Now, I'm not amazing when it comes to theory but I made this scale one day and it's been bugging me that no one I know (that knows anything about theory) knows what this scale is called. I've also looked on the internet and no luck.

Notes: (G#), A, B, C, D, E, F, G, G#, A

I.e:
|-------------------------------------------(3)-4-5---|
|--------------------------------------5-6-------------|
|------------------------------4-5-7------------------|
|------------------3-5-(6)-7--------------------------|
|----------3-5-7--------------------------------------|
|--4-5-7----------------------------------------------|

The bracketed notes fit the scale but I avoid them when messing around with this.
Last edited by Andie_dog2 at Oct 2, 2008,
It's A Natural Minor with a chormatic G# tone thrown in for funsies.

The bracketed notes are not the same; one is G and the other is G#. Explain this to me, please.
Ahh, I thought there would be some fancy name after simply adding a G#. The more I know.

Also, the bracketed notes are notes I didn't usually use while messing around with the scale. They aren't suppose to be the same notes. :P

I.e. Try playing that scale excluding the bracketed notes - to me it sounds better without them.
Last edited by Andie_dog2 at Oct 2, 2008,
Example lick with this scale:

|--12p8-10p8-----8--| |--10p7-8p7---7--| etc.
|-----------------10----| |---------------9----|
I'm gonna call it C Bebop Major.
We do not know what the tonic note is.
But take out the G# and it could be
C Major
A Melodic Minor
C Ionian
D Dorian
E Phrygian
F Lydian
G Mixolydian
A Aeolian
B Locrian
G Dominant 7th

Then there are scales that aren't popularly used in Western Music.
These would be
C Ethiopian (A raray)
A Ethiopian (Geez and Ezel)
B Half Diminished (Locrian)
E Neapolitan Minor
A Natural (pure) Minor
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
Quote by Andie_dog2
Example lick with this scale:

|--12p8-10p8-----8--| |--10p7-8p7---7--| etc.
|-----------------10----| |---------------9----|

That looks like an A Harmonic Minor lick.
Melodic Minor has a natural 6th as well as 7th.
There would be an F# also.
Melodic has a one natural note, and in A, it is G#
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
Last edited by Dwardom at Oct 3, 2008,
Quote by Dwardom
Harmonic Minor has a sharp 6th as well as 7th.
Melodic minor has a one sharp note, and in A, it is G#

A Harmonic Minor - A, B, C, D, E, F, G#

F#? I'm confused.
Quote by rcw110131
A Harmonic Minor - A, B, C, D, E, F, G#

F#? I'm confused.

My mistake.
I've got melodic and harmonic mixed up
Quote by Dwardom
My mistake.
I've got melodic and harmonic mixed up
And you've got interval notation mixed up. Intervals are always given relative to the major scale. There is no #6 in the melodic minor scale; it is just 6.
Yeah,
Mine is relative to natural minor for those wondering.
Sorry UG.
Quote by Dwardom
Yeah,
Mine is relative to natural minor for those wondering.
Sorry UG.
That is incorrect and misleading notation. Use the standard way of writing scale degrees.

It is not cool, kewl, kvlt, punk, or anything like that to ignore conventions; it just confuses people who you are trying to help; if your (not saying it is) intent is to confuse UG members, kindly piss off.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
That is incorrect and misleading notation. Use the standard way of writing scale degrees.

It is not cool, kewl, kvlt, punk, or anything like that to ignore conventions; it just confuses people who you are trying to help; if your (not saying it is) intent is to confuse UG members, kindly piss off.

I'm sorry you feel that way.
Refresh in a few minutes and all my posts will be edited to show relation to a Major scale.
Quote by Dwardom
I'm sorry you feel that way.
You're sorry that I feel the purpose of MT is to provide accurate information?

Quote by Dwardom

Melodic Minor: 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7
Harmonic Minor: 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7
C Melodic Minor: C D Eb F G A B
C Harmonic Minor: C D Eb F G Ab B

Here it your accurate information on those two scales, UG.

Must I carry MT on my shoulders?

Edit: Fixed.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Oct 3, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Sorry that your intentions were for me to piss off.
I will F5 this topic until I sleep tonight, if you do not mind.
Quote by Dwardom
Sorry that your intentions were for me to piss off.
I will F5 this topic until I sleep tonight, if you do not mind.
Kindly read my post again; you'll see that I don't accuse you of any flagrant spreading of inaccurate information. I corrected a mistake you made so the rest of the UG would not be reading false music theory.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Melodic Minor: 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7
Harmonic Minor: 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7
C Melodic Minor: C D Eb F G A B
C Harmonic Minor: C D Eb E G Ab B

Here it your accurate information on those two scales, UG.

Must I carry MT on my shoulders?

C Harmonic Minor: C D Eb F G Ab B

Be nice btw. That dude said sorry once the mistake was pointed out.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Kindly read my post again; you'll see that I don't accuse you of any flagrant spreading of inaccurate information. I corrected a mistake you made so the rest of the UG would not be reading false music theory.

Thank you for your efforts,
but who's to say that things cannot be described only relative to major?
I know that this is the proper way, although I did not use it in my original post, but who's to say that you cant describe things relative to minor.
Dynamics are not a set volume. Articulations are relative to the piece you are playing.
C and G are not just a fifth interval, but rather C is a fourth from G.
I don't believe there is a definite answer for a lot of theory.
If I were handed a test in a college class, I would use the obvious ways, but who's to say that it is false theory?
Quote by Dwardom
Thank you for your efforts,
but who's to say that things cannot be described only relative to major?
I know that this is the proper way, although I did not use it in my original post, but who's to say that you cant describe things relative to minor.
Dynamics are not a set volume. Articulations are relative to the piece you are playing.
C and G are not just a fifth interval, but rather C is a fourth from G.
I don't believe there is a definite answer for a lot of theory.
If I were handed a test in a college class, I would use the obvious ways, but who's to say that it is false theory?
The set intervals make the scale THAT particular scale. It's just like how the number of protons decide what element something is. You can't change it and if you do, you change the whole thing.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
The set intervals make the scale THAT particular scale. It's just like how the number of protons decide what element something is. You can't change it and if you do, you change the whole thing.

Like I said before.
We don't know the tonic note, therefore we don't have a set of intervals to base an answer on. That is why I provided a list.
Quote by Dwardom
Like I said before.
We don't know the tonic note, therefore we don't have a set of intervals to base an answer on. That is why I provided a list.

I'm not talking about a list

Quote by Dwardom

You had "sharp" instead of "natural". Saying A Melodic Minor has a sharp 6th is just wrong. That's what I was saying about the intervallic formula being messed up.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by Dwardom
Like I said before.
It doesn't matter if you know the tonic; we're giving mere scale degrees. Dorian is 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 compared to natural major scale, not 1 2 3 4 5 #6 7 compared to the natural minor scale.

Once you know the starting note, the tonic, then you apply the scale degrees and get the scale you want. So if you want D Dorian you analyze the notes in the D major scale, apply the above formula to those notes, and end up with D E F G A B C.

Your posts in this thread are riddled with inaccurate and misleading information. I don't mean to attack you personally, but you're spreading false information, and that isn't okay.

To be helpful means to give assistance when you are able, but it also means that you don't screw things up when you don't know what's going on.