Page 1 of 2
Anyone seen this film? I absolutely love it. Not only does it have a great story and a great message, it is also brilliantly made.

I'd also like to recommend Tropa de elite which is basically City of God but shot from the police point of view. Also Bus 174 who is made by the same director as tropa de elite.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Never seen it.
The title sounds awesome though.

It's about the favelas (slums) in Rio de janiero. Basically a bunch of people running around trying to gain control of the slums. Lots of 12 year olds killing eachother and the story is about a guy who grew up with them and becomes a photographer. It's based on a true story.
Quote by Greenie_777
It's about the favelas (slums) in Rio de janiero. Basically a bunch of people running around trying to gain control of the slums. Lots of 12 year olds killing eachother and the story is about a guy who grew up with them and becomes a photographer. It's based on a true story.

Sweet.

I wanna watch it now.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
I consider it the best film ever made and it is my favorite movie...It is strange to see it pop up on this site randomly, I am one of the few people I know whose seen it and its sort of a joke between friends...I just saw it for the eigth time a few days ago with a friend. I reccomend it to anyone.
Quote by prsguitarman
the movie is sweet probably the best subtitled film i've seen

It is? I just watched it in Portuguese.
Quote by Thales
It is? I just watched it in Portuguese.

yeah when i rented it i didnt realize that it was subtitled and was a little turned off at first because its a long one but i'm so glad i watched the entire thing. About 20 or so minutes into it i totally forgot i was reading and watching at the same time lol
A little off topic but is anyone a fan of Requiem for a Dream? The subject of the movie is different but it has the same filming style as City Of God and is just as good if not better.
I watched it in yr 12 Media.
Everyone else said they didnt really notice the subtitles after a while...

Me? They ****ing pissed me off.

It was just like reading a book, with the words being read in a different language in the background
Quote by sam b
I watched it in yr 12 Media.
Everyone else said they didnt really notice the subtitles after a while...

Me? They ****ing pissed me off.

It was just like reading a book, with the words being read in a different language in the background

Learn to speak portuguese

Although, I actually found myself reading them instead of listening. To be fair, they had a strong accent and they spoke fast. I haven't been to Brasil in a while
Quote by prsguitarman
A little off topic but is anyone a fan of Requiem for a Dream? The subject of the movie is different but it has the same filming style as City Of God and is just as good if not better.

Incredible film.

+I still stand by the fact that if City Of God were in English it would be more widely regarded as one of the best films ever made.
Quote by prsguitarman

It's a great film, but I wouldn't say it was better than City Of God - but not much I've seen is better than that.

Quote by the_astronaut
+I still stand by the fact that if City Of God were in English it would be more widely regarded as one of the best films ever made.

It'll probably not be long before there's a shitty Hollywood remake of it.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Last edited by Vince Noir at Oct 3, 2008,
What's wrong with subtitles? When I grew up, I had to watch everything with subtitles because I didn't know english that well, so we had romanian subtitles for everything, I got used to it. I never once found it annoying.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by Vince Noir
It's a great film, but I wouldn't say it was better than City Of God - but not much I've seen is better than that.

Is that the REAL Vince Noir!!?

Oh and City of God is an amazing film.
Quote by Vince Noir

I would hope not. :|
Great, great movie.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Great film, im going to watch bus 174 right now, ive had it on my harddrive forever.

Ill be back in a few hours with reactions.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Page 1 of 2