Hey I just realised the way that I pick is abnormal. When I pick songs, I rest my pinky and my ring finger on the pickgaurd. Is this a bad habbit to get into. Just wondering because I noticed that I haven't seen anyone pick like that before.
As long as you don't 'anchor' your fingers, its okay.

Anchoring is very bad, but if your fingers are just resting, its fine.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
it might slow you down? i've noticed i pick noticeably more accurate when i anchor my wrist behind the bridge or palm mute, but you limit your speed by taking your whole hand's movement out of the equation. you might have to re-learn how to pick with your hand free sometime down the road?
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
No thats not reall abnormal...I've seen quite a few guitarists do that...

Including Michael Angelo Batio
Originally Posted by NAME GOES HERE
Dude, with a name like Cannibal Corpse, what were you expecting? Ponies and rainbows?

Ok, just wanted to make sure I didn't start doing something that I would have to un-learn further down the road.
i tihnk all you have to do is

make sure every note you pick utilises your wrist and not solely your thumb and index fingers moving on their own.
Anchoring isn't a big deal i don't do it personally, but i know several people that do, and play fine when doing it. It took me awhile for them to talk me into believing that it could be done without disrupting their picking pattern. Then they showed me videos of Paul Gilbert(one of My Favorite shred Players)doing it onstage! So i went on UG and read hundreds of forums saying "WTF are you doing!!?! anchoring!?! that will make you suck BALLZ" so i was convinced not to do it. But when i asked one of my best friends(also who doesn't anchor) to ask his Guitar teacher what the deal is with anchoring his teacher simply replied "its a personal choice and you go ahead and do whatever feels right". He even said "I even do it from time to time but there's no proof it will create faults in your picking pattern" and I still remain a little bit sceptical about this but i don't think it the HUGE F***ING deal everybody gets fired up about.
If you are applying noticeable pressure on the guitar's body with those anchoring fingers, then you need to re-learn your picking hand technique.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by Kolb-Stomp
Anchoring isn't a big deal i don't do it personally, but i know several people that do, and play fine when doing it. It took me awhile for them to talk me into believing that it could be done without disrupting their picking pattern. Then they showed me videos of Paul Gilbert(one of My Favorite shred Players)doing it onstage! So i went on UG and read hundreds of forums saying "WTF are you doing!!?! anchoring!?! that will make you suck BALLZ" so i was convinced not to do it. But when i asked one of my best friends(also who doesn't anchor) to ask his Guitar teacher what the deal is with anchoring his teacher simply replied "its a personal choice and you go ahead and do whatever feels right". He even said "I even do it from time to time but there's no proof it will create faults in your picking pattern" and I still remain a little bit sceptical about this but i don't think it the HUGE F***ING deal everybody gets fired up about.

Where? video please, I have never seen PG anchor.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.