No, sir, it is not practical
106 55%
It doesn't matter if it's practical or not.. there lies no point
131 69%
Voters: 191.
Page 1 of 2
How come?
Quote by musicianamedave
I tell them that I'm happy with my current church, the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Then I ask them if they would like to be touched by his noodly appendage.

Quote by filthandfury

YES.
Like a russian doll, with balls.

I love The Pit.
Quote by Mr. Thingy
How come?

Either you commit suicide, or you do something with your life.

If you do not choose either or, then you are a waste.
Depends on the Nihilistic refence. Is it Niesche? That is the center point of Nihilism, but there are many views.

I consider myself a Nihilist, but it actually gives me comfort, not depression; I use it in regards to the universe and towards religion. I don't take it in a self-righteous intellectual way either.
We'll Have You Dead Pretty Soon

Quote by dariusfinch
it means that people go to this to thread to masturbate
then leave without so much as a damn thank you!!

It pisses me off!!!

*masturbates*
*leaves*
Last edited by metaldog_USMC at Oct 3, 2008,
I think it's retarded. Not trying to offend anyone, but I don't really care, that's what I think.
^lawlz for irony
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Quote by gun4hire
^lawlz for irony

My mom said that today.

I had my laptop in the car, and I was getting out to go to my piano lesson, and my sister was like "Are you bringing your laptop with you?" and my mom said sarcastically "No, he just brought it for the lulz."
Quote by frottage
My mom said that today

I had my laptop in the car, and I was getting out to go to my piano lesson, and my sister was like "Are you bringing your laptop with you?" and my mom said sarcastically "No, he just brought it for the lulz."

she knows too much about the interwebz...
Quote by Sonicxlover
Quote by Muzikh

+1

People don't really *get* nihilism.
Looking for my India/Django.
I'm not surprised at all that people have a negative outlook on life and people for the most part. Look around or read about the shit that goes on daily in this world.. nihilism is almost like an enlightenment in a way...because if you have no faith in anything then when negative stuff happens to you or around you it isn't a shock, as it's expected.
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
I'm not surprised at all that people have a negative outlook on life and people for the most part. Look around or read about the shit that goes on daily in this world.. nihilism is almost like an enlightenment in a way...because if you have no faith in anything then when negative stuff happens to you or around you it isn't a shock, as it's expected.

Either that, or you grow a pair and aren't shocked and emotionally torn at everything you see.
Quote by metaldog_USMC
Depends on the Nihilistic refence. Is it Niesche? That is the center point of Nihilism, but there are many views.

I consider myself a Nihilist, but it actually gives me comfort, not depression; I use it in regards to the universe and towards religion. I don't take it in a self-righteous intellectual way either.

Nietszche is pretty anti-nihlist ya know...so you're worng.
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
Quote by Echoplex
Yes, this breach of information is disturbing

we must take preventative actions. call sephiroth, we'll need him now...
that aside, all we can do is pray...
Quote by Sonicxlover
Yeah, it's only a matter of time before she finds the Pit.

She spends most of her free time on teh interwebz now, but it's mostly ebay and facebook.
hmm..perhaps we can find a way for the certain party van to just...drop by...
Quote by Sonicxlover
Quote by gun4hire
hmm..perhaps we can find a way for the certain party van to just...drop by...

"nihilist huh, must be exhausting..."

I think nihilism is false since you believe in not believing in anything
Quote by Red33
Nietszche is pretty anti-nihlist ya know...so you're worng.

I never said "Nietszche was a nihilist". I directed my statement in reference towards his "god is dead" theories. So yeah, lets just jump to conclusions without thinking, thats always good.
We'll Have You Dead Pretty Soon

Quote by dariusfinch
it means that people go to this to thread to masturbate
then leave without so much as a damn thank you!!

It pisses me off!!!

*masturbates*
*leaves*
Quote by metaldog_USMC
I never said "Nietszche was a nihilist". I directed my statement in reference towards his "god is dead" theories. So yeah, lets just jump to conclusions without thinking, thats always good.

Calm down.. after all, it's only the internet
Quote by metaldog_USMC

Heh?
And you spelled his name worng.
So you're still wrong. He is by no means the center point of Nihlism.
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
I kiiiind of have some nihilist ideas. I'm definitly not 100% nihilist, but I do share some of it's beliefs. The people from A.N.U.S are probably the most pretentious people on earth, though.
Quote by Psychaberration
Believing in it is a waste of one's life. it does absolutely no good to anyone.

How so? Im an existentialist, not all that dissimilar to nihilism except existentialists still maintain the possibility of a higher purpose, generally. The fact that I've accepted my own ignorance of my greater purpose in life has given me far more clarity in my day to day living and has generally improved my outlook on everything. Honestly, who are you to say what is a worthy way of living and what isn't. Once I stopped trying to understand something I never will truly be able to, I was able to just focus on living a life that I enjoy and that I feel good about at the end of the day, whether there is a god or not. I know you didnt mean to say anything offensive but I have to say I'm a little put off by your narrow view of the matter.

edit - to me, the beauty of nihilism/existentialism and similar philosophies is accepting that one's life probably isnt serving a greater purpose, and instead, simply choosing to give your life its own purpose. And honestly, if there is a god, when I die, I doubt he would be pissed at me for living a life of self-contentment and finding satisfaction in my own virtues and choices.
Quote by Zardokk
Everybody must get stoned! (If they are me.)
Last edited by Spaceman_Spiff at Oct 3, 2008,
I never understood why life can't have meaning. In a sense, I'm nihilist, because I believe that our universe operates as a computer program, similar to cellular automata, so we are really just like machines (I would go further and say that our reality is a computer program itself), but I don't see why someone can't give meaning to their life. What nihilism does is attempt to avoid any irrational behavior. Anybody who is an exestentialist (myself included) is very irrational on their view of their life.

By the way, I consider myself an exestentialist hedonist.
Quote by The Madcap
I never understood why life can't have meaning. In a sense, I'm nihilist, because I believe that our universe operates as a computer program, similar to cellular automata, so we are really just like machines (I would go further and say that our reality is a computer program itself), but I don't see why someone can't give meaning to their life. What nihilism does is attempt to avoid any irrational behavior. Anybody who is an existentialist (myself included) is very irrational on their view of their life.

I can visualize your vision of the universe. Using the analogy of a computer program is excellent. It doesn't change my beliefs in one bit, but it's a new way to look at it.

It must follow in a specific order and command.. occasionally there are unexplainable bugs.. eventually they are explained.
Quote by frottage
My mom said that today.

My mom picked up on "fail" and "win" and uses "epic" where appropraite.
Quote by The Madcap
I never understood why life can't have meaning. In a sense, I'm nihilist, because I believe that our universe operates as a computer program, similar to cellular automata, so we are really just like machines (I would go further and say that our reality is a computer program itself), but I don't see why someone can't give meaning to their life. What nihilism does is attempt to avoid any irrational behavior. Anybody who is an exestentialist (myself included) is very irrational on their view of their life.

By the way, I consider myself an exestentialist hedonist.

So to clarify, you consider your own view to be irrational? Im ok with that, sometimes beliefs are just a way of coping or whatever and dont need any realistic basis. But personally I would say my life overall has no meaning, but to me personally it does. That meaning lies in my own personal choices; basically the only meaning in my life is for me to be content with my own existence, and make choices which facilitate this. This might not be pure existentialism, been a while since I brushed up on it, but its working for me.
Quote by Zardokk
Quote by Muzikh

Then you can accept that you are a waste and start living in the present.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Showbread reference? If so sir, you just made my day.

Me? No, but I can pretend if it keeps your day better
Quote by Zardokk
Quote by GerGuam
Then you can accept that you are a waste and start living in the present.

Says who? I finished my homework as I was also creating this thread
Then I took my supplements of ascorbic acid and echinacea, so that I can get over being sick. Seems pretty useful to me, but that's all relative

We can go on like this forever.. in theory, as limits approach a value, they continue indefinitely, in reality, things come to a close. Mathematics will usually solve all of your internal issues including some socio-cultural and existential ones. But that's what I think.
Quote by Spaceman_Spiff
Me? No, but I can pretend if it keeps your day better

No the TS :P

*edit*
im not being sarcastic i really mean the TS.
Quote by Muzikh
Then I took my supplements of ascorbic acid and echinacea, so that I can get over being sick. Seems pretty useful to me, but that's all relative

We can go on like this forever.. in theory, as limits approach a value, they continue indefinitely, in reality, things come to a close. Mathematics will usually solve all of your internal issues including some socio-cultural and existential ones. But that's what I think.

Genuinely interesting philosophy, I'll definitely keep it in the forefront of my thoughts for a while and see how it works for me.

For the record, my belief on religion is that religion is most likely wrong, but if religious beliefs give you a reason to live your life, and keep you content with your existence, then have at it. As long as you keep those beliefs to yourself and dont try to push them on anyone else. This is mainly why it bothers me so much that religions fight eachother and stir up wars in their own name. The way I see it, its essentially like-minded people killing one another because they disagree on the most trivial of details of their faiths.
Quote by Zardokk
Quote by Muzikh

I'm not going to take the time to figure out what our post was about, but I'll just tell you that the "you" in my post didn't mean you specifically. It meant whoever may be reading it. Sorry for that
Quote by Spaceman_Spiff
Genuinely interesting philosophy, I'll definitely keep it in the forefront of my thoughts for a while and see how it works for me.

For the record, my belief on religion is that religion is most likely wrong, but if religious beliefs give you a reason to live your life, and keep you content with your existence, then have at it. As long as you keep those beliefs to yourself and dont try to push them on anyone else. This is mainly why it bothers me so much that religions fight eachother and stir up wars in their own name. The way I see it, its essentially like-minded people killing one another because they disagree on the most trivial of details of their faiths.

Precisely. I am a Christian by faith, not religion. This does not prevent me from studying the universe or how it functions. It's all complex and wonderful. I have meaning in everything I do, people will fight over trivial matters such as creationism and evolution.. when instead of asking "why", I have already provided myself an answer and I move on to bigger things such as "how" everything functions. Instead of worrying why everything came to be.. notice that it is already here. In the here and now, is what we should be worried about and what we can learn form it and how everything functions. To me, most things just boil down to mathematics.. the more mathematics you understand, the more clearer the universe appears.
Quote by Muzikh
I can visualize your vision of the universe. Using the analogy of a computer program is excellent. It doesn't change my beliefs in one bit, but it's a new way to look at it.

It must follow in a specific order and command.. occasionally there are unexplainable bugs.. eventually they are explained.
I don't know if bugs are the right word. But I use the cellular automata analogy because Stephen Wolfram introduced a set of cellular automata, with 256 variations of rules (the maximum for the particular type of cellular automata.

Most of these rules have these very easy to understand patterns, and many much more simple (just a bunch of black cells, or a checkerboard). Even Wolfram, a Caltech grad at 20, thought they would all be this way, but then rules like rule 30 and 110 came up.

On the left, you have what appears to be rational logical patterns, with logical shapes all over, but on the right, you get purely chaotic and random areas. Wolfram did some extensive mathematical research and concluded that if you take a straight like down from the first cell, it actually is purely random and there is no pattern.

Rule 110 is the same way. Order mixed with random chaos here and there. If you get more into digital physics, you'll see cellular automata examples of how particles might act in space.

So I believe our universe acts as a computer program, like these cellular automata, and from the beggining, the program with its rules explains how our universe grew from a simple state to an increasingly complex state.
Quote by Spaceman_Spiff
So to clarify, you consider your own view to be irrational?
Yes. You see, I believe that we're really just machines. If I were to see a grown man playing with something like a baby rattle for 8 hours straight, I would consider that stupid and irrational. Nothing can come of him playing with the toy for that long, he knows what to expect. With babies it's normal because they aren't rational or smart. But the things we do (Marriage, music, etc.) are really no more rational. We're really just like that grown man sitting in a room playing with a rattle for 8 hours.
Page 1 of 2