promised to get rid of it and never did anything but make excuses.

sorry if i offended any liberals, i just grew up hearing about thier corruption and it kind of soured me on everything they do.
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
I'm a registered voter as of last year, but I haven't got my voter card yet. What do I do
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Great, first thing Dion will do if he gets in office is make a plan.

edit: (to sixwingmortal) Actually, the Green Party seems capable of running a country. May is tackling the same issues as the rest of the leaders in a manner that would be best for Canada, not necessarily the environment. She's been very active in the discussion whether they were debating economics, foreign policy, crime, etc. Duceppe on the other hand is only focusing on Quebec and the Bloc really is just an interest group.

I just watched the debate, and beforehand, what I said was based on assumption. May appeared to be more knowledgeable and she didn't have many weak points. However, I'm not sure if I'm ready to have someone like her in power. I'm still leaning toward Steven Harper, however, Jack Layton seemed to pose himself as a great and strong leader.
So..

..why was May even there? I'm pretty sure the Green party don't actually have any seats.
Quote by PitLurker
So..

..why was May even there? I'm pretty sure the Green party don't actually have any seats.

they aquired one when an independant crossed the floor, but he wasnt elected as a green.
fear is the mindkiller

CANUCKS
Quote by PitLurker
So..

I thought they gave them a pity seat last time around?

If I could vote, I would vote NDP or Conservative. I like having the Conservatives in power, because they seem to be doing good on the economy side of things, but I would also like to have the NDP as the opposition because when it comes down to it, I lean more on the left side and I haven't been impressed with the Liberals and I'm far from believing in the green party (I'm a logger's kid).
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by edvac
i am the legal age to vote now
i am going to vote for dion

He's so boring man, and besides, liberals are nothing but money-stealing scumbags.
NDP fo sho.

Dammit why am I not 18 yet?
Quote by Godsmack_IV
I'm a Liberal at heart; I'll probably vote for Harper.

edit: lol, they're arguing economics with Harper, an economist.

Harper is not an economist. He knows as much about economics as any 25 year old with a Master's degree. It's not that special.

And by the by, just because you're an economist doesn't mean that you're (a) a good economist, or (b) a qualified leader.
"My idea is that there is music in the air, music all around us; the world is full of it, and you simply take as much as you require." - Edward Elgar
I just finished watching the whole thing 10 minutes ago.

Quote by PitLurker

Dion is being very careful with what he says for sure and he's making a half decent attempt at discussing the issues. I really can't agree with his carbon tax though. Think about the non-profit organizations. What happen with them? They will get taxed for carbon emissions, but they do not receive money back because other taxes to not apply to them. It is most definitely not revenue neutral.

Layton... layton just presents himself as a big man. In reality, he's quite small and in my honest opinion, he would destroy the canadian economy. He doesn't understand the economic consequences for actions such as raising the minimum wage to make it "liveable." Newsflash: minimum wage will never be liveable. By raising minimum wage, employers will employ less people because they cannot afford to employ the same amount of workers. So while it's great for people who get actually have the jobs and $10/hr, it screws everyone else over because they can't get a job.

As for the bloc quebecois... Gilles Duceppe knows fully well that he'll never be prime minister. He's just there to represent his province. Although... you can tell that he's not exactly fond of canada. He refers to quebec as a nation, not a province on multiple occasions. So while his stated objective is to do what's best for canada, you know his real objectives are to benefit quebec as much as possible.

Then we have May... her policies are ok... but i honestly dont think shes the right person to be prime minister. she snaps at everything and doesn't make very strong arguments.

Harper doesn't have very good policies regarding the environment, but in this time of economic uncertainty, he's probably the best one to take care of it. He actually understands how the economy works. Every time the opposition accuses him of being like Bush, you should all just remember that the Canadian markets do not work like the American ones. American markets are free markets while the Canadian markets are controlled more by the government. For example, it is impossible for Canadian banks to go bankrupt because the government will buy the stocks back up. This means that Canada's markets have more flexibility than the US. This is also why Harper's "lets keep doing well like we've been doing" plan is actually a good way to go. He's made consistent surpluses in the budget every year with a minority government. He's also lowered taxes... TWICE. How far has any liberal government gone with a minority government? Not far my friends, not far.

Quote by Aidan93
everyones being careful of what they say, its a national broadcasted debate which could change the course of the election.

and the smaller partys are taking shots at harper because hes the only right wing party at the table. everyone else is left of center

The parties are taking lots of shots at Harper because they know that he's got the upper hand, but if you'll notice... Harper's the calmest one in the whole debate. He doesn't interrupt like May, Layton, or Duceppe. Just by the way that he conducts himself in answering questions and shooting off responses, you know that he knows what he's talking about.

Quote by Red.Washburn77
Harper is not an economist. He knows as much about economics as any 25 year old with a Master's degree. It's not that special.

And by the by, just because you're an economist doesn't mean that you're (a) a good economist, or (b) a qualified leader.

Yea, maybe that's true that he knows as much as any 25 year old with a Master's degree. But that's a lot more than any other party leader has shown.

I actually used to be a liberal supporter, but since Harper has come into power, i've been on the conservative camp. The US is getting owned. We need someone to support the economy first and foremost. Who better than someone who understands the economy? Because any of the other people are gonna run Canada into big deficits.

That's my $2's worth of thoughts.

Ohh yea... Try not to double post please. You may get warned by pit mods.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Page 1 of 2