Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, in the past year I've kept putting a new guitar behind plans, opting to buy various other non guitar related things, but I've figured that now it is close to Christmas (three months, fairly close) and my birthday is January then I'll have quite some money to spend.

It goes like this:

- £100 cash off parents
- £80 off Relatives
- £60 off parents for 16th birthday
- £40 off relatives for birthday
- £100 saving from paperound, babysitting and various other jobs in January.

That means a total of £380. However there is a chance I may need to pay up £30 to my parents for a bank fee when my amp is paid off by xmas, so that would leave £350.

So basically I want a guitar for £400 MAXIMUM. And I'm dead on serious now, I'm getting frustrated with my Les Paul due to the fact I'm finding the neck quite tough on my hands (they're not the biggest hands ever).

I play a lot of genres, but mainly hard rock, metal (all kinds except death metal) and modern rock. Preferably I would like a guitar with a fairly slim neck. At most I would say a C sized Fender neck size, or something slightly bigger. A pickup change is not optional as I do not have the time nor resources to do it, and I don't want to pay for them to be changed in a store.

So UG, help find me a killer guitar. I am hoping to try some out within the next few months to so that I get an idea.

Thanks guys
I'm not bothered what type of bridge it has. But I've never owned a floating tremolo so I guess it will be a learning curve tuning and stringing one.
Ok let me help you out. You probably don't want anything with a tremolo for that price. In my experiences with Ibanez RG and Jackson necks, they are very uncomfortable for playing for long periods of time. But Ibanez S necks and esp/LTD Thin U necks are very comfy. Seeing as you won't wanna upgrade your pickups I would recommend LTD.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_fx260_ns.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA2BGpJ6dC0
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
^ Actually I love RG style necks. Felt great for my hands. But I can't stretch my budget for a prestige RG like an RG1570, and most RG's under that one aren't too great quality in terms of tremolo's or pickups. But I'll give that ESP a try if I can.
i'm gonna second the washburn x50pro...

rg1570 would be great if you're after a locking trem but the problem is it's already £100 over budget, plus it needs a pickup swap. the stock pickups aren't terrible, but they're certainly not great and most owners end up swapping them...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Aye well, TommyT recommended that guitar a while ago to me.

I've saw some videos on the guitars people mentioned, and the Washburn looks great. I also saw a Guitar World review of the LTD FX260, and that looked pretty damn good, and sounded good to.

A couple of other guitars I'm thinking of are the BC Rich Mockingbird ST, Ibanez RG420E-SAR and a Jackson RR3.

They're all in stores nearby so I could try them, but if anybody else has any recommendations then let me know.
I see your from Newcastle. Have you been on guitarguitar.co.uk . There prices seem overpriced to me though.
To bad you don't want a trem
This would have been an awesome choice
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=06013116360329&guitars=24
Trems arn't really that bad mate. Just keep in one tuning and you can still switch from dropped to standard tunings with no problems. Keep the same string gauge and approximite tuning and you'll be fine. I was to scared to try and change the strings on my ibanez *trem* that I left the first pair on for an entire year. I recently changed them and it only took me about an hour and I did it for the third time the other day in 15 minutes .
Also check out the second hand markets!
Good thing about being in the England is that you can drive to the otehrside of the country to go try something out :p.

Good luck bro.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
^ I don't mind if it has a trem or not, just it'll be a first experience for me. And if it's an Edge III I want to stay away from it. For £400 I'd expect a better quality trem. That DK seems okay though

^^ a_man I linked a couple of guitars off their site before. I might pop in town later and go to Guitar Guitar and see what they've got and if anything will catch my eye.
I was in town, but didn't have a chance to try anything out. But it seems now that the X50 pro is definitely one to try out. Anymore suggestions then just let me know.
Yeah other than the ugly ass headstock the x50 is good, but try out the ltd's there stock pups are quite decent. Also try the Ibanez szr's I know the sz's had good pups , don't know about the szr.
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Quote by AdamDK
^ Okay cheers I'll give them a try.

P.S The X50 Pro headstock rules

+1 It's fun to hold.
michael kelly might be worth looking into as well, haven't tried them yet though, it's only recentky that they got distribution over here...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ I'll best get a look into them, thanks Dave. If only I could afford a top notch Legra eh?
Fender HSS Strat?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by AdamDK
^ I'll best get a look into them, thanks Dave. If only I could afford a top notch Legra eh?

haha, yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Washburn X40 Pro
has Alder body
Schaller Licencsed Floyd Rose
Seymour Duncan Distortion/59 Pups
24 frets

or try the x50 if you don't want a trem.

Or get an Ibanez S series
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
^ How is the Schaller Licensed Floyd? Because I guess it is tempting. And does anybody have experience with the Epiphone EM2 Prophecy? How are the EpiActive pickups?
The Schaller Licensed Floyd is on Caparison guitars so I'm guessing its pretty damn good!
Don't the prophecy series have EMG's?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
If anyone can show me where the hell I can get X40 Pro in England nowadays in a colour that isn't solid black, they can have a 1000x1000px cookie.
it didn't feel like the same trem as on the caparison, it didn't feel as good. maybe it wasn't set up well, or something like that, but, to me, the trem on that washburn felt more like a jackson jt580lp (which i think is also made by schaller)- it had the same unresponsive, tight feel...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Horlicks
If anyone can show me where the hell I can get X40 Pro in England nowadays in a colour that isn't solid black, they can have a 1000x1000px cookie.

erm, machinehead music i think do them
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by howey
The Schaller Licensed Floyd is on Caparison guitars so I'm guessing its pretty damn good!
Don't the prophecy series have EMG's?

- Some models do such as the Prophecy Futura EX, and the SG EX. But the EM2 has EpiActives.

Quote by Horlicks

- I can't even find them at all on any English websites.

Quote by Dave_Mc
it didn't feel like the same trem as on the caparison, it didn't feel as good. maybe it wasn't set up well, or something like that, but, to me, the trem on that washburn felt more like a jackson jt580lp (which i think is also made by schaller)- it had the same unresponsive, tight feel...

- Is it generally good quality? Better than an Edge III quality trem then? I've not much experience with the jt580lp trems.
depends on what you mean by good quality. by all accounts, it's made to higher tolerances and with higher-quality materials than the really crappy cheapo licensed ones which are made of tin foil; however, that unresponsiveness would really annoy me as imo the whole point of having a locking trem is so you can use it. i know my kramer has a similarly unresponsive trem, and i've tried fewer springs etc. all to no avail- it may be possible to improve the response of the jackson or washburn trem(maybe i'm an idiot at setting up trems, for example), but if not, it could get very annoying (if you like a light touch on the trem).

also, most people seem to say the jt580lp is a straight swap for an OFR, but i have no idea if the washburn trem is the same size as the jackson one...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Ah right, well, that's not too bad, because I don't accidentally knock trems or anything when I play. But well, as I can't find any X40's around on UK sites, I guess the X50 is the way to go.
by unresponsive, i mean when you actually want to use the trem, you have to almost jump on it for, say, a divebomb etc. (slight exaggeration, but you know what i mean). as you said, though, it might be academic if you can't find one.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
by unresponsive, i mean when you actually want to use the trem, you have to almost jump on it for, say, a divebomb etc. (slight exaggeration, but you know what i mean). as you said, though, it might be academic if you can't find one.

Oh right. I read it as responsive, not unresponsive. Jesus my reading is bad today. Well, X50 it looks like it is. I'm stoked now Fancy adding your ENGL in?
Quote by Gregoric
Washburn X40 Pro
has Alder body
Schaller Licencsed Floyd Rose
Seymour Duncan Distortion/59 Pups
24 frets

or try the x50 if you don't want a trem.

Or get an Ibanez S series

No.
Dickless.
Quote by Gregoric
erm, machinehead music i think do them

Only in shitty solid black.
^ yeah, i'm not much a fan of black either- it always seems to me like the "safe" option... it'll never look amazing, but at least you aren't risking something which will look out of place (exception: les paul custom in black is cool)

Quote by AdamDK
Oh right. I read it as responsive, not unresponsive. Jesus my reading is bad today. Well, X50 it looks like it is. I'm stoked now Fancy adding your ENGL in?

haha, that makes sense, i was wondering what you meant for a minute!

no chance on the engl btw
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2