Hi all, first time poster here. Right, a wee bit of background first, I'm studying Product Design Engineering at University, and for my final year project I'm thinking of designing and/or building some sort of portable guitar (possibly a bass version too). One that's primarily for practice, but could have some sort of sound quality, but mostly practice. I myself play bass, for about four years now, so I kind of know what I'm looking for, but I need to know what the masses are looking for.

It'll be something that can fit in a rucksack, then be clicked together, or unfolded or something, and then allows you to play away.

I've seen things like compact guitars and the Centrefold, but they're all too big, I'm making something far smaller.

What I need is feedback and plenty of it.

Would anyone be interested in a hyper-portable guitar that can fit in a rucksack?

How many people would think of buying something like this?

What would you look for in such a product?

How much would you expect to pay, (a minimum and maximum would be good here)?

What do you enjoy about guitar? The feel of the strings and playing, or the sound etc?

When you go travelling on holiday, do you take your guitar with you? In a hard/soft case? Is it much trouble?

Think of it, kinda like the Gameboy of guitars. It's not intended to fully recreate the guitar playing experience, but just think, you're ona train or a plane for three hours, you get that itch to riff a little bit, so you reach into your rucksack and pull out this hyper-portable guitar.

Any and all help is really appreciated as it means I can justify making this thing to my lecturers!

Thanks in advance!
Here I go then,

What I need is feedback and plenty of it.

Would anyone be interested in a hyper-portable guitar that can fit in a rucksack?
Yes, very interested so I could take it to school or to a matez in a bag. Even if it is for practice, I could take it to my bass players house and show him a riff.

How many people would think of buying something like this?
I would buy one. (lol)

What would you look for in such a product?
Something light and small enough to carry and have some kinds of pick-ups with a volume knob at least. I would look for electric styled and is easy to rest on your leg and comfy, ergonomic design.

How much would you expect to pay, (a minimum and maximum would be good here)?
Something around $100 to $200 USD ($150 to $250 NZD) Depending on features and components.

What do you enjoy about guitar? The feel of the strings and playing, or the sound etc?
Because you say this is mostly for practice I would say the feel of the strings and the width of the neck. Smooth and thin for me. Or Les Paul style. But if it was electric the sound could also play a major part.

When you go traveling on holiday, do you take your guitar with you? In a hard/soft case? Is it much trouble?
I do take my guitar. It is such a hassle taking a hardcase so it doesn't get mashed in luggage. Heavy aswell.

May I just suggest for your design a very short scale length a have a pick-up of some sorts. Be it 2 or 1, single or humbucker. Be mean as!

And good luck for your studies.
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
Just bumping this thread up as more feedback would be excellent for my project.

@ tomypg, thanks for the replies, very helpful indeed.
Any more questions bro? Happy to answer. I allways hated this part at school, I just wanted to make the darn thing.
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
I had a similar idea. It would have a switch which goes from your regular guitar mode, You know plug into an amp, and the second mode which turns on a mini amp that uses headphones.

Half sized body, maybe smaller.

Single passive pickup.

Built in mini amp. The speaker would be useless, so you would rip that out and only use headphones. The mini amp would run of a 9 volt battery.

Obviously you couldn't have a full scale neck so you would have 12 frets.

I was thinking of adding an octave circuit in there so you can go up an octave for playing solos and stuff.

That was as far as i got. It was going to be to expensive.
I've been thinking about the many problems of my product. One path I've started to go down is to use alot of electronics and pre-recorded sounds. There would be sections of string to recreate the feel of gutiar strings, but they'd operate more lik buttons, with each fret having it's own tone.
So, as a practice instrument, how would this be viewed? As a farce as it's getting more and more away from a regular guitar playing experience, and that's something I want to maintain, the experience.

As always plenty of feedback please.