Alright, first things first.

I WILL NOT be able to afford a really nice tube amp/stompbox rig in my current situation, so don't recommend me one.

I currently have a Traynor YCV-20, which has great cleans and not much else.

I have been contemplating getting a decent modeling unit like the POD X3, GT-10, or w/e, but I have heard that they don't sound a whole lot better through an amp than they would through a good PA system or mixer. I want the versatility of these units, but I don't want to sacrifice the dynamics and harmonics of tubes. My home setup is fine, and this would be primarily for live use.

So I have a few questions...

Would a nice tube power amp give the modeling unit some tube warmth, or would it be masked?

Would I be better off getting a stereo speaker setup and forget about tubes?

What kind of difference would I notice with the unit running direct to the speakers, rather than running through an amp?

I play everything, and my budget would be <$1000 USD, not including the POD or w/e ($499 USD).

Thanks.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
I'm not sure what you're saying...
you don't have the budget for a really nice tube amp/stompbox rig, but you have $1500 bucks to shell out for a power amp, speaker rig, and mfx pedal?

That's a great budget. Please clarify....
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
I'm not sure what you're saying...
you don't have the budget for a really nice tube amp/stompbox rig, but you have $1500 bucks to shell out for a power amp, speaker rig, and mfx pedal?

That's a great budget. Please clarify....

I have somewhat of an all-or-nothing attitude when it comes to my tone.

I NEED the versatility and at least usable tone (I like the POD...).

I WANT the TONE, but can't afford it. (Believe me my current dream rig would cost me well over $5000 USD).

Does that clear up anything? Sorry if its not making sense.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Don't judge me.
Hmm...I'd go for:

Boss GT-10 or Zoom G9.2tt. The latter has preamp tubes, is cheaper, and has a sweet pedal, the former is well-built, can pull off loops, and is from a good brand. $400-$500. With the rackmount software, you'll need a MIDI controller.

Carvin 100W TS100. Tube power amp: $575 with shipping.

Avatar speakers. Your call on what you want in them (Hellatones, GT75s) or the size.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Hmm...I'd go for:

Boss GT-10 or Zoom G9.2tt. The latter has preamp tubes, is cheaper, and has a sweet pedal, the former is well-built, can pull off loops, and is from a good brand. $400-$500. With the rackmount software, you'll need a MIDI controller.

Carvin 100W TS100. Tube power amp: $575 with shipping.

Avatar speakers. Your call on what you want in them (Hellatones, GT75s) or the size.

Eh. Even the T.C. Electronic Floor Pedals beat the pants off of Zoom and Boss. and the footswitches for the rackmounts aren't that expensive. But that power amp is good.

Don't judge me.
I've heard a lot of good things about the TC electronics stuff, but most of it is pro level stuff, and I don't have any experience with the cheaper models. Are you suggesting that just because its TCE?

And as far as tube power amps go, will the ones suggested really give me some dynamics? Or would it just be there to warm up the digital tone?
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Quote by USAPeavey
I've heard a lot of good things about the TC electronics stuff, but most of it is pro level stuff, and I don't have any experience with the cheaper models. Are you suggesting that just because its TCE?

And as far as tube power amps go, will the ones suggested really give me some dynamics? Or would it just be there to warm up the digital tone?

Eh. Power amp really just provides power. It might color the sound a little, but the best ones dont (warmth is not included in this). I'm not sure how much warmth they'll add, but I put a preamp in the mix. And I have personal experience with the G and Nova Systems, and they're awesome.

Don't judge me.
Yeah I know high quality power amps are supposed to be transparent, but it just so happened that the ones suggested were tube, and I took it to mean something else.

I'm just wary to stray too far away from tubes, but I know they are not necessary for great tone.

Also, does the G system have amp models, or is it just a multi fx? I guess amp models arent requred, but the only ones I have experience with were modelers, and I just liked the way they worked.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

No modeling. That's where a preamp comes in.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
No modeling. That's where a preamp comes in.

ah..my bad. I though the engl was a power amp at first glance. Thanks.

I'll see if I can find somewhere to try the G system.

Still open to suggestions though. I'll take all the advice I can get.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
TS If you need a lot of tones on a budget forget about a rack setup, you are wasting your time and money going that route. Rack systems can sound awesome but they are not designed to be a "cost efective" solution to someone needing a super versatile setup. I recomend a line 6 Flextone, or if got the extra cash for the vetta, more power to you, its an awesome amp that will more than do what you are wanting. If you want a tube power amp then wait until the Peavey Vyrps hybirds come out, or look into a spider valve, although I cannot recomend etheir because I have never tried one.
Edit, the atomic amp would also be a good solution, tube power and decent FX procesor.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Last edited by Johnbryant at Oct 3, 2008,
A tube amp will warm up your sound and change the tone. I use a Classic 30 with my X3 Live. However, if you want to know what it will sound like recorded through the USB, you need to listen to it though a PA or other flat response, full range monitor. I like the sound of my X3 though the C30. I also have a cable running over to my PA, but usually keep that input turned down.
Quote by scott58

So these are basically a tube power-amp/preamp frame for whatever particular modeler I can find? Or am I missing something?

I also liked the flextone...I might go that route. I'll just have to try everything out.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

^ Yeah They are desinged to be used with a POD
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6