Page 1 of 2
Sometimes the answer is irrelevant - it's the question that counts. Post 'em if you got 'em.

If a word is misspelled in a dictionary, how would we ever know?

Why do "slow down" and "slow up" mean the same thing?

Why doesn't onomatopoeia sound like what it is?

If humans evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes?

If a lawyer can be disbarred and clergymen defrocked, can electricians be delighted, musicians denoted, cowboys deranged, models deposed, and tree surgeons disembarked?

Why does inflammable mean the same thing as flammable?

Why do you drive on a parkway and park in a driveway?
Quote by wahappen

This is a guitar community not Romper Room.
why does the why that whys which why....

What Goes Up

Must Come Down
Quote by marchoso

We evolved with apes and monkeys, not from them. The rest is good though.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
we didnt evolve from monkeys and apes dude, monkeys, apes and humans all evolved from one common ancestor
D;
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
you are a real guitarist when you are not ashamed about masturbating to musicians friend magazine.
Quote by marchoso
Sometimes the answer is irrelevant - it's the question that counts. Post 'em if you got 'em.

Examples:

If a lawyer can be disbarred and clergymen defrocked, can electricians be delighted, musicians denoted, cowboys deranged, models deposed, and tree surgeons disembarked?

cause your fat
why is the sky blue (i want the scientific answer which i know so if you dont get it right i will curse you with pick gnomes)
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
Why are we here, what's life all about?
Is God really real, or is there some doubt?
Well tonight, we're going to sort it all out
For tonight it's the Meaning of Life.
What's the point of all this hoax?
Is it the chicken and the egg time,
Are we just yolks?
Or perhaps we're just one of God's little jokes.
Well ça c'est the Meaning of Life.
Is life just a game where we make up the rules,
While we're searching for something to say,
Or are we just simply spiralling coils,
Of self-replicating DNA?
In this life, what is our fate?
Is there Heaven and Hell? Do we reincarnate?
Is mankind evolving or is it too late?
Well tonight here's the Meaning of Life.
For millions this life is a sad vale of tears,
Sitting round with nothing to say,
While scientists say we're just spiralling coils,
Of self-replicating DNA.
So just why, why are we here?
And just what, what, what, what do we fear?
Well çe soir, for a change, it will all be made clear,
For this is the Meaning of Life
-c'est la sens de la vie,
This is the Meaning of Life.
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by ughhhhhhhh
we didnt evolve from monkeys and apes dude, monkeys, apes and humans all evolved from one common ancestor

Quote by Mattalac
We evolved with apes and monkeys, not from them.

Quote by wahappen

This is a guitar community not Romper Room.
Quote by FuZzY(aus)
cause your fat
why is the sky blue (i want the scientific answer which i know so if you dont get it right i will curse you with pick gnomes)

isn't it due to the earth's atmospere refracting light in the blue wavelength?
Quote by Rokeman

Due to the Earth's Atmosphere being about 70 odd percent Nitrogen which when light is shone through it, refracts blue the least so that is the dominant colour we see.

I think that's it, or else year 12 physics from 3 years ago has failed me again!
Quote by Rokeman

D'you mean Blue-shift?
blue shift is where the wavelength of a signal shortens, or frequency decreases? (im not sure which) due to the doppler effect. But in astonamical terms it means that the astronomical body, like a star is moving towards you. Red-shift being the reason we know the universe is expanding...

but if the sky was blue because of blue-shift, wouldnt that mean the sky is falling???
To all the villianous insects who preach their slanderous, dupliciticious loathing; to each beautiful walking laceration who made me weep and bleed ... I hope you choke

ROCK ON DUDES
Quote by WyldeRaven
D'you mean Blue-shift?
blue shift is where the wavelength of a signal shortens, or frequency decreases? (im not sure which) due to the doppler effect. But in astonamical terms it means that the astronomical body, like a star is moving towards you. Red-shift being the reason we know the universe is expanding...

but if the sky was blue because of blue-shift, wouldnt that mean the sky is falling???
Blue is one of the higher energy colours- Red is the lowest-energy colour, with the longest wavelength, and therefore the doppler effect makes other colours seem redder if they are emitted form a point moving away from you. (I think)

The sky is blue because air is mostly nitrogen, and in layman's terms, Nitrogen has a slight blue tint (ie it defracts or absorbs other frequencys of light more readily than it does the frequency which humans pick up as blue)
Quote by Telecaster7
why doesn't glue dry in the bottle.

Because there's no air in the bottle so the water in the glue can't evaporate.

So...yeah.
You're*
why are lions considered the 'king of the jungle' when they reside mostly in savannahs?
you cant spell manslaughter without laughter

Quote by ACG
I like my women how I like my cookies. Smothered in diarrhea.
Why is it called eggplant when there is no egg?
Or hamburger with no ham?
Or Pineapple when it doesn't contain neither apple or pine?
X JAPAN
yoshiki.toshi.pata.hide.heath/taiji

---------------

"desert rose, why do you live alone..." - yoshiki
To quote a kid I saw on TV recently ish... "If there was like a big bang, like why would there be a big bang then like monkeys and stuff for no reason?"

Quite.
/headache

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Quote by purplegreendave
Why is dyslexia so goddamn hard to speal?

why can't we all just get along?
You are now blinking manually
Why do we say double-u double-u double-u dot as a "shortened" version of world wide web, when its 7 syllables longer?
Have you ever thought a thought, but the thought you thought you though, wasn't the thought you thought you thought? And why?
Quote by marchoso

Why does inflammable mean the same thing as flammable?

well not EVERY single ape and monkey evolved, it was a certain group of apes and monkeys that started walking on two legs which led to brain development etc etc etc.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by CrimboJones
Why do we say double-u double-u double-u dot as a "shortened" version of world wide web, when its 7 syllables longer?

Good point
If you rape a prostitute, is it actually rape or just theft???

No 'why' but I figure it's a valid point to raise
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
why do dogs lick their off balls ?

because they can

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Last edited by noxiosimitator at Oct 4, 2008,
Quote by Rokeman

mostly correct
the blue light in the light spectrum bends the easiest so it bends quickly
sunsets are red cause the light is travelling through more air (the sun is side on to the earth
from your perspective so it has to travel through more air to get to you) so the red light bends
badly explained but thats it
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
Can midgets draw smaller than normal people?

Oh, and who was the evil bastard who put the letter 's' in the word 'lisp'?

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by HeavyMetaldude

Why is speal so hard to speal?

Forgive me, but my e-sarcasm meter is broken. You know I spelt it wrong on purpose don't you?
A & L are pretty far away on the keyboard
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.
Quote by FuZzY(aus)
cause your fat

Light is white when it enters our atmosphere, but then it scatters because of the atmosphere. Blue light is scattered the most, making the sky appear blue. (I think, not 100% but it's along those lines).
Quote by marchoso

lol, wow are u kidding me? thats like basic science bro go do some research, it goes like this

of course this is only an example, i dont really know how many or what evolved from what we evolved
D;
If humans evolved from monkeys, why do monkeys still exist?

I won't go on to ridicule this question although, in my humble opinion, it either shows a lack of understanding of the whole idea of evolution, or is being asked by someone looking to disprove evolution. And anyway, you can find the answer in a search engine so I shouldn't be answering it at all!

There are two ways of answering this question.
1. Shrug it off by stating Evolution is still a 'work-in-progress' and we don't really know (that answered that one!) or
2. To talk a little about evolution and try to answer by clearing up some common misconceptions.

I think the real question here is 'If something evolves, does the original which it evolves from die out' The answer to this is no.
The main thing here is that evolution does not mean the original dies out. The original only dies out if the conditions change enough for it to be unable to survive. Accompanying questions could be 'why are there no Neanderthal men still in existence but there are monkeys?' No Neanderthal men are in existence because the more evolved less - Neanderthal's killed all the more Neanderthal, less evolved's - hence their livable conditions expired. The rate of evolution dependant on conditions is also important to think about. Evolution is dependent on time as well. Vegetarian Monkeys and Apes didn't need to kill each other or anything else so they stayed placid and un evolved. The specific type of ape we evolved from was carnivorous and needed to evolve quickly to eat and keep up with the rest of its carnivorous friends or enemies!

I guess someone asking this question may be questioning evolution itself. Look around you. Evolution certainly exists - we see it everywhere. We know cells mutate and change - look at cancers. As animals, plants and us humans are all made of cells, we are all capable of mutating and changing our forms from one generation to the next. Over time, conditions and through necessity, our actions and our bodies will evolve to match the world around us. Note for example the increase in incidence's of short sightedness. This is a genetic defect and will gradually, from generation to generation become the predominant factor. As a result of corrective vision instruments, shortsighted people will not die out and will continue reproducing. Until we can alter the gene, more and more people will be born shortsighted.

I have drifted slightly from the question, so I'll summarise. Monkeys still exist because they had no enemies and no need to evolve, they therefore evolved slower than their apelike carnivorous counterparts - which no longer exist.

Another way to look at it is simply that humans followed a different evolutionary path from monkeys. We didn't evolve from monkeys - monkeys and humans evolved from the same ape like animal. We have since taken different paths, and both co-exist. There! 3 answers!!

Perhaps you biologists out there could provide a more detailed explanation than this lowly physicist- although I assume this question could quite easily form the basis of many a biology of studies of evolution thesis! Some other resources for your interest are as follows: Evolution questions from pharyngula Biology Online Why are there still monkeys

http://www.needananswer.co.uk/questions/monkeys.html

A point that the article doesn't stress enough: we are not evolved from monkeys.
Quote by tard on tour
why are lions considered the 'king of the jungle' when they reside mostly in savannahs?

Why was the Queen (Mary or Victoria...cba to remember) of England empress of India when she'd never even been to India?

If humans could fly, how big would our wings be, since our bodies are not hollow?
Why can't we perceive the concept of a new color introduced into our spectrum?
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
If nothing sticks to Teflon, how does Teflon stick to the pan?
Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?
Why do fat chance and slim chance mean the same thing?
Why do they put Braille dots on the keypad of the drive-through ATM?
Why do doctors call what they do practice?
Last edited by CaptainRon at Oct 4, 2008,
Page 1 of 2