One of the songs from my band that finally got turned into a GP file. I'm curious what you guys think, and as always, C4C.

By the way, there are a bunch of parts with a lot of repetitions. Those would be where vocals are, but I don't have them tabbed out.

Enjoy!
Attachments:
Desolate.zip
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
That is one extremely dissonant song.

I love it.

The riffs are great, going from the simple pedal point riffs that sound exotic yet at the same time, normal.

The bass is fine where it lays, the drums are great as well.

The solo bit was slightly evil sounding and that works so well. The next start-stop riff is great, but gladly its not the chug style start and stop I despise so much . Bar 111 is almost folky, and thusly awesome. The fact that the bass led the acoustic break was really cool.

150-157 was an excellent riff, GREAT buildup.

My only issue with this song is some riffs are repeated a few times too many.

Beyond that, excellent work, 8.4ish/10.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I like the build up in the song, great job on that, also liked the little acoustic bit, although the tempo changed too much in that section.
The end solo didn't seem to fit well together, it ended to abruptly. Maybe end it with one or more 'sad' acoustic chords?
And some solo's could use abit better build up, but overall I like it
8.7/10
Ok.... any particular reasons why? Comments? Suggestions?
Acrasia

Wings Denied
Quote by silhouettica
Ok.... any particular reasons why? Comments? Suggestions?

marskell is a retard on anything metal, his opinions and comments are null and void, anyhoo im just about tpo listen to it now

Edit: you should probably go straight to the dissonant stuff right at the start and dump the generic metalcore riffs at the start, they didnt add anything to the song. the rest is great although maybe try speed it up somewhere in the middle to make it a bit more interesting
Last edited by ch715dallat at Oct 3, 2008,
Alright, thanks for the view on that guy.

And thanks for the crits, everyone else. Anything you want me to crit ch714dallat?
Acrasia

Wings Denied
its chris btw and nope, i cant seen to finish anything these days i start it then i realise its not the style i wanna write and i restart, im currently writing very spazzy melodic progressive metal in the vein of the arusha accord and architects and stuff
Thanks for your crit mate.

Your song was awesome too, I wasn't really a fan of first 10 bars, that was a bit unnecessary, but then the riffs that start after that are great, I especially liked the harmonizing. The solo was ok, a bit too slow for my liking, songs like that should have faster solos, but that one was good.

Also I thought that in bar 125 when the acoustic guitar starts, it was a bit empty, it would be better if you put other instruments to fill that void.

The last part was probably my favorite, how it becomes faster and the riffs get really heavy, bar 160 to 167 reminds me a lot of Opeth rhythm.
Oh and the drums were also nicely done.

I'd give it an 8.5/10.
Good job, hope you recorded soon.
Intro: Very metalcore sounding, not sure if it fits with the rest of the song though.
The riff at bar 44 was weird to say the least, and so was the next riff. I kinda liked them though, and the bass was pretty good. Riff 44 sounded a lot better the second time for some reason.
The riff at bar 79 was pretty basic and the drums were a bit too stop start-ish imo, it didnt flow that well. The solo was okay, nothing special. The drum problem persists during the harmonies, which I like a lot (the harmonies, that is).
The acoustic break was nice, but i think it would have been better if the notes would have let the notes ring. I really like the bass during the acoutic break, sounds like some game music actually. When the distorted guitar come in, the drums get the same problem as at bar 79. I like how the song changes at bar 145. The riff at bar 150 but the rhythm didnt fit along with the harmony. The riff at bar 180 was okay but maybe a bit too dissonant.
All in all this was a nice song and I really liked some parts of it, especially the bass. But the drums were not that good, some parts repeated a little too often and didnt fit that well with the other parts. Other than that, a solid song.