I've always liked the style of strats so I was thinking of getting one.

I've found the one I wanted on ebay, I check every now and then as this particular strat has stopped being produced in the colour I wanted, and was never really available in England (well it was but it was about £1000-£1100, whilst in America it was $1400 = £700)

So I found the guitar on ebay, new and mint condition, auction ends in a few days and it's a good price, arond £700 at the moment but it's sure to go up as it's an auction.

Anyway I was wondering if strats are a safe bet to buy without trying. I've never properly tested a strat before, and normally I would just think if I havn't tried it there's no point buying it, but strats are fairly common and well praised so I doubt I'd find anything wrong with it. I suppose if I hated it I could always resell it.

So should I attempt to buy it or not?

PS Not going to post the link for obvious reasons.
Last edited by Gaz_m2k5 at Oct 3, 2008,
This wont be much help to you.. but i bought a strat off ebay, and i love it dearly.
Guitars: Les paul standard faded(wcr crossroad pickups), SG special(wcr crossroads) Roadhouse strat, G&L ASAT, Mahogany Strat (P90 and SD JB)

Amps: Vox AC-15 w/celestion blue, Vox AC-4tv, Orange tiny terror head, Ampeg Reverberrocket.
Well, you should go at a guitar store and try some strats before buying it
Strats are argubly the easiest guitars to play, as they're very comfortable. I don't entirely agree, I think Les Pauls are easy to play for some reason, but Strats are ace to too.

But maybe play one before, just to try one out.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
If I was you I'd make very sure thats its a real strat, coz ebay is notorious for fake guitars. Personally, I wouldnt buy a guitar without trying it first but I know lots of people who did and they seem happy.
Well it definitely looks real and the serial numbers in the photo.
There's a little code on the fender website and it matched up with the guitar so I'm confident it's not a fake.
there's no way to know for sure until it arrives, unfortunately. i've bought a couple of guitars on ebay and have been lucky, but there's inherent risk with any ebay purchase, even if it's just that their idea of "mint" is different from yours... (and that's almost a best-case-scenario)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ +1

Of the two guitars I've gotten off of eBay one was a 20+ year old guitar from a private seller that arrived setup perfectly and the other was a brand new guitar from a store that showed up with the worst setup I've ever seen on a guitar. However even in the case of the poorly setup guitar it was something I could fix myself.

The best you can do is go with someone who has a lot of positive feedback. The quality of the pictures is also an idication of how well the guitar has been treated and in what condition it will to you in. If there's a whole gallery of close up shots, you're probably going to be fine.
^ yeah, pretty much. i'd be wary of chancing any online purchase if you can't do at least rudimentary setup work yourself (or if not you need to budget for a pro setup)...

also, "very little fretwear" tends to mean "needs immediate refret"...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?