Page 1 of 2
I'm thinking of buying (or asking for Christmas) one of these, but I'm oblivious when it comes to amps and don't really know what's good and what's not so good.

I've got a New York Pro strat copy with both tones shot so I'm needing something that can compensate for that a little. I was thinking either the 15 or 30 watt version, seeing as I'm on a budget and don't to any gigging outside of some occasional stuff at church. Guitar Center seems to have a pretty decent price, but if anyone knows where I could get one cheaper (online) that would be good.

Line 6 strikes me as a decent company, and the Spider III has all sorts of cool looking effects on it, but I've never tried one out and honestly don't know anyone who even owns a Line 6 so....

Any help?
Spiders are honestly pretty terrible. Go a Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix for practice amp. Actually, screw that and buy a Peavey Bandit.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Only the more expensive valve spiders are nice. My friend has a spider III 15watt and it doesn't sound too great. All the effects sound really digital.

Get a Roland Cube
Quote by CedricL
Most will tell you to spend the money on another amp.

For practicing, take a look at Roland Cubes.

That looks interesting. Like I said, I need something that can compensate for my lack of tones until I have enough cash to buy a new guitar.

Oh, if it helps any, I play mostly rock, pop rock, punk, metal, and a little blues.
seriously, there are a ton of topics on this. read the stickies and use the search bar.

Peavey Vypyr and Roland Cube.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Search bar

Also you look like the guitarist who hasnt realized that most of the tone comes from the amp rather than the guitar. Yeah, thats right.

Cube series are really good for the price. These Vypyrs seem to be getting popularity as well

I'd highly recommend a Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by theoreticmusic
seriously, there are a ton of topics on this. read the stickies and use the search bar.

Peavey Vypyr and Roland Cube.

And the Vox Da5. I'm with Hwy as well, if the budget would allow a Super Champ XD is in order.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
all i can say, is the spider crushes the MG line of amps, however, i wouldnt go so far to say the spider III is GOOD. its good for stuff like sublime, cuz of the effects. [chorus/flange, in this case] but as u probably know, it has chorus/flange, phaser, tremolo, a few different kinds of echoes, and reverb. which can be cool. however, it WOULD be better to get a tube, and start a pedal board.

ps

whoever said 'they all sound digital' is gay. thats because all effects are digital.
טארה ניקול
&
נח ליאם

-1.24.11-
Quote by Lolopop

ps

whoever said 'they all sound digital' is gay. thats because all effects are digital.

OK. I've been trying to be nicer for a couple days, but it has to end here. You, my friend, are an idiot. All effects are not digital. Even many high-end digital effects do an excellent job of hiding their true state. Line 6 Spiders do not. Low end Modeling amps DO NOT. Neither do low end modeling pedals.

Oh, and for the sake of political correctness, someone saying that something is digital-sounding has nothing to do with their sexual orientation.

Don't judge me.
lol. you're funny. and you're right. not ALL of them are digital, but some are. digital delay, for one. and w/e. i'll rephrase just for you. he is an idiot. happy? maybe you're the one that is gay. since ur defending them, heres something to think about. first of all, i dont hate gay ppl, they just scare me. they will end our world one day, because everyone will go 'rainbow' and there will, eventually, be no re production. and the gay humans will die of AIDS. humans will be extinct. so consider that before you defend them.
טארה ניקול
&
נח ליאם

-1.24.11-
Quote by Lolopop
maybe you're the one that is gay. since ur defending them, heres something to think about. first of all, i dont hate gay ppl, they just scare me. they will end our world one day, because everyone will go 'rainbow' and there will, eventually, be no re production. and the gay humans will die of AIDS. humans will be extinct. so consider that before you defend them.

Completely off topic and baseless. I said nothing about whether or not I approve of or condemn homosexuality, you pulled that out of thin air. Nevertheless, this forum is not the place for you and your useless opinions, and that debate is NOT going to happen. Just go away.

Oh, reported.

PS: I've recently decided not to take any life advice from 15 year olds.

Don't judge me.
I dont have to go away buddy. =]. it isnt your forum, so dont try to act like the boss man, ok? and sure. im sorry. i was wrong. but it does appear that you went off topic first, by calling me an idiot and telling me how stupid i am. but whatever bro. i apologize for my wrongs. u should do the same. we should live in peace.
טארה ניקול
&
נח ליאם

-1.24.11-
Quote by Lolopop

a) no
b) warned

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by Lolopop
lol. you're funny. and you're right. not ALL of them are digital, but some are. digital delay, for one. and w/e. i'll rephrase just for you. he is an idiot. happy? maybe you're the one that is gay. since ur defending them, heres something to think about. first of all, i dont hate gay ppl, they just scare me. they will end our world one day, because everyone will go 'rainbow' and there will, eventually, be no re production. and the gay humans will die of AIDS. humans will be extinct. so consider that before you defend them.

I just died of laughter.

Quick, get to school and start educating yourself, because let me tell you if the worlds reproduction rates came to a hault its becauase natural selection killed off all the hillbilly morons like yourself that seem to fill this world.

So what if he is gay?
You can defend gay people without being gay.
Yeah everyones going to be gay, that makes perfect sense, even though gay people have existed for thousands of years and have shown no proof yet of overpopulating the straight people.
Straight people get aids to.

TS, get a roland cube 30 or Vox Valvetronix AD30VT, the modeling and built in effects is far superior to that of the spider.
=o... ok. now see... NO ONE calls me a hillbilly. and i apologized. so dont give me that trash.
טארה ניקול
&
נח ליאם

-1.24.11-
Quote by beckyjc
I just died of laughter.

Quick, get to school and start educating yourself, because let me tell you if the worlds reproduction rates came to a hault its becauase natural selection killed off all the hillbilly morons like yourself that seem to fill this world.

Can I nominate this for "post of the year" somewhere? Please? Someone PM me with where I should do that. Cheers beckyjc. I want to get t-shirts made.
Quote by Lolopop

Hi.
I have a lot of gay/lesbian/bi friends. You might think that you're being funny (you can't possibly be serious with that post), but maybe stop for a little bit and consider what you're doing before you post something like that. It's insensitive, it's pointless, and it's not something civilized human beings do to each other.
Quote by Lolopop
=o... ok. now see... NO ONE calls me a hillbilly. and i apologized. so dont give me that trash.

/caring

Your nonsensical rambling offended me, so I made that post on behalf of my community, and as a gay person myself I have every right to call you a hillbilly moron, because thats the kind of attitude your post had, just because you apologized doesn't make it go away.

Good day.

T-shirts are £30 each.
I'm glad I wasn't alone here.

Don't judge me.
Quote by beckyjc

T-shirts are £30 each.

We could easily get 40. And I don't know how I have resisted the urge to sig that. *bows to beckyjc*
It isn't as bad as people make them out to be. Most people who bash them have never owned one, or even heard them outside youtube. If you turn on the noisegate, which most fools fail to turn on since it requires you to READ THE ****ING MANUAL, you would see that it gets alot better. Because I agree, without, it's pretty much noise. But oh yeah you can also put on the ****ING DISTORTION BOOST TO WHICH ALSO REQUIRES YOU TO READ THE ****ING MANUAL.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Quote by Wigert
It isn't as bad as people make them out to be. Most people who bash them have never owned one, or even heard them outside youtube. If you turn on the noisegate, which most fools fail to turn on since it requires you to READ THE ****ING MANUAL, you would see that it gets alot better. Because I agree, without, it's pretty much noise. But oh yeah you can also put on the ****ING DISTORTION BOOST TO WHICH ALSO REQUIRES YOU TO READ THE ****ING MANUAL.

*deformatted because that was annoying. The Spiders are every bit as bad as most people make them out to be, and it IS the one amp that most people have had personal experience with.

Don't judge me.
Line 6 amps are digital. But they doesn't sound like it. You could get the sound you want from them. If you don't you must be pretty bad in adjusting the assholes on the amp. I would suggest a HD147 than a Spider3. I use a HD147 and I don't need anything else. It's awesome.
OMG jesus people, he has 200 bucks to buy an amp.

We all recommended that he doesn't buy the spider 3 because its a purely solid state amp with not so great modeling technology.

Now... wtf would you recommend to him?

I recommend you buy the crate v series 18 watt. Its an actual tube amp, and while it isn't spectacular for metal, you can get every other imaginable tone out of that sexy little combo. And if you do manage to take it out of the house for a gig, you'll be pleasantly surprised of how loud it can actually get.

EDIT: With the crate, you can just buy a small muff for like 80 bucks from electro harmonix (or how ever much it is, just get it on ebay, things are made out of steel)

There is the roland cube, of which I've heard nothing but praise from around in this forum, personally I've never tried it, but it sounds really good on reviews, and nobody really has something to say bad about it.

You could also get the peavey vipr, which I've heard some ok things about, and actually got to try out. Now, with that in mind please remember that I'm used to a tube amp. But really, the vipr was ok. Its a good amp, and it actually beats the spider 3 hands down.

Really dude? Go try some amps out at guitar center or sam ash or whatever else there is around you.

At this price range, stay away from the Marshall MG series or anything made by Behringer.
Last edited by sesstreets at Oct 3, 2008,
Quote by sesstreets
OMG jesus people, he has 200 bucks to buy an amp.

We all recommended that he doesn't buy the spider 3 because its a purely solid state amp with not so great modeling technology.

Now... wtf would you recommend to him?

I recommend you buy the crate v series 18 watt. Its an actual tube amp, and while it isn't spectacular for metal, you can get every other imaginable tone out of that sexy little combo. And if you do manage to take it out of the house for a gig, you'll be pleasantly surprised of how loud it can actually get.

EDIT: With the crate, you can just buy a small muff for like 80 bucks from electro harmonix (or how ever much it is, just get it on ebay, things are made out of steel)

There is the roland cube, of which I've heard nothing but praise from around in this forum, personally I've never tried it, but it sounds really good on reviews, and nobody really has something to say bad about it.

You could also get the peavey vipr, which I've heard some ok things about, and actually got to try out. Now, with that in mind please remember that I'm used to a tube amp. But really, the vipr was ok. Its a good amp, and it actually beats the spider 3 hands down.

Really dude? Go try some amps out at guitar center or sam ash or whatever else there is around you.

At this price range, stay away from the Marshall MG series or anything made by Behringer.

Peavey Vypyrs and Roland Cubes and Vox Valvetronix have already been recommended. I'm not sure what you're in a huff about. The V-Series is clearly not his best option here, and I'm tired of people recommending it like it fixes everything.

Don't judge me.
Quote by strat-rocker-06
I'm thinking of buying (or asking for Christmas) one of these, but I'm oblivious when it comes to amps and don't really know what's good and what's not so good.

I've got a New York Pro strat copy with both tones shot so I'm needing something that can compensate for that a little. I was thinking either the 15 or 30 watt version, seeing as I'm on a budget and don't to any gigging outside of some occasional stuff at church. Guitar Center seems to have a pretty decent price, but if anyone knows where I could get one cheaper (online) that would be good.

Line 6 strikes me as a decent company, and the Spider III has all sorts of cool looking effects on it, but I've never tried one out and honestly don't know anyone who even owns a Line 6 so....

Any help?

spiders have shitty tone in mine and other peoples experience... Sounds like angry bees in a tin can being kicked down a can and listening to Maroon 5
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by Roc8995
Hi.
I have a lot of gay/lesbian/bi friends. You might think that you're being funny (you can't possibly be serious with that post), but maybe stop for a little bit and consider what you're doing before you post something like that. It's insensitive, it's pointless, and it's not something civilized human beings do to each other.

you sir get the UG humanitarian of the month award.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Super champ xd
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
spiders are not bad amps. i have them for practice at home when my tube amps are 2 far away. there are better amps in the same price range. but don't forget you're awesome getting a tuner, flanger,delay echo, tremelo and other features. the spiders doesn't sound so digital if you learn how to tweak it. alot of people here are bashing them not based on first hand knowledge and read up reviews on these very few individual who has actually owned them. so the bottom line is TS. you shouldn't listen to what everyone says. because most of them are arrogant punks who likes to jump on the line 6 hate wagon.
Quote by VanTheKraut
spiders have shitty tone in mine and other peoples experience... Sounds like angry bees in a tin can being kicked down a can and listening to Maroon 5

i suppose your fender frontman is much better
I agree with the super champ, since he said he does the occasional gig, so a 15w watt tube amp would be perfect, and I don't think he's playing metal so it's a double whammy.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Alright then. I'm not gonna fight anymore. Once again, I apologized. I was already angry, because my silverburst died just before i posted that. =\ So... accept my apology or dont. I'd prefer that you go for peace, but w/e. And btw, Once again, I never said i hate gay/bi/lesbians. I dont. And you're right. An apology cant make it go away. But I cant travel back in time either. So... All I can do is offer my sincerest apology. I won't make the mistake again.
טארה ניקול
&
נח ליאם

-1.24.11-
Quote by Lolopop
Alright then. I'm not gonna fight anymore. Once again, I apologized. I was already angry, because my silverburst died just before i posted that. =\ So... accept my apology or dont. I'd prefer that you go for peace, but w/e. And btw, Once again, I never said i hate gay/bi/lesbians. I dont. And you're right. An apology cant make it go away. But I cant travel back in time either. So... All I can do is offer my sincerest apology. I won't make the mistake again.

OK. All's fair, I'm pretty sure everyone's done busting your rump about it...but you should know that saying stupid things in a pigheaded manner gets your ass kicked around here (I'd know, trust me. I've said quite a few), and that just has to play itself out. Nobody's gonna hold a grudge.

Don't judge me.
tried out a peavy viper and wanted to throw it after about 5 minutes trying to mess with it...to say that it is better than the line 6 is garbage. I do agree that the spidervalve or flextone or hd 147 are what to look at if you are going to get a line 6 in my opinion.
Quote by rocket7171
tried out a peavy viper and wanted to throw it after about 5 minutes trying to mess with it...to say that it is better than the line 6 is garbage. I do agree that the spidervalve or flextone or hd 147 are what to look at if you are going to get a line 6 in my opinion.

you clearly have no patience. it takes time, grasshoppa.

Don't judge me.
Page 1 of 2