Just started giving DADGAD tuning a try on an acoustic... i know it has its own chords etc. but I messed around playing the A minor Pentatonic scale that I've used with standard tuning and it sounded OK for the most part, obviously some of the notes are down a step. I'm not sure how this fits in with theory but do standard scales (for want of a better term) work with DADGAD?

Also, I played standard shaped G, D, C chords and again they sounded OK if I strummed only the first four strings... again, not sure about the theory here or what the resulting chords are... perhaps someone could advise?

Thanks for any advice.
http://chordlist.brian-amberg.de/en/guitar/dadgad/

tadaaa! you're welcome. and thanks for making me look for it, now i'm gonna try it too.
what are you playing? anything specific or just messing around?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Quote by geetarmanic
I messed around playing the A minor Pentatonic scale that I've used with standard tuning and it sounded OK for the most part

You weren't playing the A minor pentatonic scale- you were playing the scale shape, as it happens in standard tuning. This is an important distinction- a scale is a series of pitches in specific ascending and descending order. A scale shape is just a handy reference for playing those pitches, in a specific tuning. I would suggest figuring out the scale shapes as they are in DADGAD as well as standard, if you are going to be playing in it often.
Quote by geetarmanic
Just started giving DADGAD tuning a try on an acoustic... i know it has its own chords etc. but I messed around playing the A minor Pentatonic scale that I've used with standard tuning and it sounded OK for the most part, obviously some of the notes are down a step. I'm not sure how this fits in with theory but do standard scales (for want of a better term) work with DADGAD?

Also, I played standard shaped G, D, C chords and again they sounded OK if I strummed only the first four strings... again, not sure about the theory here or what the resulting chords are... perhaps someone could advise?

Thanks for any advice.

It doesn't have "it's own chords", it has exactly the same chords - however because some of the notes are in different places the shapes of those chords will be altered. Likewise if you use the "normal" chord shapes you'd use in standard tuning then they'll give you different chords.

The same applies for scales, they're still exactly the same scales but some of the notes will have moved.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 3, 2008,