Ello people.
I've been playing guitar for nearly 10 weeks.
I think im pretty CRAP.
I can play Last Resort , Holiday and im working on Californication.
I take guitar lessons every Satday but im on school holidays so no lessons for me
I wanna try learn a bit of notation but dont know were i should.
Any suggestions on what i should learn?Thanks.
10 weeks is not very long... my advice is just to keep playing and learn some of the songs you listen to.
My Gear
Electrics - Ibanez RG370DX
Acoustics - Takamine EG510SC, Victoria Classic
Pedals - Ibanez WD7, Marshall ED1, Digitech DF7, Boss AC3, Marshall RG1, Digitech XDD
Amplifiers - Laney HCM15R, Roland Micro Cube
I was able to play classical gas perfectly after 3 weeks...you suck dude

nah i'm just messin with you hah..theres no way thats possible. Maybe take a different approach to practicing or something. You really have to take it slow and just work on nailing the strings right and that you can move between chords smoothly, practice the basic scales over and over. The more you can feel comfortable with those kind of things you should improve. Don't get down on yourself right away.

try to set my basic goals first and work towards them and you can keep adding more difficult things as you complete those goals.

hope it helps a bit
American Fender Strat

Taylor 314CE

Quote by pbiggie
this guy speaks truth
practice practice practice

dude, seriously - we all suck until maybe our 3rd year or so, they you start to get ok, but not good....be patient or you will get frustrated and not develop

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
guitars tough and very very frusterating to learn...itll take awhile for it to just "click"...dont forget Jimi, Van Halen, Clapton...they all sucked horribly in the beginning, they just never let up
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by nemjeff13
guitars tough and very very frusterating to learn...itll take awhile for it to just "click"...dont forget Jimi, Van Halen, Clapton...they all sucked horribly in the beginning, they just never let up

No matter how hard I try.. I can NEVER picture any of those people sucking at guitar ever lol.. But smeh
And yeah, practice like mad, and you'll get it soon.. Heck, a year on and I can only play a few good thrash metal riffs.. Mostly basic 'tallica stuff like from Justice and Lightning
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
yeah dude seriously, the key to getting good at guitar is to never let it become a chore and frustrate you. Recognize your weaknesses and have a plan to attack them, and celebrate your progress. Good way to do this is record yourself once a month, then compare them to last month or the first month. You won't believe the progress, since you hear yourself every day and all. good luck
Quote by Tyler Durden
practice practice practice

dude, seriously - we all suck until maybe our 3rd year or so, they you start to get ok, but not good....be patient or you will get frustrated and not develop

i wouldn't say that. i know someone who's been playing for about a year who can nail 7 string sweeps in nevermore solos. then again, i started in high school and quit for 2 years then came back for a few months and off and on and so forth..

it's all about your dedication, how much does guitar mean to you? how much is your practice time worth? the more you time you spend playing/learning, the better you'll be. there's not set time frame for a learning curve, it's a sheer proportionality to how much you practice. (of course it helps if you're musically talented to start off with.. maybe that's why i took so long to finally break plateaus?)

but for real, just stick with it, keep rockin, and it'll come in due time. don't be stupid like me and put it down, because you'll kick yourself for it every time you play if you pick it back up
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
Quote by CvPrEpKiLLaH
i wouldn't say that. i know someone who's been playing for about a year who can nail 7 string sweeps in nevermore solos. then again, i started in high school and quit for 2 years then came back for a few months and off and on and so forth..

it's all about your dedication, how much does guitar mean to you? how much is your practice time worth? the more you time you spend playing/learning, the better you'll be. there's not set time frame for a learning curve, it's a sheer proportionality to how much you practice. (of course it helps if you're musically talented to start off with.. maybe that's why i took so long to finally break plateaus?)

but for real, just stick with it, keep rockin, and it'll come in due time. don't be stupid like me and put it down, because you'll kick yourself for it every time you play if you pick it back up

yeah but for the 1 guy you know that can do that, Im sure you know 20 others that still suck after 3 years....its a general statement

you are right though, its all about dedication and what you are looking to get out of it. Im a hobbiest right now, I love playing my favorite covers and Im starting to write my own stuff, but Im not looking to be in a touring band or anything so for me its just about having fun but getting good as time goes on...

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Yeah, just keep practicing on stuff you think you can do at your current level. Although it is important to start alternate picking early - it will hinder your playing a lot later if you can't. Don't try anything too hard and frustrating, just keep on practicing what feels right for you.

And don't do all those boring scale excercises. You'll turn into a brainwashed robot. Keep on playing for fun, and you WILL make progress.

---
And on sucking our first three years, that is very individual. I've played for one year, and I don't consider myself to "suck". I can play most kinds of metal, although I prefer to play melodic music like Dark Tranquillity and Children of Bodom. I don't really consider that to be "sucking". I consider barely playing the Smells Like Teen Spirit solo to "suck" (that is, after playing for a year).

But I know guys who can play about 10-12 tones per second controled after just a year. I know guys who makes sweep-tap arpeggios (not crystal clean though) after playing for 4 years. Some people just learn very quickly, and practice A LOT.
I've been going for about 4weeks now. Can do some simple Satch and the "obvious" songs like Back In Black.

The problem with me is that i get all cranky 'cuz i can't play like a pro right away, and there's always a stupidly hard part in the middle of my favourite songs.
Quote by GustavLW

And don't do all those boring scale excercises. You'll turn into a brainwashed robot.

Dude, don't tell him not to do scales, that's his decision to make. They don't turn you into a 'mindless robot', the only ones who suffer from this are the ones who couldn't play anything anyway, and at least they have scales now...

Quote by GustavLW
I've played for one year

Sounds like you're doing good for one year from what you say, but that doesn't entitle you to direct noobs on subjects of theory, when you don't know any yourself. Not trying to flame, but just thought I'd put my 2cents in.
My friend and i both started 2 years ago, he was freaking amazing after a year, when i could only do chords and what not, and now after two years hes even better, and i can now play alright.

It just takes practice to get good, all he does is play his guitar, while i spend time doing other things, but if you keep working it is really easy to get good.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
People learn at different rates. People learn different speeds at different rates. Some people can look at a barre and get it down in a day. Others may take weeks to get a barre down right. Some people can learn 100 chords in a month perfectly, but not be able to switch between them for months. Others can learn chords slowly but switch between them in a breeze. Its about you learning, not how you compare to other people.
Its really hard when some people get frustrated that you "Haven't learned barre chords yet?" That happened to me, and it sucks. Just because he got a ton better over the summer from practicing non-stop doesn't mean that you have to get that much better in a short amount of time too. Its not about learning it quicker then someone else. Learning an instrument takes dedication and time, but you need to enjoy it. I might be spending more time then advanced people learning how to get the strumming completely down for Wonderwall, and having fun doing different techniques on Horse With No Name, but the fact is I like doing this and I know I'm getting better even if its not at a the same pace as someone else.
Like the other person said, practicing scales is your choice. Some people find it insanely boring and refuse to do it. Others see it as very productive and they see their playing get better by practicing it. Its up to you what you do, but don't let someone who says "You haven't been doing XXXX Scale?" in such a way that your so crappy and stupid get you down. Guitarists really should be helping each other get better at their own pace and give advice, not really say how they think they haven't been doing things "Right." and how they are so much better for doing something in a shorter amount of time and practicing 8 hours a day.
Guitars Owned: Yamaha F335