i have a highway one american made stratocaster, which i have decided i am going to completely modify. I plan on stripping the finish and applying a different colour or design, as well as perhaps reshaping the body if im daring enough. also im going to change the pickups (at the moment they are 3 single coils) because they completely do not suit my style. (i play between the genres of heavy metal to hard rock and require powerful gains) basically pickup wise i cannot decide if i want to go with a humbucker for the bridge and keep the two single coils for the middle/neck or if i want to completely redo all my wiring and change the cavity so that it can fit two humbuckers. im also stumped on pickup choice for either options, but ive been hearing good things about dimarzios for the first. also should i go active if i choose two humbuckers? what are my options? before i begin this long and costly endeavor, what do you suggest? i have my friend to help me who has customized several guitars, and the wiring im all good with...but basically im looking for pickup suggestions and ideas for redoing the finish. any help plz?
I would put in emgs..... possibly paint it white with a black pick guard....
or.....you could go black on black.....like i did with mine....which looks pretty badass

what wood is your fret board?
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
im pretty sure its rosewood. i want to also get rid of the annoying buzz of my single coils cause it sounds like garbage, so emgs would solve that problem, but wouldnt i also have to make a cavity for the batteries because the pickups are active?
not really..
you could just put the battery in the wiring cavity......
i have a schecter damien 6 that is modded to active emgs and the battery just sits in the wiring cavity....

being that you can get around 3000 hours of playing time.....if the battery ever dies just change your strings and open it up and change the battery while you are at it

also emg makes passive pickups that are also incredible if a battery is something you do not want to deal with

emg hz series i believe
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
also the black pickguard and white body would look great with a rosewood fretboard......or black on black...

are you looking for a solid color or sort of a design?
Total Failure

i actually was looking for the pearl whiote look and then maybe a stenciled black design around the body. and a black pickguard.
that looks amazing but i doubt im that talented with stenciling
i was just gonna do some basic jagged black striping
just make sure its nothing cheesy.....

imo fenders look better a plain color

if you are looking for something cool have a a shop that makes vynal stickers....and put a decel on your guitar....then you can leave it on....or paint over it and remove it

either way make sure you use a clearcoat
Total Failure

^ I would suggest the versatility of 2 humbuckers.

Or a humbucker with a coil tap.

Remember if you are doing active pickups, they should be through a tube amp.

As for designs, maybe a band logo or if you are religious, a religion symbol? Or EVH, way overdone but it looks cool. You could always do it natural.

One thing I always recommend is sanding your neck down to bare wood and applying a tung oil finish. It is incredibly fast and looks good.

You could always do a metallic or chameleon colour. It gets you chicks when they see your shiny instrument on stage.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.