so tonight I'm going to help my uncle do some mixing/mastering on a project he recorded. He originally recorded it all on a Digital 8-track roland, but it's an older machine, so It's pretty limited to what it can do. He imported the tracks individually to Garageband, but just isn't able to get everything to line up the way he needs.
So, figuring I could help, I've brought my ProTools rig to his house and am going there later to see what we can do with it. My question is, would it be possible to import the tracks from Garageband on his computer to ProTools on mine? Either through a cable connecting the two (firewire, USB) or by saving the tracks on a flash drive and importing them to ProTools? (If you can treat the files as individual tracks on Garageband like you can on ProTools, I think this might me the way to go.)

I've never worked with Garageband before, so I'm not sure how it operates with file/track saving and the like.

Plan B is to just hook up some RCA cables from the Roland to my ProTools interface and record the files individually, so either way we should be able to make it work.

Our goal is to get all the tracks individually to ProTools so we can get them all to line up the way we need.

If you have any other suggestions, they are also appreciated
thanks
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Last edited by cerveza at Oct 3, 2008,
Just export it to a track which both pro tools and garageband support. They are both mac programs so this shouldn't be a problem.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
cool, thanks guys
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup