I'm going to be taking the SAT soon and have been doing fine in the multiple choice parts in my SAT prep class, but the essay always kills me. I haven't gotten better than an 8 which isn't so great.

what do I do pit?
how do I write an SAT?
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
Make an organization before you write and jot down your general idea in a form like this:

-Your thesis
-1st support
-2nd support
-3rd support
-conclusion

Do not use "you" or any other informal terms. Use examples from literature/history/the arts. Personal experience should be a last resort. Do not sound pretentious. They're not looking for big words and they especially can detect when you're trying to sound fancy. Get your ideas across in a direct, simple fashion.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Oct 3, 2008,
Fill up the page, write sentences of varying complexity and length, use an impressive vocabulary without stretching it too much, try to sound as scholarly as possible, use examples from literature and history.

In a nutshell, that's about it.

Edit: and yeah, stick to the five paragraph structure.

Yeah, I tutor the SATs. It actually sucks.
There will probably be a signature here at some point.
Quote by Adam...?
Fill up the page, write sentences of varying complexity and length, use an impressive vocabulary without stretching it too much, try to sound as scholarly as possible, use examples from literature and history.

In a nutshell, that's about it.

Yeah, I tutor the SATs. It actually sucks.

Wow, I feel sorry for the kids who are being tutored by you. Other than using literary/historic references, everything is completely advised against.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by mrbagrat
how do I write an SAT?

Well, first you should start at the upper end of the S. Use a pencil so you can erase if you make a mistake - it's your first time, it doesn't need to be perfect.

Pull your writing utensil up slightly and to the left...

Quote by Flying Couch
Well, first you should start at the upper end of the S. Use a pencil so you can erase if you make a mistake.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Whatever the prompt is, take the easiest response opinion as your own. Allows you to write a hell of a lot quicker than if you try to stop and think of how you feel about the topic.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Wow, I feel sorry for the kids who are being tutored by you. Other than using literary/historic references, everything is completely advised against.

Which is why that's...exactly what I said to do?
Quote by Flying Couch
Well, first you should start at the upper end of the S. Use a pencil so you can erase if you make a mistake - it's your first time, it doesn't need to be perfect.

OMG! Its so clear now!!!!
I think I'm going to get into a good college now.
thank you so much.

If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
Quote by Flying Couch

Are you sure?

I start from down... and it's working.
Quote by Adam...?
Which is why that's...exactly what I said to do?

No. You said use big words and try to sound scholarly with sentences of various complexity. That's wrong. In fact, they have a name for it called the "Plethora" effect and it's strongly discouraged.

The recommended method is to write in a very direct way. Brevity is key here. I got a 12 so I think I got enough merit to support this.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
No. You said use big words and try to sound scholarly with sentences of various complexity. That's wrong. In fact, they have a name for it called the "Plethora" effect and it's strongly discouraged.

Ah. I thought you were saying that I said that one shouldn't use literary/historical examples. But really, I'm going to stand by everything I already said. Yes, brevity is nice, but you also don't want to sound like a second grader who can only write in simple independent clauses. The key is to be able to impress the grader by sounding intelligent without seeming like you're trying to sound intelligent. Obviously, you have to do what you have to do to get the best grade based on your own writing skill level, but a lot of people will recommend these strategies for getting a perfect score.
Quote by Adam...?
Ah. I thought you were saying that I said that one shouldn't use literary/historical examples. But really, I'm going to stand by everything I already said. Yes, brevity is nice, but you also don't want to sound like a second grader who can only write in simple independent clauses. The key is to be able to impress the grader by sounding intelligent without seeming like you're trying to sound intelligent. Obviously, you have to do what you have to do to get the best grade based on your own writing skill level, but a lot of people will recommend these strategies for getting a perfect score.

I've worked with professional tutors, and none of them recommend trying to "sound intelligent." The graders are looking for your ability to put forth your ideas in a clear and effective manner. And chances are that most juniors and seniors will be able to write at a competent level without sounding too simple yet not too complex either. The graders are not looking to be impressed by your vocabulary. That's what the verbal section is for.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I've worked with professional tutors, and none of them recommend trying to "sound intelligent." The graders are looking for your ability to put forth your ideas in a clear and effective manner. And chances are that most juniors and seniors will be able to write at a competent level without sounding too simple yet not too complex either. The graders are not looking to be impressed by your vocabulary. That's what the verbal section is for.

The books and professional tutors I've been working with disagree, but really, I don't care enough to press the point. I'll just leave it at: if you're a reasonably intelligent person who's learned to write in the five paragraphs essays, you'll do just fine on the essay. It's really not the biggest part of the SAT to be worried about.