So I am getting a new guitar and I need to know which one I should get.

I have two friends that keep thinking they are all high and mighty in the guitar world (they are really good and know alot about guitars) and they keep fighting over which guitar I should get. One screaming STRAT, the other TELECASTER. And the moron in our group saying you should get a SG. I really need a new guitar because I have been playing my Squire almost two years and wow after playing some quality guitars I am determined to get a new guitar.

I explained it many times: I am looking for a guitar that can produce some pretty sweet clean sounds and has a very blues and rock tone (and blues-rock) I like alot of musicians like John Mayer, Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Rory Gallagher, Keith Richards.
I am a fender guy and would like to stay there, so no Les Pauls they are nice though, just too flashy for me.

So the internal debate goes on

Strat or Telecaster...

tl;dr just read bold
^This post was probably sarcastic

GO LEAFS GO

Chief Executive Officer of Music Games of THE ULTIMATE-GUITAR GAMING FORCE
hmm . . . most of those guys are strat dudes, but i think the question comes down to whether or not you use the trem. if you do - strat. if you dont, tele

that said, the tele also has no contour for the stomach so isn't quite as comfy to sit with. as well as that the strat has more variables for your sound, but ive not really ever known anyone to use the different features enough to make it a good argument for getting one over anything else.
what you need is an HSS strat
I sat next to a nun on the bus once, she said hi

Twitter: @Pikey_P - wise words right there.
i wouldn't get either, how are you going to solo with 21 frets? or is it 20 on a fender? strats have a floyd rose teles don't thats the only difference that i know of.
Quote by jefffelker40
i wouldn't get either, how are you going to solo with 21 frets? or is it 20 on a fender? strats have a floyd rose teles don't thats the only difference that i know of.

Strats have 21 frets, and its not a floyd rose its a strat trem bridge
I sat next to a nun on the bus once, she said hi

Twitter: @Pikey_P - wise words right there.
Quote by vegetable-jim
what you need is an HSS strat

Absolutely true.

Or even a SSS strat but you need an OK amp . Btw, what's your amp ?
with those influences, I'd go with the strat. Just wondering were you thinking MIM, or MIA?
Id go strat, seems the artists you have been inspired by play them, so time to carry on the tradition!
..but some of these posts show the arrogance of some metalheads.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Woozye
Absolutely true.

Or even a SSS strat but you need an OK amp . Btw, what's your amp ?

Crate V33 212

GO LEAFS GO

For SRV, you're going to NEED a strat with a single coil in the neck - the tele lipstick won't do it too well... and a tele with a single in the neck looks vile :P

Rory used both the strat and tele, but his main sound is definately the strat, which is probably the best for you.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Quote by jefffelker40

I can solo fine with 21 frets, Clapton solo's fine with 21 frets, Hendrix solo'd fine with 21 frets........the list goes on, but you get the idea lol
Gear

Guitars - Fender Deluxe Player Strat, Squier Affinity Strat, Ibanez TCM - 50

Amps - Fender Blues Deluxe

Effects - Boss ME-50

Other - Banjo

Jazz Is not music, Its a way of life
I'd get a SSS Strat, a HSS Strat wouldn't have the bridge tone that all of his influences have.

So yeah. What's your budget? I'd get something like an American Vintage Strat, cause of obvious reasons. If you don't have the money, maybe a Classic Series or Classic Player series, to give you a vintage vibe.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
I'd get a SSS Strat, a HSS Strat wouldn't have the bridge tone that all of his influences have.

So yeah. What's your budget? I'd get something like an American Vintage Strat, cause of obvious reasons. If you don't have the money, maybe a Classic Series or Classic Player series, to give you a vintage vibe.

400 to about 550...

I checked muscians friend the other day and the tele is like 369 or something around there. My parents would cover shipping or whatever needs to be done.

GO LEAFS GO

I'm a Die-hard Tele fan, but judging by your influences, I'd say our UG counter-parts are right on the money, go with the Strat. That is where your going to find the sound that your looking for :-) ... cheers !
the MIM strat with maple fretboard is just soooo smooth
a joy to play

and looking at your influences, you'd likely want to go strat imo
Quote by James_Water2
400 to about 550...

I checked muscians friend the other day and the tele is like 369 or something around there. My parents would cover shipping or whatever needs to be done.

Fair enough. I'd still get a Strat though, they're around the same price. And you can always swap out the pickups to something more vintage voiced, maybe some Fender '57/'62 ones, with the extra money.

EDIT: The dude below me, it would be Canadian dollars. I dunno if they're that much different to American ones though...
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Oct 3, 2008,
Quote by James_Water2
400 to about 550...

400 - 550 of which currency?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by mck_776
For SRV, you're going to NEED a strat with a single coil in the neck - the tele lipstick won't do it too well... and a tele with a single in the neck looks vile :P

Rory used both the strat and tele, but his main sound is definately the strat, which is probably the best for you.

Teles don't have lipstick pickups in the neck. They're normal singles with a metal cover.

Anyway, for your music, I'd say the strat. I'm tempted to say the tele cause teles were my first love of the guitar world, but yeah.
I'd say tele , idk I've always been more of a tele guy.You get typical Fender sound from both but I think the neck pu in tele has a slithly warmer and more acoustic sound than the strats and I also like the bridge pu a lot better,coz IMO i think strats bridge pu's kinda suck nowadays.
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
id say strat, becuase it suits more of the guy u mentioned and it is typically more versatile than a tele IMO
just get the strat, it covers more bases, and if u want to expand ure guitar colleciton, wel get a telecaster