How is it possible?

How is it humanly possible for this man to remember and play those basslines and sing at the same time? I've been listening to alot of Rush as of late and looked at some of the tabs for his bass work. Um..wow. The notes seem to be alll over the place like a lead guitarist rather then a normal bassist who plays roots added with fills ect. I can't really find any common patterns to stick too when trying to play them. Is there method to approach his music better? And yeah, I know your gonna say practice, and I practice really hard, but this is just ridcolus.
He's been doing most of them for years and years and years. I'm sure though, that he has to practise and brush up on them all the same when they take a break from touring. To learn his stuff, there is a common pattern, but he never plays it the same twice in a song usually. A lot of the stuff is very fill based with a stock riff or whatever. I know you don't want to hear it, but practise and memorization is the only thing. Don't just learn it and play it, play it with the goal of memorization in mind. It will eventually start falling into place.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Oct 3, 2008,
remember he's been playing some of those songs for over 30 years

and for the most part the hard basslines come when he's not singing. i can sing and play tom sawyer at the same time, it just takes practice
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
He's inhuman

Nah, he has a mind that can concentrate on two tasks at once, with great independence of limbs vs mind. I kind of have that, but not nearly as polished as Geddy haha
1st ever MOD challenge winner
Rush Club Member #5
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
Member #21 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join
From interviews I have watched with him on youtube. He says that he just learns the bassline so well that he doesnt need to think about playing them, his hands just play it. This means he can use his brain to concentrate on the vocals.

While he is singing and playing bass, the vocals are what he concentrates on. When he is just playing bass he concentrates on that.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
his bass lines while playing are not all the difficult not say they are really easy but he tones down his playing while sing. take tom sawyer for example the olny really hard part in the song on bass is what he plays during the solo oh boy and hes not singing there. but yes he is a good bassist that sings but there are quite a bit of them who do it its not like hes the only one.
Quote by fudger
his bass lines while playing are not all the difficult not say they are really easy but he tones down his playing while sing. take tom sawyer for example the olny really hard part in the song on bass is what he plays during the solo oh boy and hes not singing there. but yes he is a good bassist that sings but there are quite a bit of them who do it its not like hes the only one.

I beg to differ.
He's playing some pretty interesting lines in songs like The Big Money and By-tor while singing...
1st ever MOD challenge winner
Rush Club Member #5
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
Member #21 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join
oh yes his play is still good while sing but in most case his playing is not quite as good as it is during the instrument sections.
Quote by Randy Bobandy
How is it possible?

How is it humanly possible for this man to remember and play those basslines and sing at the same time? I've been listening to alot of Rush as of late and looked at some of the tabs for his bass work. Um..wow. The notes seem to be alll over the place like a lead guitarist rather then a normal bassist who plays roots added with fills ect. I can't really find any common patterns to stick too when trying to play them. Is there method to approach his music better? And yeah, I know your gonna say practice, and I practice really hard, but this is just ridcolus.

Am I the only one who caught that?

Anyway about singing and playing, its not that difficult. Most of his crazy stuff is while he isn't singing anyway.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by slaptasticdave
Am I the only one who caught that?

Anyway about singing and playing, its not that difficult. Most of his crazy stuff is while he isn't singing anyway.

yes this is true, however when i saw them live he as also playing these pedals on the floors that played synth chords, playing bass, and singing at the same time. so even if the bass and synth is simple its still quite a few rhythms. but hands down he has to be one of my fave bass players of all time.
Geddys not human. its the only explination!
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Amazing bassist; an innovator and unique player that influenced most of the progressive bassists of today. I find it amazing how he can do stuff like play keyboards, sing, and play hard basslines at the same time... Not to mention he has the most one of the most amazing bass tones i've ever heard. I heard some some on the radio by Rush called Subdivsions and was just like "DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN" even though it was mostly all synths the few bass fills he plays in the song were ridiculous sounding. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=5IhELGjybR8 1:49 too eargasmic
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by Randy Bobandy
How is it possible?

" I'M MOWING THE AIR RANDY! "

Awesome show!

Regarding Geddy, He is an incredibly talented man!
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by IndianRockStar
It is also fair to note that even though a lot of his basslines are crazy, he goes crazy when he isn't singing. See: Freewill, YYZ, La Villa Strangiato.

yeah and also Leave That Thing Alone, Prime Mover, Lock And Key, Natural Science
you have to be able to trust your hand to play the right notes. go through the motion and learn to not listen to the bass, just to your voice. it takes some getting used to, but once you stop listening to the the notes coming out of your bass, it gets easier. you'll notice (when live) he only plays the original line while singing but when he stops singing, he'll start changing it up a little bit and going crazy