Hey folks!

Got some questions...

1. If I'm gonna be the sole guitarist who sings while I'm playing rhythm and then going to play some lead during the non-singing portions, is there any tips/advice I can have to make those transitions smoother and more fluid?

2. Is it true that most singing guitarists sing only when they are playing rhythm and stop singing when they go to lead playing?

Thanks a lot, guys!!!
Quote by dominicsoh
Hey folks!

Got some questions...

1. If I'm gonna be the sole guitarist who sings while I'm playing rhythm and then going to play some lead during the non-singing portions, is there any tips/advice I can have to make those transitions smoother and more fluid?

2. Is it true that most singing guitarists sing only when they are playing rhythm and stop singing when they go to lead playing?

Thanks a lot, guys!!!

You can sing and play lead at the some time.
As long as you aren't doing anything too difficult and thats what the song calls for.
You just have to be able to do both at the same time.
it depends on your skill level, if you're good enough to play lead and sing, why not?
mark knopfler of dire straights does the exact same thing.
cheers
Set up:-
Kustom Sound 40W Guitar Amp
Marshall MG15 CD
Zoom 707 II (surprisingly good..)
VOX Tonelab ST
Jackson DK2M (Seymour duncan TB4 and the SD jazz)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-ShfiU64U0

it IS just a music video, but during the chorus he does play a good lead while singing.

he performs it live quite well also so its not just studio magic.

I remember one guy on here saying a good exercise to use to get better singing and playing at the same time was to have a conversation with someone while playing. see how deep of a conversation you can have without your playing becoming off time or interrupted.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Oct 3, 2008,
Quote by Aditya
mark knopfler of dire straights does the exact same thing.
cheers

+100000000
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
Quote by dominicsoh
Hey folks!

Got some questions...

Thanks a lot, guys!!!

look up fall of troy. oh my god.
Quote by StillSoundRG
I don't like you ACFCPatrick. Your views differ from mine.
Quote by Kivarenn82

I remember one guy on here saying a good exercise to use to get better singing and playing at the same time was to have a conversation with someone while playing. see how deep of a conversation you can have without your playing becoming off time or interrupted.

I can vouch for that, it makes playing licks or even chords spectacularly simple if you talk out of time while strumming or picking in time; afterwards, it becomes hard to get out of time.
Quote by ACFCPatrick
look up fall of troy. oh my god.

oh definitely. try circa survive as well, they're both three pieces with vocalists that play incredibly technical stuff at the same time.
Hey guys....thanks for your awesome replies!!!

And how about the 1st question:

Are there any lessons or practices I can do to make the transitions from singing+rhythm to lead+no singing (and vice versa) more natural?

Thanks once again!
there's nothing so hard in doing those things together...
just practice!!!
Quote by sbikram
there's nothing so hard in doing those things together...
just practice!!!

Yeah, I agree with that.

But are there Youtube examples out there so that I can see how other guitarists do it?

Thankss!!!
Quote by dominicsoh
Yeah, I agree with that.

But are there Youtube examples out there so that I can see how other guitarists do it?

Thankss!!!

i think there are...
but I dont know...
sorry
What about Mustaine!!!!!!!
Look at "A call to arms...never walk alone"
hetfield isnt the lead guitaris of metallica but he plays some leady parts ometimes while hes singing. and dave mustaine=awesome. and mike ness=god.