Just spent most of my money on a 280 dollar Behringer bass amplifier.
It looked like a good deal but I have no experience with Behringers.
So was this a good deal, or do Behringers suck?
I'd advice you to stay away from Behringer amps, the only good amps they make is the Bugera line (and that's for guitar). Go check the bass forums, I think they can recommend bass amps better than we can.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
behringer amps are good enough but there are tons of other amps that have better sound and build quality in their price range.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Public opinion is that they suck. Mostly reliability problems.

I have one that I bought without checking before buying. Too early to tell and my ears could be a bit rusty from 8yrs of not playing, but anyways...

I have a GMX110. 30W, two channels, one clean and one for modeling 3 type of amps, 3 type of gain and 3 types of speaker simulations. Amps mods are tweed, brit and california. Gains are clean, lo-gain and hi-gain and speakers are US, brit or no simulation. I may be misnaming the options as I'm not anywhere close the amp and I've had it for little time.

Clean has only volume control. The modeling channel has all the options mentioned above and controls for bass, mid and high freq's and gain. There's a master volume too.

There are options you don't find unless you go to more expensive amps like the options to use a serial or parallel FX loop and there are 99 customizable effects but I find them to be only adjustable in a very narrow range. Effects are delays, reverbs, compression, rotary speaker, phaser, etc. and combinations of them. All of them with very narrow adjustment but they sound just fine. You can modify them via MIDI and the thing has a MIDI port built in.

It comes with a (rather fragile) foot controller with two pedals. One to change channels and one to turn on-off the effect. IF you go to the clean channel and assign an effect to it, it gets stored and you can do the same with the simulation channel. So, when you switch channels, you get the effect it was stored for each one.

With the pedal, you can change channels and on top of that, you can switch the effect on and off.... so that's four sounds out of this amp at your disposal.

OK, all of it is bells and whistles... Now to the important point... sound.

The Clean channel is nice. Solid State nice. It won't sound tube by any stretch but it's transparent and just nice to the ear. With some delay and or reverb the clean sounds great.

The Modeling channel is where I still have to experiment. I only liked the California-High Gain-US Speaker combination... But then, I'm spoiled by using in the past a Mesa V-Twin as preamp. The Brit simulation is nice too, but I prefer the california by far. The tweed or whatever Fender simulation is sounded too dull... like if you had thrown a blanket, a thick one to the amp's speaker.

It has a pleasant sound, but nothing to write home about. Nice practice and home amp. Enough volume. Good value for the money. I've read reviews that this amp is the very same as a Tech 21... different name tag on it and of course, cheapo construction but same sound. I can't attest that... I haven't heard said Tech 21.

Now, Behringer/Bugera has a terrible reliability record. While a few people have had good luck, most others have not. As for mine it's too early to tell, but I just want it to make it for a year or so and then get a tube amp.

They come with a 2yr warranty, so if it craps out on you, you're covered. But I hope you don't need it.

My guitar is an Ibanex GRX20 plugged straight into the amp.... for now. I play mostly rock and metal, but sometime I play some classical-technique stuff (bare right hand, no pick). I'm not classical proficient, though. So I need also good clean sounds with nice string to string balance and voicing. The Behri does just fine. It needs more warmth and depth. It sounds much better with just the right amount of delay and reverb but again, it's thousand miles from the clean tube sound that comes out of the Mesa Boogie V-Twin.
He was talking about a bass amp, and while talking about a guitar amp is not too far off, it's not quite the same.

Oh, and
Quote by Warpo

Now, Bugera has a rather decent reliability record. While a few people have had bad luck, most others have not.

Fixed
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
It'll sound good for about 4 months, kinda, and then it'll lose volume and tone.

Return it. Save for an ampeg or even a hartke
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by zeppelin42
Just wasted most of my money on a 280 dollar Behringer bass amplifier.
So I just got screwed like a prostitute behind Bill Clinton's White House?

*fixed

Behringer Amps are horribly constructed. Thats where the bulk of my problem with them is.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
*fixed

Behringer Amps are horribly constructed. Thats where the bulk of my problem with them is.

The quote "fixing" was terribly immature and unneeded. But then again, this is UG. Get some class.

but anyways, check the bass forum for sure, they'll flame you, get your money back as soon as possible. I've seen a behringer break down right in front of my eyes over time. I never had one...thank god...but almost did. This one kid was running a crappy starter ibanez, through a crappy wireless, to a crappy 300watt behringer 115 combo or somthing, it was the most terrible sounding thing you'll ever hear. it sounded like...i can't even explain it. just bad. no bottom end. no highs. it was pure crap mids.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by zeppelin42
Just spent most of my money on a 280 dollar Behringer bass amplifier.
So was this a good deal, or do Behringers suck?

Behringer gear works...sometimes.

Google them on any board and you will see them bashed most of the time.

I have had two Behringer pieces over the years and still own one. The first was a small 802 mixer which sounded like crap and was too noisy...I sold that on ebay.
The second was the KX1200 which I reviewed here at UG in the R&R section...Outstanding amp and well worth the price I got it for.

Behringer has two main problems in my mind:
1) They use cheap parts which don't always work well.
2) They don't have any consistency in their products. Someone could get a product from them and it will work for 10 years, then another person could get that same product the same day and have it work for just a few hours.

Their stuff may not be the best but it does work on a budget. Personally, I stay away from them most of the time unless I have heard they made a great product that works well consistently...such as the KX1200.
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 3, 2008,
Quote by Fama
He was talking about a bass amp, and while talking about a guitar amp is not too far off, it's not quite the same.

My bad. I have to relearn to read....

Quote by Fama
Oh, and

Fixed

My bad too. Yes, now I remember a thread that was bashing Bugera and it turned out to be misuse.

I just pray for my amp not to die.
Quote by l3p4rd
The quote "fixing" was terribly immature and unneeded. But then again, this is UG. Get some class.

I always appreciate minors telling me about maturity and class. It's delicious. Nevertheless, I'm right. Behringer Amps suck, and purchasing one generally means that you got screwed ( I am loath to jump out a string and call TS an idiot).

Have a nice day.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Behringer Amps suck, and purchasing one generally means that you got screwed.

Have a nice day.

Well, they do. I ain't gonna argue that.

Also, not to pick up a fight... I've noticed that many people with cheap gear (me included) instead of having a question answered just get the "buy a better one" which by all means is totally right and I personally appreciate.

However, sometimes we're stuck with said bad gear and in the first place we already have it. Selling said gear just means we're passing the problem onto someone else, which is not that ethical in the first place (you won't advertise it as "amp for sale, it's a behringer and you know it sucks but I'm letting it go for cheap your loss is my gain").

So, why not at the same time we get a sensible response we're also provided with an answer to our question? Sometimes is easier to spend 100 bucks in a component that you can use down the line with better equipment.

Case in point... a pedal. Maybe your amp sucks, but getting a good pedal will not only help some but it can be a nice choice to use with better equipment down the line.

I'd be cool if the person replying would give not only the sensible reply but also some other suggestion more in line with the question asked.

Like "don't get said pedal because it will not match to your SS amp because X or Y, but if you want to go that route try Z pedal which is more in line to what you look for but still a waste of money".

Again, not stirring the pot or picking up a fight... But just seeing things from the other side.
Quote by Warpo
Well, they do. I ain't gonna argue that.

Also, not to pick up a fight... I've noticed that many people with cheap gear (me included) instead of having a question answered just get the "buy a better one" which by all means is totally right and I personally appreciate.

However, sometimes we're stuck with said bad gear and in the first place we already have it. Selling said gear just means we're passing the problem onto someone else, which is not that ethical in the first place (you won't advertise it as "amp for sale, it's a behringer and you know it sucks but I'm letting it go for cheap your loss is my
gain").

So, why not at the same time we get a sensible response we're also provided with an answer to our question? Sometimes is easier to spend 100 bucks in a component that you can use down the line with better equipment.

Case in point... a pedal. Maybe your amp sucks, but getting a good pedal will not only help some but it can be a nice choice to use with better equipment down the line.

I'd be cool if the person replying would give not only the sensible reply but also some other suggestion more in line with the question asked.

Like "don't get said pedal because it will not match to your SS amp because X or Y, but if you want to go that route try Z pedal which is more in line to what you look for but still a waste of money".

Again, not stirring the pot or picking up a fight... But just seeing things from the other side.

People say oh, get a new amp, because fundamentally, when you're getting a pedal and running it through a crap amp, you're still going to have crap. It's hard when there's no money because making music is an expensive hobby. There's alternatives for his price range (such as a hartke I mentioned in earlier posts) but a behringer is more a question of quality, they can sound okay...but they'll break down in a year and it's not worth repairing

Quote by theoreticmusic
I always appreciate minors telling me about maturity and class. It's delicious. Nevertheless, I'm right. Behringer Amps suck, and purchasing one generally means that you got screwed ( I am loath to jump out a string and call TS an idiot).

Have a nice day.

You're a very arrogant man. It doesn't matter that I'm a "minor" apparently you don't know when to say when by arguing with me and dwelling in the past, what Clinton did was wrong, but there was no use in that "joke" but whatever, you and this argument aren't worth my time.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
People say oh, get a new amp, because fundamentally, when you're getting a pedal and running it through a crap amp, you're still going to have crap. It's hard when there's no money because making music is an expensive hobby. There's alternatives for his price range (such as a hartke I mentioned in earlier posts) but a behringer is more a question of quality, they can sound okay...but they'll break down in a year and it's not worth repairing

Agreed but then the TS should post simething like "it's only for home practice or playing just for my pleasure". Then you understand this is someone who doesn't pursues the ultimate tone or making a career out of it.

For that you don't need the best equipment on Earth and maybe just let instruments/amps die or slightly upgrade little by little instead of buying a much more expensive equipment up front.

My other passion is Mountain Biking and I'm more serious at that than the guitar. And I have a very decent MTB and I don't go like "dump that bike, man... it's crap". And bikes are not that far off guitars in price. I do feel in the obligation to say "you're putting too much money that can be used for a better bike" but I also try to give options that may fit the user like making upgrades that would make sense or can be used even with a better bike.

Oh... not to mention... people outside our hobbies usually can't tell the difference between good and bad equipment and anything not bought at Walmart is "too expensive".
People that don't play guitar know what sounds BAD if they're not playing through it typically. I take my mom to get equipment with me (lol I know.) but she actually is able to help because she knows that a MG sounds bad and a Hot rod is nice and warm. Maybe it's just her, but this has happened more than once to different people I've taken to music stores with me.

But even for practice it's okay to have an eh tone.

Anyways, main point.. TS, what are you using this for?
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
Maybe it's just her...

Most probably. Pop singers are the proof.

Quote by l3p4rd
But even for practice it's okay to have an eh tone.

True. But you don't have to be Steve Vai, if you catch my drift.
Quote by l3p4rd

You're a very arrogant man. It doesn't matter that I'm a "minor" apparently you don't know when to say when by arguing with me and dwelling in the past, what Clinton did was wrong, but there was no use in that "joke" but whatever, you and this argument aren't worth my time.

I am arrogant. So? Live dangerously, it makes life more fun. Clinton was never proven guilty of any crime. Oh, and, there's no use in any joke. Ever. Really. Think about that. You're just ruffled because it offended you or struck you the wrong way. It really doesn't matter. AT ALL.

Quote by Warpo

Oh... not to mention... people outside our hobbies usually can't tell the difference between good and bad equipment and anything not bought at Walmart is "too expensive".

You hit that dead on, man. The reality is, most people don't care about their tone or think about it in the way that UGers do. That's why it's OK for you to sell that amp. Somebody will buy it because they want it. if they decide they don't, then they turn around and sell it. It's not unethical, it's capitalism/caring about something enough to truly know what you're doing.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Oct 3, 2008,
Quote by theoreticmusic
You hit that dead on, man. The reality is, most people don't care about their tone or think about it in the way that UGers do. That's why it's OK for you to sell that amp. Somebody will buy it because they want it. if they decide they don't, then they turn around and sell it. It's not unethical, it's capitalism/caring about something enough to truly know what you're doing.

True dat. Behri for sale!!

I'm serious... I'll get something better as soon as I can.

And given my GAS, that was about to happen anyways. I want so many things already!