Hey everybody.
Im looking for a decent first distortion pedal.
Price range is about 70 - 150 AUSTRALIAN dollars.
I like to play mainly heavy metal and some of my fav bands are - Nile , Metallica , Slipknot , Rammstein
Im interested in the BOSS DS-1 and Digitech Death Metal Pedal.
The BOSS DS-1 seems nice and cheap but i don't thing the distortion will be good enough.

Any other good pedals? I will also need a extra lead and maybe a power supply..

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Quaned at Oct 3, 2008,
the ds 1 is good but if you want a serious sound get a quality amp man. you get what you pay for, but if your straped for cash go for it
*EDIT* I mean Distortion Pedal.Sorry everybody.I can't really afford a good amp at the moment..
i like the metal core pedal for what you may be describing, made by boss. stay away from the metal zone, ewww
Gear nut
I love my deathmetal pedal, I can dial in you listed bands plus more - its an affordable pedal that plays well...

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
what kind of amp are you using atm anyways?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
i think the full EHX metal muff would suit you best there, i used to own one, and thought the gain was much fuller and substantial that the boss metal pedals. Plus its got a solo-booster switch
you wont get good tone from a cheap pedal, face it

you get good tone from a good amp and good fingers
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

you get good tone from a good amp and good fingers

This.

But gatdammit, a good pedal helps.

EHX Metal Muff.
Quote by vitchb
i think the full EHX metal muff would suit you best there, i used to own one, and thought the gain was much fuller and substantial that the boss metal pedals. Plus its got a solo-booster switch

+1
Quote by stujomo
Check out the MXR distortion+ as well.

i have the distortion + and its a great pedal, but the thing is its actually an overdrive. another suggestion for a d pedal is the boss ds-2 turbo distortion, its a great pedal with an endless array of sounds
Im using a crappy Fender Frontman 15G. It came with my starter pack guitar.I think the amp has allright distortion to play some songs but i just need some heavy ass distortion.
Get a ds-1, you'll be fine for bedroom practice.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Ok... I understand the Metal Muff is the real deal. But out of the Boss line, which sucks the less for rock to metal?

DS-1
MT-2
Turbo?

Now, the Boss line are pedals that can be modded, aren't they?
What about the Metal Muff?
I'd just get the MI Audio Crunchbox.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by Warpo
Ok... I understand the Metal Muff is the real deal. But out of the Boss line, which sucks the less for rock to metal?

DS-1
MT-2
Turbo?

Now, the Boss line are pedals that can be modded, aren't they?
What about the Metal Muff?

I'm not fond of the MT-2. I've played one extensivly, and it is almost always stinging and buzzing.

The DS-1 is a classic to drive a almost breaking up tube amp into classic hard rock / early heavy metal.

I have no experice with the Turbo.

You can mod any pedal, it's just if you really want or need to. The Metal Muff with Top Boost is a quality pedal.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Hope I'm not too late on your decision here

I too was looking for a good distortion pedal for a decent price when I started getting gear as well, and I ended up getting the Boss DS-1 for $40 bucks at Musicians Friend here in the States. If I did my calculations right, that should be about $51 there in Australia. If you can't find one for a price close to that, I would suggest you buy it off of MS's site.

For $40 I definitely did not regret buying it. I played anything from Hendrix to Metallica to Tool. It could handle all of it great. Just takes a little adjusting of the Tone and Dist nobs to get it where you want it. If you're going balls out, the highest amount of distortion you can get is great. However, if you're going for that real diehard death metal sound you may want to consider the others.
Quote by jb_designs
I'm not fond of the MT-2. I've played one extensivly, and it is almost always stinging and buzzing.

The DS-1 is a classic to drive a almost breaking up tube amp into classic hard rock / early heavy metal.

I have no experice with the Turbo.

You can mod any pedal, it's just if you really want or need to. The Metal Muff with Top Boost is a quality pedal.

Thanks, man!!

I'll try to get a Metal Muff, then. Right now my gear is crap, but I want to start getting quality pedals. I'm set on a EH #1 delay too.
Hm.Might consider buying online then.DS-1 Costs $79 in Australia plus i wanna buy the power supply and leads . So then , what pedal for death metal...?Does the digitech death metal pedal even sound DEATH METAL heavy and do digitech even make power supplys for their pedals..?
Quote by Quaned
DS-1 Costs $79 in Australia

Again, that's too much for that pedal. Try looking around online some more.
They should have them at billy Hyde for around $69 nowadays. I remember I bought mine for $95 ages ago.

https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=288

Thats like 20 bucks more than a Behringer, atleast Boss DS-1's will last you ****loads longer than on of those plastic things.

I have that pedals, I think its really underrated here, probably cause everyone wants to be all brutal.
Hm. I still want to get the digitech death metal...... Again , expensive its $129 Bucks in Australia. Anyone ever bought expensive guitar gear online?
Quote by Quaned
Hm. I still want to get the digitech death metal...... Again , expensive its $129 Bucks in Australia. Anyone ever bought expensive guitar gear online?

i have, over $200 on a fulltone OCD on ebay, $350 on an acoustic from an online retailer and $500 on an amp on ebay.
I cant afford a good amp.. How heavy sounding can a digitech death metal pedal sound with everything turned up max?
Quote by Quaned
I cant afford a good amp.. How heavy sounding can a digitech death metal pedal sound with everything turned up max?

About as heavy as a box of bees.

Seriously, how much more is a Metal Muff?
i have the turbo distortion (DS-2) and its not really a metal pedal.

I actually quite liked the tone of the digitech death metal. except the lack of a gain knob. I think it would work quite well in front of a clean amp, though. You wouldn't need to turn everything up to full.

But i think from what everyones saying you should go with the EHX metal muff. Haven't tried it myself, though.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by imgooley
About as heavy as a box of bees.

Seriously, how much more is a Metal Muff?

Metal Muff is around $169 AUS
Not sure. Anyone have the Digitech RP 50 ? Does that have any distortion?
Quote by SSL27
I'd just get the MI Audio Crunchbox.

This.

MI AUdio is BY FAR the best pedals for the price in Australia.
I looked it up on youtube , doesnt really suit my type of music and doesnt sound heavy enough.
pro co rat
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Imo, most distortion pedals are awfull.
The one that sucks the least is the EHX metal muff. The rest is pretty much crap.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl