Well, a few weeks ago I was playing 'Portrait of Tracy' and I was thinking about changing tuning to get different harmonics. About half an hour I spent fiddling with my tuning, until I decided on a cello tuning (one octave below).

I thought the tuning in fifths sounded pretty cool (I made a song exclusively of harmonics, will post it in a few days), so I was just wondering, what do you guys do with your tunings? Do you keep it pretty basic or do you purposely put it out a semitone or two to try and push yourselves? Do you know of any other bassists who use obscure tunings to change their sound?
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
the jonas brothers are sooo
█▄█ █▀█ ▀█▀
█▀█ █▄█ ♥█
☆┌─┐ ─┐☆
 │▒│ /▒/
 │▒│/▒/
 │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
 │▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘
 └┐▒▒▒▒┌┘ PEACE! LOVE! JONAS!
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Bass player from meshuggah raises a semi-tone beacause the guitars are down a 7th. Sounds so mean with distortion.
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
Placebo bassist also raises his tuning, I think a whole step. Just be careful tuning from low to high so often, you'll break your strings,
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
tune everything to E
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I got bored and tried playing GDAE once... not suggested. but certainly was an eventful 2 hours.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I'm gonna get a six string bass with incredibly light string guages and tune it to E A D G B E like a guitar, but it's a bass, lol. It'll basically be a 4 string with two higher strings, and that way I won't have to memorize seperate scales for guitar and bass.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I'm gonna get a six string bass with incredibly light string guages and tune it to E A D G B E like a guitar, but it's a bass, lol. It'll basically be a 4 string with two higher strings, and that way I won't have to memorize seperate scales for guitar and bass.

It isn't hard to extend a scale below the root. It'll be much more beneficial to your playing if you do, as you can transfer that across the fretboard. The guitar having that gimpy B and E instead of C and F confuses things up more than a low B ever will.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It isn't hard to extend a scale below the root. It'll be much more beneficial to your playing if you do, as you can transfer that across the fretboard. The guitar having that gimpy B and E instead of C and F confuses things up more than a low B ever will.

Two things.

I think hes just doing it cause he already knows guitar scales.

The other is that guitar is set up like it is so you can play a scale in a closed position 2 octaves with no shift.
Quote by rollininrhythm
Two things.

I think hes just doing it cause he already knows guitar scales.

The other is that guitar is set up like it is so you can play a scale in a closed position 2 octaves with no shift.

I know exactly why a guitar is set up like that, thanks. And learning to extend below a scale can be useful everywhere on the fretboard, so it's worth learning. If you can play across two scales, you can go below the root anywhere.
Quote by Cody_Grey102

So like a Fender Bass VI?

I want something like that, though a 7 string (BEADGBE one octave below a standard guitar)

As for tuning, I like to tune to a different standard (instead of A-440, I prefer A-432)
when I tune just by ear, I end up going closer to the second pitch
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....