Hey, what's up. I know this is my first post on these forums, but I did read the FAQ before I posted =D But anyway, I guess I'll start on what the FAQ said to state then lol

I'm looking to buy an electric guitar this Christmas that I can really play a lot on.
My budget is from around $400-$1000. I like playing many types of music, but I already have two guitars that can play pretty clean cut so I'm looking for a guitar that would be used in heavy rock/metal. (Tool, Deftones, and Norma Jean-esque)

I'm currently playing on a Washburn I14, I believe it's one of their entry guitars in their idol series. My amp...is something that my uncle gave to my dad, and then my dad to me and I'm not sure on what year it was made but it looks pretty damn old, it's a Peavy Rage amp, the model number is 4600615 but I can't find it on the internet. I'm also looking for a new amp that would couple well with the new, heavy guitar I'm looking for.

I can play pretty clean, if that helps with the advice you guys can give me. I guess my issue now is that I'm getting into playing, I need to know my equipment and how it affects my playing sound, since I really only have time during my lessons to learn new playing styles rather than ask about gear. I am kind of willing to buy used, but if something were to be incorrect with the guitar I would be unable to fix it myself and would have to bring it to a shop since I really don't have the repair experience for myself yet lol

Edit: Also, I have a seperate budget for an amp that I'm willing to spend up to about $500 dollars on.

Thanks in advance for the help until I can get back on here and check, UG = the best.
Last edited by cathlicjoo at Oct 3, 2008,
Well, if you're budget's 400-1000, you should probably go a little higher than that entry-level Idol. I'm not really familiar with Norma Jean, but both Adam Jones and Stephen Carpenter make heavy use of Active pickups in their guitars, so you might want to look at Jackson, Ibanez, the ESP Ltd series, and maybe even some Agile guitars with EMGs in them. It's really your choice as to what specific style of guitar you want, (with vs without tremolo, thin/light vs thick/heavy, wood choice, etc) but the active pickups will probably be important to you.

Although, as I'm sure everyone will probably tell you in a second, you'll need a better amp to really get a decent sound out of these pickups especially, and if you get real EMGs as opposed to proprietary pickups, you might go over your budget if you get an amp as well. Do you have a guitar with decent humbuckers? If so, you could just get a good hi-gain amp and play through that.
Quote by Merzhost
Well, if you're budget's 400-1000, you should probably go a little higher than that entry-level Idol. I'm not really familiar with Norma Jean, but both Adam Jones and Stephen Carpenter make heavy use of Active pickups in their guitars, so you might want to look at Jackson, Ibanez, the ESP Ltd series, and maybe even some Agile guitars with EMGs in them. It's really your choice as to what specific style of guitar you want, (with vs without tremolo, thin/light vs thick/heavy, wood choice, etc) but the active pickups will probably be important to you.

Although, as I'm sure everyone will probably tell you in a second, you'll need a better amp to really get a decent sound out of these pickups especially, and if you get real EMGs as opposed to proprietary pickups, you might go over your budget if you get an amp as well. Do you have a guitar with decent humbuckers? If so, you could just get a good hi-gain amp and play through that.

Thanks man. I forgot to mention that I can have a seperate budget on an amp, up until about 400$-500$ Like I said, I don't much, if anything at all about the inner workings of a guitar or amp, but after reading this post I looked up EMG pickups and would definately like to get some. On the article I read it said I would need a very clean amp to take advantage of the EMG pickups, is this true? As far as humbucklers go (Had to research those to) I just have the ones that came stock on the Washburn I have. I also have another guitar that was given to me, it's an old Charvel guitar but I'm not sure what model it is. I can post pictures of it later. Whenever I first started playing my instructor said it was for more advanced players, but I haven't asked about me playing it since I first started so I'll probably ask him about it when I go to my lesson this afternoon.

Also, what effect would the wood have on the sound of the guitar? Do you have any website or guide to the workings of the guitar that you would reccomend I read to gain more information about the parts of one?
Last edited by cathlicjoo at Oct 3, 2008,
Adam Jones doesn't use active p'ups, and active pickups arent necessary to play metal.
Quote by MAYNARD
Adam Jones doesn't use active p'ups, and active pickups arent necessary to play metal.

Should I still be looking to get active pickups though if I want a heavier sound, in general?