not my best, but I dug this up from about a year ago, behold my attempt at home recording <_< and also note I'd only been playing for about 1.5 years at that time so don't expect malmsteen but I think the main solo turned out better than I'd expected at that time

This is mostly an acoustical piece, the chorus is pretty cool sounding methinks nice and simple too, think "believe in nothing" by nevermore

please let me know what I can do to improve said song (I stumbled upon it today after so long, and I want to make it better/keep it), please ignore the obvious shittiness of the sound quality, I recorded using a 5 dollar mic and audacity to the best of my knowledge, bass and drums were done in guitar pro then exported as midi files, converted to mp3s then used in audacity (yea, now you know how low key this operation is haha). and I'm pretty sure one of the guitars I used was out of tune.

But whatever, I'd like to share it with you guys =)

http://www.2shared.com/file/4029523/759bf60d/weird_metal_song.html

Thanks for your critique!

edit: Drop D if anyone is wondering, was big into lamb of god back then (this is before I discovered/got into good old arch enemy/nevermore) =D
Last edited by cptazad at Oct 2, 2008,
sorry, but.... where can we find said song?
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
hey man, i like the song, it's got a good movement to it, and definitely flows nicely together, and the solo's are really solid, the only improvement I could say is maybe tune up your guitars so that they're both right on tune (you said yourself they were a bit out), and maybe get a better drum track, only being able to hear the cymbals gets annoying after a while. other than that though, the guitar part is good, quality of the sound is poor, but thats fine.

tl;dr: improve the quality of the sound, and maybe think about writing some lyrics for it.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
This song song is very interesting.

The beginning kind of makes me think of the Melvins or something like that, then came the clean part, which was totally unique and cool. Especially that high bendy thing you do (like at 1:10 for instance).

This next riff, the drony type of thing, I'm not really big fan of... It just kind of drags on way too much.

I didnt really understand the beginning of the solo... like it didn't seem to fit with the other stuff going on, but it started to make more sense when the drums came in.

Then the heavy part at like 3:30 was awesome, don't change anything about that. And the way the second solo worked with this was incredible. Honestly, I might end it right at this part, I didn't really feel like going back to the other stuff was necessary. Just my opinion though.

One thing though - are you going to have vocals in this song? Cause that might fit over top of the clean part and probably make the drony thing sound better and more interesting. I don't know though.

Another thing I noticed overall about the song was the drum beats. I know you tabbed them out in guitar pro, but they sound kind of random and stuff. In the words of Kirk Hammet, "It's real confusing...."

This song is very different from most stuff you hear on here, though, and I like that alot.

If you get the time, check out my song:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=967492
Thanks guys!

@muse-ik:
One of these days I'm going to book a small studio and record as many of my songs as I can, this will be one of them. From start to finish (recording/editing wise) it took me I do believe 5 hours to do this song, I had a real problem getting around how to put drums in the background and settled for the guitarpro/midi to mp3/audacity approach, the mic I was using didn't help either. As for lyrics, I don't know, I used to write lyrics ina book which has long been misplaced, and I find that it gets harder for me to write lyrics w/o getting overly melodramatic or getting into a loop (if you know what I mean, where you just repeat stuff but using different words).

----------------

@Brain245:

The drony riff, are you referring to the chorus? I think it sounds good, this kind of riff I've never really written before but I think it came from my influences associated with a little band called Nevermore. Trust me, when you put vocals over top of it, it'll sound a lot better like you said, I write music in a strange way, I can hear things in layers, so if I'm writing a guitar part I'll be thihking at the same time what will it sound like with clean vocals, death metal vocals, what about the drums, the bass, rhythm guitar, overdub, etc. This is actually a really neat ability I have but man oh man is it time consuming, to write one guitar part takes me 4 times the normal time most people would b/c I'm over thinking it.

You're write, I'm thinking of just ending the song like fading it out after the solo, maybe after the solo it goes back to the chorus and it fades out. This song is far too long (5 min....) unless it had a good message to convey lyrics wise.

The drum beats I confess are a blunder. I wrote this more than a year ago and at that time my knowledge of drums was lacking. Add to that the fact I didn't really know how to write drum tabs into guitar pro....but I will def. be revising all drum parts to this song, hopefully this wknd when I get some free time.

I'll check out your song and critique it before bed tonight!

Thanks again guys!