Page 1 of 3
who's phil lynott?

(btw, u just got ur answer)
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by OrangePossum
Because it's for the money, people nowadays know Pete Wentz more than Phil Lynott.

see. for the record i do know phil, but i was making a point
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by Randy Bobandy

1. agreeing with everyone else, that's where the money's at.
2.in mark hoppus's case, his sig bass is somewhat different from any other fender model. In the case of pete wentz, see reason 1 and multiply it 1000 times.
3. Phil's bass wasn't that special. You can make you're own. just get a black p-bass with a maple fingerboard, and replace the pick guard.

That said, he deserves a signature so much more than wentz or hoppus.

Also, RIP Phil...

Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by kugelspot
1. agreeing with everyone else, that's where the money's at.
2.in mark hoppus's case, his sig bass is somewhat different from any other fender model. In the case of pete wentz, see reason 1 and multiply it 1000 times.
3. Phil's bass wasn't that special. You can make you're own. just get a black p-bass with a maple fingerboard, and replace the pick guard.

That said, he deserves a signature so much more than wentz or hoppus.

Also, RIP Phil...

Well then explain how a Squire p with one volume knob is so special?

Personally i love the look of Phil's classic bass, with that cool as f u c k mirror pickgaurd.

They did a Jaco sig and Geddy Lee sig, not exactly well known names in public, so how would the "name" status even matter in that case?

The great man deserves it atleast, C'mon Fender!
Quote by Randy Bobandy

I just said it wasn't. the hoppus is, though he doesn't even deserve one

Quote by Randy Bobandy
They did a Jaco sig and Geddy Lee sig, not exactly well known names in public, so how would the "name" status even matter in that case?

they're really well known to bassists. plus, while most people know Thin Lizzy, not that many people know about Phil himself

Quote by Randy Bobandy
The great man deserves it atleast, C'mon Fender!

he does. he truly does.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
But he IS very well known in th U.K. Hell, there is a giant bronze statue memorial of him in Dublin Sqaure.

EDIT very well known bassists would be Paul McCartney, Mingus, John Entwistle, Bootsy Collins,and maybe even Gene Simmons. If you asked random people on the street who Geddy Lee or Jaco were, you would get big confused WTF faces most of the time.
Last edited by Randy Bobandy at Oct 3, 2008,
I'm aware of the statue in dublin, but fender is an american company, and he's really not well known outside bass circles here
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by kugelspot
I'm aware of the statue in dublin, but fender is an american company, and he's really not well known outside bass circles here

Well Sting got one. He's britsh. But i guess he's also a household name everywhere so I'm beat on that too
^ same thing as Pete Wentz and Mark Hoppus. I'm not saying Phil doesn't have a sig becasue he's Irish, I'm saying that he's not well known in the states, even if his band is
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by kugelspot
^ same thing as Pete Wentz and Mark Hoppus. I'm not saying Phil doesn't have a sig becasue he's Irish, I'm saying that he's not well known in the states, even if his band is

yeah, hes just not a money maker

PS: holy hell im still sigged, wow
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
"friday night they'll be dressed to kill
down at Dino's bar & grill.
Drink will flow, blood will spill
If the boys wanna fight you better let them.

That jukebox in the corner blasting out my favorite song.
The nights are getting warmer, it won't be long.
It won't be long till summer comes
Now that the boys are here again.

The boys are back in town, the boys are back in town.

Spread the word around.

R.I.P. Philo.
Quote by OrangePossum
Because it's for the money, people nowadays know Pete Wentz more than Phil Lynott.

money, call it selling out if you want? ha +1
It wouldn't actually be to bad to have a Phil Lynott Sig Bass.
He is well known.

But as everyone has stated, its all about the money!
*The BASSics* Of the Australia FTW! Club.
Quote by Randy Bobandy

When you figure that out, explain to me why an American Fender p-bass with a maple neck and a mirrored pick guard is so special. The only custom thing on it being a mirrored pick guard. It's the same deal as the Mark Hoppus, there's nothing too special there. Except Mark Hoppus is actually halfway well known and Phil Lynott is practically unknown. I know I've never heard of him.
For the record...Back in the 70s, Thin Lizzy were rather huge in the states, and quite of few people who endured that decade would remember Phil. I bet Rick (83lespaulstudio) remembers Phil. I remember seeing pictures of Phil and thinking damn--a good looking, Irish, black, lead singing bass player---wow...

But honestly, we're not the audience who are buying signature basses these days (well with the exception of my lust for an Urge II). Its all economics, plain and simple.
I stand corrected--he was born in England and died there according to wiki....

*makes mental note on info and to start checking stuff like that with Ben before posting and looking like an idiot*
The thing is that apparently phil lynott never played for his first couple of gigs because he was that crap at bass and they eithier just used a recording or got someone to stand in the shadows. But i still think he's a wonderful bassist and should overall get a sig much more than pete wentz. Come on like there's a statue of him of grafton street and if you go into music maker there's like 3 posters of him.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Randy Bobandy

Why can't Fender do something like a full size re-issue Phil Lynott sig P bass instead of wasting trees by making sig basses for pieces of shit like Pete Wentz and Mark Hoppus?

What would there be to reissue he used a bog standard Bass probably modded to his own liking; if it was you'd also need his rig as well to get his sound.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
When you figure that out, explain to me why an American Fender p-bass with a maple neck and a mirrored pick guard is so special. The only custom thing on it being a mirrored pick guard. It's the same deal as the Mark Hoppus, there's nothing too special there. Except Mark Hoppus is actually halfway well known and Phil Lynott is practically unknown. I know I've never heard of him.

Well I guess you must be like 13 or something. If the guy isn't a trendy pop star then no one will know who he is. Well that kinda sucks...

To be honest it is not beacuse i think his bass is special, it is becasue the man deserves to be honored. His music has touched my life and many others. How many other bass players can write and sing songs as sincere and heart felt as phil? None.
Mariusz Duda can. Riverside is much better than Thin Lizzy, but none of them have signature gear. Its all based on money anyway.
Quote by hippiebass
Mariusz Duda can. Riverside is much better than Thin Lizzy, but none of them have signature gear. Its all based on money anyway.

Shit, if the whole concept of sig gear is based on the money/famous celebrity aspect, then why TF don't they make a Jerry Seinfeld sig bass? Or a Ashton Kutcher sig bass? or a Barrack Obama bass?

On that concept it becomes pretty f**king stupid don't you think?
Last edited by Randy Bobandy at Oct 3, 2008,
Quote by Randy Bobandy
Shit, if the whole concept of sig gear is based on the money/famous celebrity aspect, then why TF don't they make a Jerry Seinfeld sig bass? Or a Ashton Kutcher sig bass? or a Barrack Obama bass?

On that concept it becomes pretty f**king stupid don't you think?

Cause they're not bass players maybe?

Signitures go to the players in the biggest bands in the world. Every band got there on it's own merits - yes this includes Fall Out Boy and Blink182.

If you have a problem with poppunk, gtfo, this is not the time or place.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Randy Bobandy
To be honest it is not beacuse i think his bass is special, it is becasue the man deserves to be honored. His music has touched my life and many others. How many other bass players can write and sing songs as sincere and heart felt as phil? None.

ya, he does deserve to be honored. it's just that fender doesn't care. sure, I'd love a Phil Lynott sig p-bass, but they don't have enough of an incentive to do it. sad, really, but true nonetheless.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by Deliriumbassist
How can some people not know the function of oestrogen in the maintenance of bone structure?

If people don't know, they don't know. Simple as.

I may not have gotten the Irish part, but damn I know the relationship of oestrogen, bone mass, hypogonadism and osteoporosis. So I am good potential consumer of vitamins with calcium. Unlike 99 percent of this forum.

My point? In the vast consumer landscape of bass purchases, Phil Lynott fans are like me in the bass forum. One a mere few in a group of many who care about something that never even hits most people's radars. So Fender sees no economic possiblity in it.
Quote by Jonnomainman
Cause they're not bass players maybe?

Signitures go to the players in the biggest bands in the world. Every band got there on it's own merits - yes this includes Fall Out Boy and Blink182.

If you have a problem with poppunk, gtfo, this is not the time or place.

Neither are Pete Wentz and Mark Hoppus..

Nor is Avril Lavene, who also has a Fender Tele sig BTW.

Chirst, Hanna Montana has her own guitar. How many albums has she put out?
Quote by Randy Bobandy
Neither are Pete Wentz and Mark Hoppus..

Nor is Avril Lavene, who also has a Fender Tele sig BTW.

Chirst, Hanna Montana has her own guitar. How many albums has she put out?

According to my dictionary:

Bassist (pro: bass-ist; Noun) : Player of a bass instrument

Looks like Wentz and Hoppus are bassists then. And neither bassists became famous overnight. Both bands went through years of paying their dues. I'm not having this "root note bashers aren't bassists" bollocks. Get over it already. They may not be the most technically proficient, but people like the music so they must be doing something right. The fact that you don't like them doesn't take away from the hard work they put in to getting where they are today.

Lavigne doesn't play bass, so she doesn't have a sig bass. She plays guitar though, hence why she has a Tele sig. Miley Cyrus has released 2 albums as Miley Cyrus, and appears on 4 albums as Hannah Montana. And being the daughter of Billy Ray Cyrus, it's not like she could have escaped playing guitar in her chuildhood, which she does. She's also a spokesperson for Daisy Rock, so really, it makes sense to give her a sig model.
Quote by Randy Bobandy
But he IS very well known in th U.K. Hell, there is a giant bronze statue memorial of him in Dublin Sqaure.

EDIT very well known bassists would be Paul McCartney, Mingus, John Entwistle, Bootsy Collins,and maybe even Gene Simmons. If you asked random people on the street who Geddy Lee or Jaco were, you would get big confused WTF faces most of the time.

Mingus played electric?
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Let's do a bit of pricing here...

Avril Lavigne Tele -249.00 USD
Pete Wentz - 279.99 USD

on the flip side

Stu Hamm Urge II - 1,799.99 USD
Lakeland Duck Dunn Sig - 1,049.30 USD

See a trend here? The fact is most of the signatures you are bashing are meant as entry level instruments to be bought by fans who want to play an instrument like their musical idols. They, for the most part, want to be like "fill in the blank". If you had taken my oldest when she was 12 and asked her to pick out a guitar, yes she would have bought a Avril Telecaster, because she was into emulating Avril at that time. (My son on the flipside is a kid who can discuss high end PRS guitars with the shop folks, but that's another story).

The great news is that some of these folks will get beyond the fan based instrument and become serious players. I personally hate the concept of Daisy Rock, but if that gets some girl interested in playing an instrument then its all good.
Quote by anarkee
Let's do a bit of pricing here...

Avril Lavigne Tele -249.00 USD
Pete Wentz - 279.99 USD

on the flip side

Stu Hamm Urge II - 1,799.99 USD
Lakeland Duck Dunn Sig - 1,049.30 USD

See a trend here? The fact is most of the signatures you are bashing are meant as entry level instruments to be bought by fans who want to play an instrument like their musical idols. They, for the most part, want to be like "fill in the blank". If you had taken my oldest when she was 12 and asked her to pick out a guitar, yes she would have bought a Avril Telecaster, because she was into emulating Avril at that time. (My son on the flipside is a kid who can discuss high end PRS guitars with the shop folks, but that's another story).

The great news is that some of these folks will get beyond the fan based instrument and become serious players. I personally hate the concept of Daisy Rock, but if that gets some girl interested in playing an instrument then its all good.

Well that only illustrates my point further. Stuu Ham and Donald Duck Dunn are not the most well known names in mainstream public culture, not any more them Phil Lynott anyway, yet they get $1,000 + sig models, our black irish rose got none and had more impact then both of those guys. If you asked some one on the street who Stuu Hamm was, you'd see a giant WTF look on their face. So much for the economics and popularity argument.

I'm just gonna set to work on making one myself.
Quote by Randy Bobandy
I'm just gonna set to work on making one myself.

Which may be the best route afterall.

As a coda here, as a bass player you need to hit your books. Duck Dunn was considered one of the most influential bass players to come out of the 1960s R&B era; if Motown was defined by Jamerson, then Stax and southern R&B was by Duck Dunn. Many of have picked up bass after listening to his bass lines. The man defined pocket playing for bass players.

Stu Hamm also was highly influential on bass playing--he bought bass forward as a solo instrument and is considered one of the fathers of two handed tapping on bass.

It isn't some kid buying these basses--its serious bass players who have the funds, btw.

And I love Phil Lynott, but he was a wonderful bass player of his era and broke a few barriers here and there, but not in his bass playing. It was wonderful and sonic, but typical for that era of time.
Hey Tams wouldn't it be a laugh if Gibson brought out a Jack Bruce or Andy Fraser sig EB3.
How many would take that serious?
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Lol John!

Lets just go for a John Entwistle sig and then we can turn this whole discussion into the "Why should the Ox get his own bass and how dare a company exploit the dead to make a profit" argument.

It be so much more fun...
Page 1 of 3