My old amp is pretty much done with. I'll list the usual questions someone might ask

- i play alot of classic rock, rock, blues, some older metal (iron maiden, metallica)
- practice amp will be located in small room
- i rarely crank the amp so it needs to sound good at low volumes
- i already tested a slew of them out in stores and have it down to like 5 of them but i want to hear other opinions
- budget is $200-300, i can spend more but since it's only a practice amp i don't want to
- the place i am buying it does not have many fender or epiphone models

Let me have it
Mention the amps you have it narrowed down to and we could give you suggestions on those too?
those oranges are unrealistic. vox AD15 would be a good option
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
TT Combos are unavailable in the USA. Heads are 550 new.
cubes, crate V series, epi VJ (if you can get it) + OD, vox valvetronix.
definitely not line 6 or marshall.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Peavey Vypyr 30/60w.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Quote by theoreticmusic

How heavy can you get on that TT? And do you find it a problem that it doesn't have a full eq?
Quote by tona_107
How heavy can you get on that TT? And do you find it a problem that it doesn't have a full eq?

I can do the lower regions of metal without a pedal. With an OD, I can do lots more.
And the lack of a 3BEQ can get annoying, but the tone knob does a pretty good job. If it ever gets really annoying, I can just buy an EQ. it's a killer price, really.

Don't judge me.
Quote by SG310user

cretin.

Quote by theoreticmusic

cretin.

Quote by silly hats
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=9MpZoWsFlJQ

There you go.

Man I'd love one but they're around 800 AUS, besides I haven't got a cab.
I'll stick to my future Little Giant plus a OD booster.

cretin.

you'll never get the best out of a valve amp at bedroom volume

get yourself a nice ss modeller.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
cretin.

you'll never get the best out of a valve amp at bedroom volume

get yourself a nice ss modeller.

****in' really? you want to call people stupid for suggesting valve amps? I play my TT all day at "bedroom" volumes. As well as my Mesa. You may not get the best out of it, but it's not as if it sounds bad. And there isn't a nice (Flextone: iffy, Vetta) SS modeler in his price range. Jackass.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
****in' really? you want to call people stupid for suggesting valve amps? I play my TT all day at "bedroom" volumes. As well as my Mesa. You may not get the best out of it, but it's not as if it sounds bad. And there isn't a nice (Flextone: iffy, Vetta) SS modeler in his price range. Jackass.

Lol, microcube, vox valvetronix, etc.
I have had low wattage valve amps, high wattage valve amps, whatever. I love the valve sound, I would take it over SS every time. WHEN CRANKED LOUD ENOUGH FOR IT TO SOUND GOOD.

For me SS is a much more usable bedroom tool.

I think I should be commended on typing that well whilst plastereed ^)
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
lol

Vox AD30VT
Roland 30x
Peavey Vypyr 30
Epiphone Valve Junior <--not really available

I just want opinions of these and others because i can still go paly some more
Quote by timi_hendrix
Lol, microcube, vox valvetronix, etc.
I have had low wattage valve amps, high wattage valve amps, whatever. I love the valve sound, I would take it over SS every time. WHEN CRANKED LOUD ENOUGH FOR IT TO SOUND GOOD.

For me SS is a much more usable bedroom tool.

I think I should be commended on typing that well whilst plastereed ^)

Oh. Alcohol. I should have guessed. Microcube and Valvetronix aren't great. They're only ok. And its acceptable for you to have that opinion, I have no problem with that. It's the calling people stupid part that I don't get...
But I still have to disagree. My tubes sound good at low volumes, and their best when saturated. Doesn't mean they don't still sound better than a Microcube.

Don't judge me.
Vox AD30VT
Roland 30x
Peavey Vypyr 30

i cut it down to those three. I have to make my decision by tomorrow morning. I just want something that plays some nice cleans but also needs to be able to play some metal/rock. I'm kind of doubting the Vox for some reason.
Quote by metaxis
Vox AD30VT
Roland 30x
Peavey Vypyr 30

i cut it down to those three. I have to make my decision by tomorrow morning. I just want something that plays some nice cleans but also needs to be able to play some metal/rock. I'm kind of doubting the Vox for some reason.

Can't you play them?

Don't judge me.
Quote by rushisrighton
I'm lovin my vypyr 75, god this amp can sound good.

the Peavey vypyr has a bunch of different sounds and efx built in so its a littble more fun to mess with rather than just having one sound.

Thats what I would get.

The 75 can keep up with drums for practice so you might go with a smaller vypyr if ur looking for something real quiet.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Can't you play them?

play em and see if you like em.

I'm sure you'll like the vypyr the best tho.
i played them but in a loud guitar shop it's really hard to go over everything with a fine tooth comb. I liked all three to tell you guys the truth but i really didnt get much of a chance to test them thoroughly.
Quote by metaxis
i played them but in a loud guitar shop it's really hard to go over everything with a fine tooth comb. I liked all three to tell you guys the truth but i really didnt get much of a chance to test them thoroughly.

i think you kinda ruled it out...........but if you get a epi vj and a couple pedals. and do some a few mods you will be rewarded with sounds of your dreams. the bitmo spanky mods are cheap and easy to do. tubes are easy to change. the output transformer is an easy swap. it may sound like alot but the rewards are well worth it. if your not planning on leaving the bedroom the bimo spanky and a couple pedals sound amazing. or look into a blackheart or orange tt.............but there is no substitute for tubes even at bedroom levels.
Peavey Vypyr 30. The 75 is WAYYYY TOO LOUD. seriously, the 75w is very loud and not the best for quiet playing since the one i played went from the volume being at 1 and barely hearing anything, to 2 and loud. 3-4 are even more insane.

The 30w has the same exact things as the 75w only more manageable with the volume

Tube amps are not worth it for playing quiet. i get tired of hearing everyone suggest tube amps for everything. The low watt tube amps aren't very versatile for heavier stuff and clean stuff, as well as they dont have enough usable gain and you have to rely on pedals. With high end SS modelers a lot of times own tube at lower volumes.

The Vypyrs are cheap, and you don't need to buy anything extra like an OD or delay, or chorus, you have EVERYTHING and damn do i mean EVERYTHING right there
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Oct 3, 2008,
Quote by pak1351
super champ xd

TS - you really should add this one into your short list. Test run them all before you pony up the cash.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
TS - you really should add this one into your short list. Test run them all before you pony up the cash.

I just did and WOW. It's funny, i left earlier this morning to go test one out but i could only find one store with them in stock (and i live in a city of about 4 million) and all i could say is that i'm sold. They had 4-5 in stock so i plan to go back tomorrow with my guitar to test it again and buy.
I played one again recently too, great little amps. cheers
To get a tube amp down to LOUD bedroom levels you can always buy an attenuator. It would still be loud though.
Congrats. They are great amps!

Pics or it didn't happen. lol
Quote by pak1351
super champ xd

Except for the lack of Wah, this amp is way better than the Vox's. It's probably my favorite practice amp, but I don't own one.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
A SuperChamp XD might struggle with the metal part but
A Vypyr might struggle with the blues part.

I hope to play a vypyr this weekend.

Hey, that what you should do. Play some of these amps in question and go from there. Or go second hand *craigslistcough*

Edit: Nevermind. I must have late posted or something. Glad to see you got an amp that you like.

I've played it too and was very happy with it.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 4, 2008,
Congrats my friend. I feel like it's the best bedroom amp available at the moment, nice to see others feel the same.

Happy playing
Quote by pak1351
Congrats my friend. I feel like it's the best bedroom amp available at the moment, nice to see others feel the same.

Happy playing

+1.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I tried the vyper and wanted to throw the dam thing after about 5 minutes...."god this amp can sound good"---how long did it take you to get it to sound good????
Quote by rocket7171
I tried the vyper and wanted to throw the dam thing after about 5 minutes...."god this amp can sound good"---how long did it take you to get it to sound good????

I tried the Vypyr 30 also last weekend and i thought the same thing. I'd heard other people mention that some peavey's sound like a "blanket thrown over the speaker" and didn't really know what they meant until i played that amp. I liked the super champ alot better, but they still don't standup to the Vj with a POD.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD