As the title suggests, I've recently started practising fast scale runs and I've noticed that when I tense my picking hand and play I get tired and sloppy pretty quickly.

I've tried to keep it relaxed but nothing seems to work, any advice on how to force my picking hand to relax?

slow down. play 100% accurate and without tension. focus on keeping your arm relaxed. bring it up slowly. if you feel any tension what so ever creeping in, slow back down or concentrate on making it dissipate.

check out some of the other threads on this forum right now (especially the ones about practice and how slow you should practice). read freepower's lessons. apply to your own learning.

and don't be worried about slowing down. you'll be learning how to sustain speed and you will be improving at every moment (because you want have to tense up to play quick runs and you wont get tired and sloppy anymore)
Quote by sisuphi
slow down. play 100% accurate and without tension. focus on keeping your arm relaxed. bring it up slowly. if you feel any tension what so ever creeping in, slow back down or concentrate on making it dissipate.

check out some of the other threads on this forum right now (especially the ones about practice and how slow you should practice). read freepower's lessons. apply to your own learning.

and don't be worried about slowing down. you'll be learning how to sustain speed and you will be improving at every moment (because you want have to tense up to play quick runs and you wont get tired and sloppy anymore)

do that ^
Quote by Jackolas
You are my favorite August 08er, sir!

One day, when the time has come,
The truth will shine, we'll never run.
We both know just how feel,
I'm praying to god that this is real.