Look, I got the <> the right way round!

Anyways, I'm looking for a new guitar that will compliment my setup. I gig regularly with my band and I want a decent second guitar (by no means a backup, this will be used equally with my DK2M). We play lots of different styles including blues, funk, mod rock and some metal. I would like it to have a modern sound, with some nice sustain and a thick, almost single coil sounding neck pickup.

In short I'd like to be able to get some sort of Mayer-esque clean sound and an Oasis through Gilbert dirty tone. I'm also up for replacing the pickups, though if it's going to comprimise quality at my budget then I'd rather but the guitar with cheap pups and replace them later when I've saved more.

What I've been looking at so far are PRS and Ibanez (no wizard neck though, too thin). Can you suggest me up some axes please?

can't really think of much offhand... yamaha pacifica 812?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Schecter Classic C1? Good Pickups stock
Washburn X-50 Pro? Change the low end SD's to Dimarzio or Bare Knuckle?
I just got a PGM301 which is over your budget but the PAF PRO's work really well for punchy tight gain. I'd look in to them for pickups.
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Thanks for the replies guys. I don't usually like sig gear, but that Gilbert guitar was VERY tempting. How good is it? Tonewise and playing wise.

It doesn't have a wizard neck either does it?
The PGM301 is the nicest guitar I've ever played, I've played the Jem, a few high end ESP's and some high end Fenders, of course the Fender is better for cleans but that's obvious, for my style i prefer the PGM301.

It's slightly over your budget but it means you wont have to change pickups, the PAF PRO in the neck split with the Dimarzio single coil gives great cleans whereas the PAF PRO in the Bridge split with the single coil gives a great twang sound. By Itself in the Neck it gives a warm fat tone and in the Bridge a great lead tone. All in all a very versatile guitar, i couldn't be happier with my purchase

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-pgm-301/12340

You're probably gonna have this as your main guitar for 5/10 years, save the extra £170 and get it, trust me you won't regret it

Its one of the few signature guitars alongside satch's and Vai's that are highly regarded
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Like I say, I'm tempted. It's really between the PGM and this:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/73614

Lower budget I know, but I just think that buying the PGM (nice as it is) is like buying a slightly better version of a guitar I already own (the Jackson DK2M)..

Anyone have any expierience with the PRS?
The PGM is superior in every way to the Jackson, nice guitar though :P PRS are renown for having pretty average budget guitars and phenomenal upper market ones, although I've never played on a PRS
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
Schecter Classic C1? Good Pickups stock
Washburn X-50 Pro? Change the low end SD's to Dimarzio or Bare Knuckle?

low end SDs? if you ask me, the duncans in the washburn are superior to those in the schecter...

Quote by bartdevil_metal
Thanks for the replies guys. I don't usually like sig gear, but that Gilbert guitar was VERY tempting. How good is it? Tonewise and playing wise.

It doesn't have a wizard neck either does it?

i thought it did but i could be wrong.

i haven't tried that prs se custom semi hollow, but i tried a couple of other SEs recently which were very, very average (british understatement/euphemism)... they were looking £400 for them, i wouldn't have given £200.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Check out Ernie Ball Music Man, they are awesome
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.
A gibson SG can handle all the genres you mentioned, you can get a second hand one for around the £600 mark if you look around properly, you can get a SG special in that price range though (about £500) I love mine, it's got tonns of playability and some really nice pickups
If you like Epiphone/Gibson tones, you can also try the Epiphone Les Paul Standard.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top?sku=517413

If you want a Les Paul, don't buy one of those over-priced Gibson ones. This one is only $500, and has awesome colors.

Les Pauls can handle anything, but as for metal it will be decent.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Fender Mexican HSS with a hotter bridge pickup possibly? That should obviously give you your Mayer-esque cleans and with perhaps a Seymour Duncan Custom 5 (SH-14) in the bridge, it should do the thicker stuff well. For added fun, do a coil split on the Custom 5.
Last edited by whiteraven119 at Oct 4, 2008,
I think the PGM neck is actually 2mm thinner than the wizard lol. i am really wanting one myself, as soon as i have the money its mine and then a rg550 off ebay for a fr guitar. I wouldnt go with prs myself as it seems a lot of money for what u get, I would look into yamaha pacifica 612v or 812v and Godin freeway classic http://www.guitarzone.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_112&products_id=209&osCsid=976ef6cbea14e7a67c12c265f411138d
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
I think the PGM neck is actually 2mm thinner than the wizard lol. i am really wanting one myself, as soon as i have the money its mine and then a rg550 off ebay for a fr guitar. I wouldnt go with prs myself as it seems a lot of money for what u get, I would look into yamaha pacifica 612v or 812v and Godin freeway classic http://www.guitarzone.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_112&products_id=209&osCsid=976ef6cbea14e7a67c12c265f411138d

I think it's actually 2mm thicker than the Wizards, so 20mm at the nut and 22mm at the base. Seems like it would be good for you, TS.
Notorious S.I.G.
I'm after a pretty similar guitar and I was looking at the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II and the PGM300/301. The Les Paul will give you a very clean acoustic sound but can be used for normal rock sounds too.
Quote by saphrax
Bit harsh I think! He comes back for the last 10 minutes against Roma, after being out all season, and you want him crippled again? You harsh wanker!

Aimed at me for saying I hope Gary Neville breaks all his limbs
Quote by xenophon979
I think it's actually 2mm thicker than the Wizards, so 20mm at the nut and 22mm at the base. Seems like it would be good for you, TS.

really? this site says its thinner http://www.guitar-mania.com/ibanez-pgm301-p-44.html then again another sight says its thicker lol.

I have just looked on the ibanez website and it says its 2mm thicker so your right but then again under the neck dimensions for it it says 18mm at 1st and 20mm at 12th which is thinner surely?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Last edited by lwayneio at Oct 5, 2008,
Many replies to sift through

I've thought a lot about it and I think I'm going to let the PGM go. I just can't justify buying it when it's basically an upgrade from my DK2M, I want an altogether contrasting guitar that will compliment the Jackson. If I ever feel the need to upgrade the Jackson then it would probably be to the PGM, but as I'm happy with the Jackson, it won't be yet.

So, new thread target. From the advice from timi, I should stay away from the SE series. However I'm really hoocked on the idea of a Semi Hollowbody, so long as it isn't a huge jazz guitar. What do you think of this:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/69508

Is there better out there?

As to Epiphones and Gibsons, if I were to fail in my quest for a decent semi hollow then I'd probably end up getting a higher end Epi (like a custom or something).

Cheers for any responses