Poll: what bass should my friend buy (read thread first)?
Poll Options
View poll results: what bass should my friend buy (read thread first)?
musicman stingray 4 string
5 10%
musicman stingray 5 string
36 72%
Warwick double buck 5 string corvette-swamp ash
9 18%
Voters: 50.
Ok, my friend wants a new bass and has narrowed it down to 3 choices:

-A warwick double buck corvette 5 string (swamp ash)

-A musicman stingray 4 string

-A musicman stingray 5 string

Money IS an important value here, as he doesn't want to splash out, but likes musicman, and wants a 5 string. he has tried the warwick and liked that alot too, but not quite as much.
However, I'm unable to advise him on any more than a basic level, as I have only played these basses briefly and did not really like either (great basses, but not my thing). We have different playing styles, which also doesn't help, i'm more into fingerstyle and he's more into slap (flea has always been his hero, entwhistle is mine, if that helps). I do not know a massive amount about the differences between the basses either, other than the obvious (active electronics, humbucking pickups etc).

SO, I need your help UG. What would you, considering the monetary costs of each bass and my friends preferance for 5 strings/stingrays, do in this situation? and don't say try them out, cause he's done that.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
he wants a 5 string and likes musicman

SR5
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by Vampire 255
he wants a 5 string and likes musicman

SR5

Fairly obv choice here likes the musicman and 5 string and prefers it to the warwick why did you need help with this??
For a slap tone?
Stingray is the only way to go, unfortunately that's why I sold mine - I don't do much slap haha.
1st ever MOD challenge winner
Rush Club Member #5
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
Member #21 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join
Quote by HEXAGRAM66
Fairly obv choice here likes the musicman and 5 string and prefers it to the warwick why did you need help with this??

Because the warwick is considerably less pricey, and he's pretty skint as it is.

Funny old world eh.
I own a warwick double-buck, and while I would say the idea of a MM does appeal to me, but whenever I pop in a 311, Mudvayne, or old DMB album, I am convinced otherwise. That growl, the plethora of tones, and the active/passive bypass to top it all off, gives the $$ a much wider variety of applications. As bassists, we can no longer shelter ourselves in one genre... we are called to be a jack of all trades.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
The Stingray is a monster to slap on.

And the Stringray is pretty versatile, and it's used in a lot of different genre's. ^
^Agreed. "Punch" and "growl" are becoming less and less limited to certain genres. Really either of the two would work in any genre... but I'm forced to say that the Stinger is useful in more situations. With the Double Buck, you get more growl. With the Stinger, you get a good amount of growl still and a whole lotta punch.

And TS I don't understand why there's an option between a 4-string and a fiver. If he wants a fiver, if he'll USE a fiver, he should get a fiver. Fiver.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by wouldyakindly
Money IS an important value here

If it really was, he/you wouldn't be looking basses that were nearly $2,000.
Quote by corndogggy
If it really was, he/you wouldn't be looking basses that were nearly $2,000.

i know, I keep telling him that. problem is, he has the money, but really, he should be using it for other priorities besides his bass, which is part of the point. Still, anything below that price would be a step back, so I see his logic. By the way, my friend does exist, at least, i don't personally see any reason for me to make it up.

Anyhow thanks for the input, I think he's going to get the stingray, even if he has to live without a car for a few months...

Funny old world eh.
Quote by wouldyakindly
i know, I keep telling him that. problem is, he has the money, but really, he should be using it for other priorities besides his bass, which is part of the point. Still, anything below that price would be a step back, so I see his logic. By the way, my friend does exist, at least, i don't personally see any reason for me to make it up.

Anyhow thanks for the input, I think he's going to get the stingray, even if he has to live without a car for a few months...

My opinion, Bass > Car, and if it's what he wants, good for him. There's nothing like a brilliant bass to call your own. I'm in a lot of debt, but I don't mind, i have a lushus bass!
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by wouldyakindly
Because the warwick is considerably less pricey, and he's pretty skint as it is.

the warwick is several hundred dollars more expensive
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
it's the swamp ash single coil Warwick guys. not the double buck.

I suggest getting the Stingray. it's cheaper than not getting it and buying it later. which is what he will do within 2 years anyways.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
If money should be considered--maybe he should look at the used market. And I would choose the 5 string Stingray. I love my Stingray and even on the fretless the zing and growl on those basses is amazing.
Stingrays are great, but as mentioned earlier, when playing a stringray, I get tempted to play some mudvayne or something of the likes and I end up grabbing a Warwick off the shelf.

By the way, Double Buck or Corvette standard. Which is better for Mudvayne? I don't havet he cash for a damn Thumb. xD
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
did he look at G&L L2500 basses, they are somewhay similare to both basses mentioned
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by TANKER69
did he look at G&L L2500 basses, they are somewhay similare to both basses mentioned

G&L = Warwick?

no. G&L is great, Warwick is great, but to say that they sound similar (no e, btw) is silly. what G&L excels at is warm, smooth, thumpy lines, and old school sounding slap. Warwick is more punchy, often bright, and for me anyways, gets a great fingerstyle, especially with that model. the look is also different, along with the feel.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom