Okay, well i join joined a new band playing rhythm guitar, and temporary lead.

The band is modern metal, so i need something really heavy.

Our Currect lead guitarist has the Marshall MG100DFX 100w amp.

I need something that can match up to it, but hes hes obviously not playing it full volume in a pratice space.

My budget cuts it down to buying it used.

My choices are

Marshall MG50DFX for $180 used.

Delivers a dynamic yet toneful punch
50W
12" speaker
2 channels (footswitchable)
Digital effects including reverb, delay, chorus, and flange
FDD (Frequency Dependent Dampening)
CD ins, plus emulated line out, and emulated headphone jacks
Marshall MG50DFX Combo Amp Specifications:
20-1/2"W x 19-3/4"H x 11"D
36 lbs.

Marshall Valvestate 100 for $222 used.

100 Watt Valvestate power stage driving 1x12'' speaker [VS100R] or 2x12'' speakers [VS102R].
ECC83 [12AX7] Pre-amp valve active on all 3 channels.
3 independent footswitchable channels, 'Clean', 'Overdrive 1' and 'Overdrive 2'.
Clean channel with Treble, Middle and Bass controls, plus Tone Shift switch for extra tonal options.
Overdrive 1 channel with its own Gain and Volume plus shared EQ with Overdrive 2.
Overdrive 2 channel with its own Gain, Volume and sweeping Contour control.
Power Dimension switch to give the effect of the greater saturation of a valve power stage of lower wattage being driven hard.
Built-in spring Reverb with separate level controls for the Clean and Overdrive 1/2.
Effects Loop with front panel Mix control.
Headphone jack [which mutes the internal speaker].
Line Out jack with Speaker Emulation for connection to external equipment.
Extension speaker jacks

Please help

thank you

~Shpunt
not the MG.....never the MG.
buy the valvestate instead.
MG's give you horrible everything.
just ask around, the valvestate is so much better than the MG.
neither are good amps, I'd get a crate v-series and a digitech bad-monkey instead

or a valveking

or if you need to go cheap, get a roland cube amp, especially for metal
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
valvestate

by far
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Im King Jackson
Dont even think of getting the MG, it sucks bad. Try a Crate Flexwave the 65watt one.

/epic fail
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
valvestates are pretty good, imo (most people hate them). never buy an MG though, at full volume it will give you rabies. check out roland cubes. their good high-gain modelling amps and there are some in ur price range
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by danyellenik
neither are good amps, I'd get a crate v-series and a digitech bad-monkey instead
This, or whatever kind of distortion pedal you like.

Valvestates sound like fizzy ass on the distortion channel. A Crate V50-112 will probably be louder than the 100w MG, and sound ridiculously better.
Get the valvestate, I had a chance to buy a 100 watt Marshall Valvestate on the cheap once and I passed it up for a 30 watt MG30DFX for the same price, biggest mistake I made lol.
Quote by danyellenik

or a valveking

or if you need to go cheap, get a roland cube amp, especially for metal

I'm pretty sure the crate v-50 is cheaper than any other amp you posted + it's really loud.

dunno how it'll pull off metal though..
Quote by Swap-Meet
I'm pretty sure the crate v-50 is cheaper than any other amp you posted + it's really loud.

dunno how it'll pull off metal though..

it actually pulls it off pretty good with an OD, theres a clip on youtube somewhere of it, and that's youtube's horrible quality
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
would the 100w valvestate pull of metal at a volume louder than the drummer?

and is it louder than the mg100?

is it better than the mg100?
Quote by Shpunt

i know on here the MG's get a lot of hate....but I know 2 guys that have the 100 wat halfstack, and they've both had it for a couple of years and they both love it. (both have been playing guitar for almost 10 years)

From what I've seen on youtube they don't sound too bad, but i prefer my v-50 over them forsure. I'm pretty sure the MG series is more overpriced than anything (i am not bashing, or protecting the MG).

either way...would you rather spend 180$ on a 100 wat USED amp or 199$ on a 50 wat all tube (pretty much as loud as a 100 wat solid state) amp brand new? Apparently they can pull off metal as someone on here said.

the crate is more than loud enough to get heard over a drummer + i think it's less heavy than a 100 wat SS
Quote by Shpunt

you should really look into the crate v-series like me, and a few others have recommended. It is much better, don't just buy an amp for the "marshall" name
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808