IronSam
30 IQ
I have wondered this thing for a while. I've been playing over a year now and when I play power chords (lets take C5 as an example) I use my index on the A string and my barred pinky on the D and G strings. Now when I've watched some videos on youtube (of some home players who think they'r so cool) I've noticed that many of them crawl their fingers when playing power chords instead of barreing.

So here is the question: Which one is the (more) right way to play 3 stringed power chords (C5 for example)? Is my barred index + pinky combination a wrong way and should I play that C5 like index on A, ring on D and pinky on G instead? I can use both ways but I find it easier to change chords with 2-finger barre (in songs like Dokkens Breaking the chains). Can you give some examples what ways you self use?

Thank you
identityxcrysis
717 IQ
Whatever is more comfortable to you.
I used to play the way you did, and noticed that no one else really did. But after a while it became really painful to bar the two strings with my pinky, and I slowly started using my pinky and my ring finger more and more, and that's how I play them all. Do it whatever way works best for you.
Axe Murderer
120 IQ
Seems like a personal thing to me. Ive been going for about a year now and Ive tried the barred way, but really didnt like it. I use my index, ring and pinky. That took some practice too (mainly the pinky) but it just worked best for me.
Athetosis
has no useful title
20 IQ
Quote by IronSam
I use my index on the A string and my barred pinky on the D and G strings.

Oi. How do you do that?

You must have some serious sausage fingers or else you're never sliding those powerchords up.

It hurts the crap out of my fingers to do that, bends it weird at the knuckle. Then again, I have long, spindly fingers :|
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
6_months_N
30 IQ
I usually play in drop-D or low-B, but in E standard I barre with my Ring, is that wrong?
Poglia
Rhythm guitarist
1,381 IQ
Quote by GustavLW
Holy shit, is that piny barre-thingy even possible?
Yes I tried it some times and it works, but I don't like it.
Op3th
As high as a towel
10 IQ
That's the same way I play power chords: index with my pinky barring the other two notes. I find that is the most natural, easy way for me to do it (especially on acoustic).
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Necrophagist777
Fusion = The New Shred
111 IQ
I have no problems barring with my pinky, ive always done it that way.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
sesstreets
Spiral out. Keep going.
280 IQ
I do it with my ring and middle finger. Try it, unless you have quite large hands like I do its a painful thing.

But then again I have no problem play an F#7 chord with the first two strings.

Yes thats fret 2 on the E string and fret 8 on the A string. Thats how big my hands are.
Zar Mulix
Wannabe Bum
10 IQ
I use my index ring and pinky for powerchords. Not only do I find it uncomfortable to barre with my pinky, but it leaves the rest of my fingers contorted in a weird way and doesn't leave them open to do much else.
I don't need a sig....
sbikram
50 IQ
Quote by Athetosis
Oi. How do you do that?

You must have some serious sausage fingers or else you're never sliding those powerchords up.

It hurts the crap out of my fingers to do that, bends it weird at the knuckle. Then again, I have long, spindly fingers :|

it's not that hard as you think buddy...
I play that way too...
brentondig
Undead Head
515 IQ
A always tell myself to not play barred-power chords, and it works for a little while, but as I get really into a song, I revert back to playing barred ones. I'm sure there isn't much difference, besides how comfortable my fingers feel.
Enclose
40 IQ
I use my indexfinger for the root note and ringfinger to barre the the others. Same thing as you do, just a different finger.

My hand does tend to hurt after 15 minutes or so of playing (with which I mean almost completely powerchordbased songs). It might just be my mustles still building up though (I only started recently)
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
120 IQ
Quote by sesstreets
I do it with my ring and middle finger. Try it, unless you have quite large hands like I do its a painful thing.

But then again I have no problem play an F#7 chord with the first two strings.

Yes thats fret 2 on the E string and fret 8 on the A string. Thats how big my hands are.

1 - Playing that "F#7" shape you named isn't actually F#7, it's just 2 notes, even if it was implying a chord it would be F#maj7, F#7 contains the 1 3 5 b7.

2 - That isn't actually a big or awkward stretch so stop trying to brag. For anyone who practices stretching chords and licks that's not hard at all.

3 - The way you play is actually poor technique, stretching needlessly isn't a good idea at all. Learn to play any of the other ways.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
Findinghomer
30 IQ
power chords are to be played with three fingers, barring is very bad technique. esp if your a beginner , playing the correct way will help you when you start learning real barre chords.
R.D
UG's Fat Midget
70 IQ
I find using my ring finger and pinky better. It's easier to go from that into single notes or other types of chords, cause when you barre you put down a lot more force than indovidual fingers, this leads to you're fingers resisting movement against eachother and makes finger independancy more difficult

+ it will get your hands in the right places for barre chords
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Last edited by R.D at Oct 4, 2008,
fretman5000
51 IQ
I barre the strings with my index and ring finger and leave the middle and pinky at rest.
asirusas
10 IQ
maybe im REALLY weird here but i barre it with my ring finger. its easy because index and ring are really strong fingers. id never do it on pinky that seems a bit weak for the intense power chord playing i do.
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......
30 IQ
I use 1st finger and pinky for power chords but i never added the extra barre chord love much. But if i did i would use the pinky. Its just natural for me.
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
MaaZeus
30 IQ
I have wondering this myself. Except not in the case of typical power chords but for example this one

e-----
B-----
G-----
D--3--
A--1--
E--1--

Not sure what this is really called, but should I barre the strings in first fret with my index finger or use index and middle finger for the first fret on 1 and 2 string and pinky (or ring finger if you are feeling stretchy) for the third fret on 3 string. Barring feels more natural but sometimes I mess it up.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
reincarnator
20 IQ
Quote by MaaZeus
I have wondering this myself. Except not in the case of typical power chords but for example this one

e-----
B-----
G-----
D--3--
A--1--
E--1--

Not sure what this is really called, but should I barre the strings in first fret with my index finger or use index and middle finger for the first fret on 1 and 2 string and pinky (or ring finger if you are feeling stretchy) for the third fret on 3 string. Barring feels more natural but sometimes I mess it up.

That's an inverted power chord I think. I'd bar the E and A with my index and use the ring finger for the D.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
MaaZeus
30 IQ
Quote by mdc
Guyz, this thread is 5 fucking years old. Necro bump.

Well, atleast it proved to be beneficial for me because I got advice on what to do.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3