Greetings,

This is not the final version of the song, but I would like some feedback on the use of the megaphone voice effect. I intend to play with it this weekend and try just applying it to the chorus and bridge rather than the whole song, but not sure that it will sound right flipping back and forth.

I tried it just for fun and kind of liked it - then I really liked what it does for the higher notes of the vocals because my singing is pretty weak and I warble/choke on those higher notes in the clean version - but with the distorted effect its completely unnoticable and it sounds like im wailing those notes instead = thank you computers

(ps the vocal track chops out for a few seconds at around 2:50 because my 30 minutes was up on guitar rig mid recording - am aware of this and obv will do it right in final ver!)

I also intend to try adding a drum track and maybe a lead guitar part as I play with it, but right now I'm mostly wondering about the vocal effect... saw someone write in another thread that voice effects are for crap singers... well, yes - but does it work in that case assuming you can't just get a better singer? :p

The track is called "Got the angles covered"

http://www.purevolume.com/darcyhartwick

As always will C4C anyone who can feedback - please advise on the vocal effect if you have any opinions about what im using or in the use of such effects in general. Might be hard without hearing the clean ver - but trust me I warble on the high notes of the chorus! :p
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
well when the song first started out i was pretty weary of the megaphone effect but after a while it grew on me which i guess is good. but over all it the lyrics were pretty solid. i can kinda hear when i focus to see were your vocie kinda cracks but the megaphone coverd it up pretty well and the guitar seemed to fit well with them. you should get a talk box or something and mess arround with some of the settings for some other vocals effects. overall i liked the track.

thanks for the critic on my tracks i understand what your saying with them sounding bland without leads over them. here is the drum pad that i use for my beats its priced at 300 but i got it for 150

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2007/07/27/alesis-intros-performance-pad-drum-machine/
Last edited by fudger at Oct 3, 2008,
The vocal effect isn't bad, but It is definitely distracting after a while. I think after you get past the first "got the angles" it would sound good if you dropped the effect. I don't think a crappy singer would detract from the song more than the vocal effects.

Guitar is cool. Vocal melody is good. Your voice doesn't sound bad to me. I'm not sure if it's the sound you want, but I think a cleaner/less gritty guitar tone would fit the song better(at least without accompaniment. I am afan of the shimmering clean tone.)

Overall, it's a good song and I like it. I liked the lyrics. Thumbs up from me.

I liked dragons a lot too.
Thanks for the comments! I had a few friends look and all agreed the effect was a bit over the top and distracting so I've toned down the levels on it and eliminated pretty much all of that static/white noise.

The new ver is up on my PV site, gonna roll with it like that I think rather than worry about flipping back and forth between clean and megaphone effect. Hoping a friend of mine might have some ideas for lead guitar part to add more depth
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
First off i like the song, As for the vocal effect, I think you should use it just as an intro or something and not throughout the whole song cos it gets a little annoying when it cracks up. You're good singer and those effects mask it. Overall it's a good song.

crit for crit?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=971097
"Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life.Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!" ~ Billy Connolly