We started watching Gattaca last year in my IT class (our teacher was big on sci fi, etc. and we watched it when subs were there).

I thought it was interesting (from what I watched). I know I really need to rewatch it without distractions, though.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I've never seen Gattaca... but I have a feeling it's about artificially creating life/DNA.

... If so, then yes. One day it'll happen.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by fallenangel20
We started watching Gattaca last year in my IT class (our teacher was big on sci fi, etc. and we watched it when subs were there).

I thought it was interesting (from what I watched). I know I really need to rewatch it without distractions, though.

I thought it sounded good at first, then we started watching it and I thought it was lame, but then I liked it. The ending is amazing, if anyone wants to see it. Although then there's not much point in watching the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWw9tboDtrg
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I've never seen Gattaca... but I have a feeling it's about artificially creating life/DNA.

... If so, then yes. One day it'll happen.

I hope I'm no longer alive when that day comes.
Quote by frottage
I thought it sounded good at first, then we started watching it and I thought it was lame, but then I liked it. The ending is amazing, if anyone wants to see it. Although then there's not much point in watching the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWw9tboDtrg

I just remember we were joking about the whole premis that Ethan Hawke's character had a disease.

We made this huge, complicated sub story about how it was this heart disease, and if anything TOO traumatic happened to him his heart would explode out of his chest.

We had it down to a science as to where we thought his heart should have exploded in each scene, and how people would react around him, etc.

We were REALLY bored.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by frottage
I hope I'm no longer alive when that day comes.

Oh I really want to see it.

It'll be... fascinating. And interesting.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by fallenangel20
I just remember we were joking about the whole premis that Ethan Hawke's character had a disease.

We made this huge, complicated sub story about how it was this heart disease, and if anything TOO traumatic happened to him his heart would explode out of his chest.

We had it down to a science as to where we thought his heart should have exploded in each scene, and how people would react around him, etc.

We were REALLY bored.

Lol, wow. We weren't allowed to talk or take our eyes off the screen at all.

Is Ethan Hawke really famous or something? I'd never seen/heard of him until that movie. He was pretty funny in it though.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Oh I really want to see it.

It'll be... fascinating. And interesting.

I think it'll be sad. I wouldn't consider something like that human, idk. They'd just be fake people.
Quote by frottage
I think it'll be sad. I wouldn't consider something like that human, idk. They'd just be fake people.

No. I don't see it that way.

Their genes, even though they are artificial... They're like ours. They'll still be carbon based organisms, with human DNA and proteins. Artificial, or natural. I'd find it incredibly fascinating.

And a guy did create an artificial gene... I think his name's Craig Venter.
Carmel is hawt
Man that human engineering is creepy, but I wish they would have done it to me and gave me a huge dong.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
No. I don't see it that way.

Their genes, even though they are artificial... They're like ours. They'll still be carbon based organisms, with human DNA and proteins. Artificial, or natural. I'd find it incredibly fascinating.

And a guy did create an artificial gene... I think his name's Craig Venter.
Craig venter created an artificially synthesised bacterium with what is thought to be the smallest genome possible for a modern bacterium to live.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Craig venter created an artificially synthesised bacterium with what is thought to be the smallest genome possible for a modern bacterium to live.

It's a start.

That bacterium could be modified, and over time become more advanced until it's ready to... "turn into" an organism.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
It's a start.

That bacterium could be modified, and over time become more advanced until it's ready to... "turn into" an organism.
It is an organism.
Quote by freedoms_stain
It is an organism.

Then what's the argument?

Anyways, yeah, Brave New World I could see happening, and do see happening quite often.
In an interstellar burst! I am back to save the universe...
Quote by freedoms_stain
It is an organism.

Well sorry. Duuh . I meant a bigger and more.... able organism. Like say a human.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Well sorry. Duuh . I meant a bigger and more.... able organism. Like say a human.
Well such an occurance would require a few billion years and a pretty major extinction event to wipe out most of the multicellular life on the planet to open up some niches for it to fill.
Quote by frottage
Lol, wow. We weren't allowed to talk or take our eyes off the screen at all.

Is Ethan Hawke really famous or something? I'd never seen/heard of him until that movie. He was pretty funny in it though.

He's semi famous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethan_Hawke#Filmography

I mean, he played in The Dead Poet's Society when he was younger, and he's had some good roles since then (and Gattaca), but he's not REALLY well known.

Saxo-Walrus