So I bought a bass recently and I have been playing through a guitar amp. Its a 5w tube amp and it sounds good in my opinion (I have also played trhough a bass amp), but it isn't very loud, and I don't want to crank it up and wreck the speakers. It doesn't have quite as much bottom end as a bass amp though. For now this is fine for practicing in my bedroom, and my freind has a bass amp I can use when we jam, so I'm not really in any hurry to buy an amp. I'd rather just save up money and get a good one.

The most volume I would need would be to be heard over a drummer and guitar in an auditorium.

Also, I really like tube amps, are there bass amps that are class A tubes?

Can someone recommend some amps that would fit my needs?
whats the wattage of the guitar amp? its typicaly 3 times this figure (roughly)
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
if hes going solid state will he need to double/triple the guitarists all valve halfstack.

If he goes down the Tube road, which will cost him lots and lots

then just try to get it higher than the guitarists by about 50.

Have a look at Gallien Kruger, the RB series.

have a look at Ampeg SVT series for the Tube-y goodness

also if you want to save some cash Hartke make great sounding amps for about 2/3rds of the price of ampeg at most
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
As said before in many other threads, the bassist needs ATLEAST 2 to 3 times the power in wattage as the guitarist to be heard over him and the drummer. That is the unfortunate fate of bassists, needing to have too lugg an amp/cab set up the size of a house just to be heard at gigs.
If you want a tube bass amp you'll have to spend at least $700 on the head at least. There are no tube bass combos that I know of. You'll be looking at a $1100+ rig, and thats with a cheaper tube head like the Peavey VB2 or something.

Also, bass tube heads are quite weighty, until you get into heads costing you multiple appendages. Like the Peavey Classic 400 (out of production) weighs 90 lbs. I weigh 115. Yeah.
Tubes on bass amps don't sound as sweet as they do on guitar. I find tube amps not responsive enough for what i play but it's all personal preference.

As for tube bass amps you won't find much under the price of a Ampeg SVT or Markbass.

but as has been said aim for at minimum 1.5x the power of the loudest guitar amp in your band depending on the amp.

and please don't buy Behringher
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Blah blah 2-3X your guitarist blah blah....

Listen, let me tell you what. 300w. That's how many you need. More is good, but at least 300, preferably operating at full capacity.

Although I'd suggest getting 2,000w 2-ohm head with 4 8-ohm cabs of different configurations. Say, a 118, a 115, a 212 and a 410. Unless you want to biamp, in which case, phew...
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by WhyLater
Blah blah 2-3X your guitarist blah blah....

Listen, let me tell you what. 300w. That's how many you need. More is good, but at least 300, preferably operating at full capacity.

Although I'd suggest getting 2,000w 2-ohm head with 4 8-ohm cabs of different configurations. Say, a 118, a 115, a 212 and a 410. Unless you want to biamp, in which case, phew...

Well since the average guitarist uses about amps about in 75-150 watt range, then 300 is appropriate. If you have two guitarists and the drummer thumps the skins particularly hard, then maybe a little more.
Last edited by Randy Bobandy at Oct 3, 2008,
Quote by Randy Bobandy
Well since the average guitarist uses about amps about in 75-150 watt range, then 300 is appropriate. If you have two guitarists and the drummer thumps the skins particularly hard, then maybe a little more.

Yeah, like 2,000.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

Quote by WhyLater
Yeah, like 2,000.

With wattage like that, you could commit international terrorism.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by wouldyakindly
With wattage like that, you could commit international terrorism.

Or just be audible at a decent sized gig.
Quote by greekorican5
The most volume I would need would be to be heard over a drummer and guitar in an auditorium.
Also, I really like tube amps, are there bass amps that are class A tubes?
Can someone recommend some amps that would fit my needs?
Get as many watts as you can afford.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
GK 1001Rb and a Neo cab. Tis what I'm gettin.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
well do you have a price range. If you really want tube there's always a mesa boogie 400+ going on ebay for a good price Mountain dew has one maybe he'll pop in. Another choice would be a hybrid head look into the Gk Fusion range and some hartke and the Ampeg SSvt 3 and 4 pro.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I think a set rule on power isn't very reliable.

At church we have 200 people, there's an organ with a $4,000 Leslie speaker, mic'ed piano, sometimes keyboards, full mic'ed choir, people singing along, drums, acoustic... and all we have is a 60 watt combo bass amp pushing one 12" woofer, and can only turn it up halfway.

On the flip side, with the band I last played with, I played bass through five 18's, three of them being subwoofers, all pushed by around 4,000 watts. It made drywall dust and bugs fall from cracks in the ceiling in our practice space. The guitarist only had a 120 watt tube head and a 4x12 stack and could easily match my sound. When I played through an Ampeg 4x10 with my GK amp that was 480 watts into 8 ohms, the sound could barely keep up even with him on practice levels. His rig could easily blow mine out of the water even though I had over 3 times his power.

So yeah, acoustics and musical style impact this pretty significantly.
How hard is it to build an amp? I'm a fairly handy person because of working with my dad who is a contractor. He also has a shitload of tools. Would it be cheaper if I built my own tube amp?
Quote by greekorican5
How hard is it to build an amp? I'm a fairly handy person because of working with my dad who is a contractor. He also has a shitload of tools. Would it be cheaper if I built my own tube amp?

Tube amps carry huge currents in them, even when they aren't plugged in. Touch something you aren't meant to, and you're dead.

So make sure you know exactly what you're doing before you even consider making a tube amp for bass.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
Tube amps carry huge currents in them, even when they aren't plugged in. Touch something you aren't meant to, and you're dead.

So make sure you know exactly what you're doing before you even consider making a tube amp for bass.

They only carry the currents after they have been plugged in once. Capacitors can't produce current out of thin air, unless I am missing something.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Is it cost efficient? Or is this something that will cost more money to make rather than to buy one?
Quote by Double Basser
Tubes on bass amps don't sound as sweet as they do on guitar. I find tube amps not responsive enough for what i play but it's all personal preference.

Are tube amps less responsive at low frequencies or something? Maybe I'll just get a solid state amp.
Quote by gm jack
They only carry the currents after they have been plugged in once. Capacitors can't produce current out of thin air, unless I am missing something.

Chances are, it won't work first time. Train of thought I'm following here . Either that or modding an old one or something.

Quote by greekorican5
Is it cost efficient? Or is this something that will cost more money to make rather than to buy one?

Probably not. It would probably wind up being more expensive overall.

Quote by greekorican5
Are tube amps less responsive at low frequencies or something? Maybe I'll just get a solid state amp.

That's just his opinion. Most tube bass amps I've heard sound gorgeous.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
That's just his opinion. Most tube bass amps I've heard sound gorgeous.

Tubes don't have an attack as quick as solid state amps. SS amps respond far quicker to what you play than tubes, in relative terms.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by greekorican5

Tube amps are the wish of most Basists; the two main problems are weight and cost, a major factor regarding tubes/valves is that there are so many variants of the same model, some preamp valves/tubes overdrive early and are therefore more suited to guitar, the same applies to the output stage where horses for courses is the rule.
Ans lastly surely it would be far nicer to say that your father has a Shedload of tools.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
Tube amps are the wish of most Basists

Ehh... I don't think that's the case. I simply like SS more than tubes, and really, MOST bassists I know are the same way.

Most guitarists I've known, yeah, tubes. But I'm just fine with my SS, kthx.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

Quote by WhyLater
Ehh... I don't think that's the case. I simply like SS more than tubes, and really, MOST bassists I know are the same way.

Most guitarists I've known, yeah, tubes. But I'm just fine with my SS, kthx.

You will one day when you've been through the mill.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn