When I go off to university next year, I wonder if it's safe to bring along my MIA Strat and Traynor YCV50 Blue. I spent a lot of money on these, and I don't wanna risk them being stolen or something...

So should I bring them? I really don't think bringing the amp is a good idea, so I'll probably get a practice amp. I think I could get away with bringing the guitar.

Any ideas? I'm thinking maybe just like a small Valvetronix or something. I play mostly rock, but I want it to cover everything. Don't really have a set budget, but since it's just a practice amp, don't suggest anything too expensive, please.
Where are you going to university? I'm not sure why you're worried. It'd be behind a locked door, right?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Where are you going to university? I'm not sure why you're worried. It'd be behind a locked door, right?

+1
If you have a locked door like the people above have said, it won't be a problem. Maybe get a valvetronix for the first year and see if people **** around with it. If not, bring the better one next year (or if they don't do shit to it within a couple of months).
I mean, I've got $10,000 worth of stuff in my dorm, and I never even thought twice about it. I always lock.
Oh, and insurance isn't that expensive.

Don't judge me.
-Get renter's insurance. It's dirt cheap.
-Always, always, always lock your door. Drum it into your roommate's head too.
-Get a locking case and a bike lock. Thread the bike lock through the case handle, the amp handle, and lock it to your radiator or bedpost.

It's pointless to have those great instruments if you can't use them, and it's definitely worth a few bucks for a bike lock to keep them safe.

As a side note, if you have a laptop, get a lock for it. You'll want a locking drawer somewhere for camera/ipod/whatever you might have. Electronics are the only thing that's been stolen from anyone I know. It's way easier to swipe a laptop or a camera than a guitar.
maybe keep everything in a closet and get a locking closet, you might have to change doors, or you can do the bike chain thing if it's the folding? (i don't know the name for them) doors and just lock up the little knobs.

I agree with the locking drawer and ipod thing too.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by theoreticmusic

I've applied to a few different ones, mainly the University of Western Ontario in London, Brock University in St. Catherines, Laurier in Kitchener, and McMaster in Brampton.

Well, that was my problem. I love my Strat and amp, and not being able to use them would suck, as would buying completely new gear just for school. I'll just do what you and Roc said. Man, I'll have so many things chained to my bed, haha.

What exactly happens with renter's insurance if my gear gets stolen?
Quote by Roc8995
-Get a locking case and a bike lock. Thread the bike lock through the case handle, the amp handle, and lock it to your radiator or bedpost.

It's pointless to have those great instruments if you can't use them, and it's definitely worth a few bucks for a bike lock to keep them safe.

As a side note, if you have a laptop, get a lock for it. You'll want a locking drawer somewhere for camera/ipod/whatever you might have. Electronics are the only thing that's been stolen from anyone I know. It's way easier to swipe a laptop or a camera than a guitar.

Good advice.

Also, I would recommend spreading rumors about yourself, concerning how men you've killed, and work out some, until you can bench press as much as me.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Good advice.

Also, I would recommend spreading rumors about yourself, concerning how men you've killed, and work out some, until you can bench press as much as me.

I have killed several men - it was glorious!

And I actually do work out frequently... how much can you bench? Obviously a lot more than me... but I'm not a weakling or anything.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Um, I can hit a couple of reps of 315 lbs, so a bit above that would be my max, I would guess.
I usually just rep, though, instead of maxing, doing 3-5 sets of 225-235 lbs.

Holy balls...

Man... I don't even know if I can lift that... I might be able to do 150, hahaha.

Sad face.
O_O, our Varsity basketbal team maxes 265...and I'm a freshman who maxes 95.

Dont squish me

edit: ^Ive been beaten, dont squish us
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Haha. Well, I've been at it a few years, dudes. wrestling team and all that in high school, too. Wrestled at 275 lbs wieght class (while weighing 190) sophomore year, moving down to 171 by senior year. So yea.

But I can understand all the need for security, mang. When I move out, I'm locking everything in a closet and putting bars on my window, since Ill probably be living in a shitty neighborhood, since that's what I'll be able to afford.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Haha. Well, I've been at it a few years, dudes. wrestling team and all that in high school, too. Wrestled at 275 lbs wieght class (while weighing 190) sophomore year, moving down to 171 by senior year. So yea.

But I can understand all the need for security, mang. When I move out, I'm locking everything in a closet and putting bars on my window, since Ill probably be living in a shitty neighborhood, since that's what I'll be able to afford.

If they offer you a deal in Compton, just say no. $100 rent just isn't worth the impeccable reputation of that area.

Yeah, I've only been going to the gym for a year or two... and I'm 6'3 so my weight spreads out very evenly... almost too evenly...

Wow, this got off topic a little...

Meh.
I've got almost all my gear here (Not the same caliber as a MIA Fender, but still my pride, joy and baby)...

It's safe as I know pretty much everyone in my area of the residence (Which is locked to outsiders) and I keep my room locked even when I got to the washroom, just in case.
Quote by roshjosh
I've got almost all my gear here (Not the same caliber as a MIA Fender, but still my pride, joy and baby)...

It's safe as I know pretty much everyone in my area of the residence (Which is locked to outsiders) and I keep my room locked even when I got to the washroom, just in case.

Are you attending UoT?

Because if it's safe there, I think I'll feel a little better. Who knows why. Maybe cause Toronto is becoming more dangerous...
Quote by Roc8995

almost. i wouldn't lock it to anything that gets too hot or cold. that can mess with the neck/string tension/tuning.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I've applied to a few different ones, mainly the University of Western Ontario in London, Brock University in St. Catherines, Laurier in Kitchener, and McMaster in Brampton.

Well, that was my problem. I love my Strat and amp, and not being able to use them would suck, as would buying completely new gear just for school. I'll just do what you and Roc said. Man, I'll have so many things chained to my bed, haha.

Hey man - I lived in Saugeen at UWO last year. Which is apparently the worst, and I had a PRS Standard 24, plus my Peavey JSX half-stack. The biggest problem was the high volume. Like everyone said just keep an eye on the door locks and you'll be cool.

Oh, and it's your laptop that you have to worry about.

dl.

EDIT: oh and UWO kills all the other universities you applied to. Come here.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX

You cant have applied this early. Applications don't start for another month or so.
Quote by kurtlives91
You cant have applied this early. Applications don't start for another month or so.

you can apply earlier if you want, I'm pretty sure. better early then late, i suppose.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by kurtlives91
Not this early. Its around the winter holidays they start I believe.

Anyways I don't think a tube amp and university dorm rooms go together...

Lies/Madness

Don't judge me.
Quote by kurtlives91

Sorry, let me rephrase that. I meant that those are the ones I am applying to, and have already had consultations with some of the representatives of those universities. Now here's to hoping I get accepted...