Page 1 of 2
So folks, I just got back from my local Music Unlimited ( not as big as Guitar Center but close) after a full day of trying out basses, some of which cost more then house mortgages, of various kinds. I have been getting myself ready to buy a "big name" professional bass for sometime. I gotta say that I'm kinda dissapointed in some of them though. I've come to the conclusion that alot of these "high end" basses are just ripp offs, although there were a FEW that i did like. I've come to the decision that I will probably just upgrade my current basses or just go custom instead of paying these retarded headstock name mark-up brands.

I tried out all of the Scheter?models, studios, diamond series, 4 and 5 strings. The prices were generally in the $600-$1000 range. First of all i didn't like the laqured necks. Most of them had sucky action, although that could be just due to lack of set up. The sound was just bland. They looked cosmetically pretty but played like crap.
I'm amazed that so many people love them.

Next up were the Peavys. The milestones all sucked anyway to begin with so I went straight for Zodiac for $649. I was an O.K. bass, the neck felt very much like a Fender which i like. The sound was very versatile. Decent buy.

Next I tried a bunch of G&L's. The prices went from about $700 up to $1200. I simply wasn't THAT impressed with them. They are supposed to be Fenders on steriods someone told me, but they just don't feel all that great. If I'm gonna pay that much why would i spend it on this imation and not a U.S.A Fender? I honestly don't feel justified in paying $800 for a fender knock-off when you can get one just as good (like a Squire VM) for 1/4th the price. My verdict is that these are rip offs.

Most of these $600-$1200 basses just described felt like high action starter pack basses. I learned on my dad's 79 Fender p bass. I figured they would all play better but i was mistaken. Prehaps older instruments are better then the crap these days.

Then came the Ibanez models. The low end ones were passable i guess. The SR500 was amazing though, and every modle past that was really a great instrument. Ibanez = win in my book. They are in a class all their own.

Now, for the mortgage basses, this is where I'm gonna hit big time. I tried a Tobias Growler that was priced at $1500. I honestly did not feel like i was playing a $1500 bass. The neck felt very cheap, like starter pack bass cheap. No I'm not shitting you. Who the hell would dish out that kind of coin for this? Granted the sound was GREAT, but I felt very un-comfie playing it. The higher the price goes for basses, the more comfy it is supposed to play. This was in Squire starter pack range. Right next to it
was the area where all of the Jay Turser starter basses were kept, and let me tell you there was not THAT much of a difference between those and the "pro-brand name" basses in the 7-1K range.

I lost a little bit of faith in humanity just then.

The big boy was the Pedulla Thunder Bolt, a whopping $3,000 dollar bass. Now, taking into consideration it's price i would have to say that it was a great instrument, but not THAT great. A 3,000 dollar bass would be something that Jesus would play if he was a bassist. This simply felt like a very good $1,000 bass, maybe even a little less. Lets just say it was like Pizza, good, but not that good.

So, am i too harsh or picky?I still have yet to try Spetor and warwicks so my jury on them will have to wait. But I can't really justify paying such high prices for at best mediocre basses.
Last edited by Randy Bobandy at Oct 3, 2008,
if youre really looking for something in that price ange, id suggest the musicman SUB series with active electronice. ive seen em on ebay from 450usd to 750usd and are really great instruments. or if your range is higher go for a musicman sterling or stingray.
Quote by chumpzilla
if youre really looking for something in that price ange, id suggest the musicman SUB series with active electronice. ive seen em on ebay from 450usd to 750usd and are really great instruments. or if your range is higher go for a musicman sterling or stingray.

You know what? I have not tried the Music Mans yet. Maybe those will be better then what i saw today because everyboy has nothing but praise for them. They REALLY look like something that Jesus would play.

EDIT even though i didn't intend to buy yet, my range, if i do buy (and i intend this to be a investment "lifer" bass") is goona be in the $2,000 range, maybe higher but somewhere in that ballpark. For that much money, i have to make sure every aspect of it is gonna be God-like.
Last edited by Randy Bobandy at Oct 3, 2008,
not picky, you're just loking for a specific feel and i personally think you should get a custom or even make your own. make it to exact details and make sure it feels great. and also in the end you can say "hey, i just built my own bass". personally i like the fender jazz bass so check out other fenders to, they're my favorite for basses.

edit; also retry the basses u tried at that store at a different one if you're going to a different you because all instruments aren't identical and you mite like a certain one better even if its the same model.
Well, it kind of looks like every bass you played had a maple neck.... maybe try something with a bit better woods, like Warwick? And perhaps part of the reason you dug the Ibanez was that it uses a wenge and bubinga neck.

It really sounds like you're just picky with woods, and don't realize it. Go out and play some Warwicks and more Ibanez basses, or anything that uses something other than a maple neck.

You won't like modern Stingrays; I even think they have a "cheap" feeling neck. Old Stingrays and Fenders, like from the 70's and 80's have a really substantial neck that means business.

You may like Spectors, but they generally have a maple neck.

I'm just kind of putting the pieces together here..... the only bass you said that you really liked was the Ibanez SR500, with it's bubinga/wenge laminate neck. Nicer woods definately have a certain feel...... I own three Warwicks, all from the mid 90's, and they have all-wenge necks that feel much better and more substantial than say G&L's or newer Stingrays.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Oct 3, 2008,
Every brand you mentioned are assembly line basses that in my opinion don't deliver on the goods. I play Godin because they are individually hand crafted with good wood and electronics and sound great. It's all personal choice, but to shell out $2000 for something you could surpass in quality with a $700 bass just doesn't make sense to me.
My Gear:
Godin BG V and BG IV
GK 1001RB w/ 4x10 RBH
Palatino Upright
Ibanez Talman Artcore
Godin LG
Washburn Acoustic
Godin Classical
Traynor YCV80

Quote by Randy Bobandy

haha im sure humanity will be glad to hear that
keep trying out more till u finally get the one thats dead on
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Im assuming the diamond series was the Elite 5 string... How can you not love that bass its beautiful, and has the best action and feel of any bass i've ever played... I've played warwicks worth almost 3000$ and that bass felt way better and i liked the sound more.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
It doesnt sound like you played any Fenders. Since you learned on a Fender, maybe try out one of their MIA models or a vintage reissue. You also didnt try any Modulus basses, the same type Flea plays. I believe they have Graphite necks, which would give a bass a much different feel. Try some Rickenbackers too, if you can spend that much.
Quote by qotsa1998
It doesnt sound like you played any Fenders. Since you learned on a Fender, maybe try out one of their MIA models or a vintage reissue. You also didnt try any Modulus basses, the same type Flea plays. I believe they have Graphite necks, which would give a bass a much different feel. Try some Rickenbackers too, if you can spend that much.

I think for him it's an issue of feel. He may like the Modulus basses, but I doubt he'll dig anything with traditional neck woods (like Fender, Rickenbacker, G&L) unless it's vintage. The new Fender and Musicman bass necks feel a LOT different than the older ones from the 70's.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Oct 3, 2008,
learning on a 70's fender p-bass kind of screwed u for life haha. It doesn't get much better.
Quote by Randy Bobandy

I will agree on the necks. those Schecter necks are horrid. and I love the Tobias sound also, but indeed, find something weird about how the play on the first 5 frets or so.

I love wenge necks- you should look into that. also check out Warwick- they will feel very nice if I'm correct in my assumptions of your playing.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
O.K i have read the suggestions so far... Maybe it is woods that i don't like?

If i could describe it more accuratly, alot of the maple neck basses like on the Schecters and G&Ls just kinda felt dry and rigid to me, i dunno if that makes sense to you all. It was like there was no mass to the neck and was not very fast. But i am definatly gonna make an attempt to find a place that carries Warwicks and Spectors.

The Ibanez SR500 was the best I played in there, however i wish Ibanez made a $1000-1500 league bass (or I simply don't know about it).

How do you think Warwicks or Spectors would feel to a Fender W h o r e such as myself?

BTW, this place didn't have ANY Fenders in stock except for what was used and those were guitars, so no MIA p or j basses for me.
You learned on a Fender, you're used to the Fender feel. I had the same problem when I bought my Ibanez. I was all "Wtf thin neck not Fender?", but I love the sound, which really has improved with age. I love Schecter, btw. Warwicks would be a good bet.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Randy Bobandy
How do you think Warwicks or Spectors would feel to a Fender W h o r e such as myself?

As many have already said, you really don't seem to like maple necks. But this doesn't explain how much you like your p. So, it could be a neck profile thing. I think spectors (at least my bolt on us made) have a similar profile to a p (Edit: sorry I mean neck profile). As for warwicks, I have limited (though some, mostly through my Warwick fanboy teacher). The necks do feel good, and they sound great, but GOD ARE THEY HEAVY!. he was selling his corvette standard, and I was very interested in buying it. So he let me take it home and try it out. I liked it a lot, and was sure I was going to buy it, until it dawned on me how heavy it was, and that I would have to gig with that. My advice is to try both brands, and as many other basses as possible.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Last edited by kugelspot at Oct 4, 2008,
Quote by Randy Bobandy
O.K i have read the suggestions so far... Maybe it is woods that i don't like?

If i could describe it more accuratly, alot of the maple neck basses like on the Schecters and G&Ls just kinda felt dry and rigid to me, i dunno if that makes sense to you all. It was like there was no mass to the neck and was not very fast. But i am definatly gonna make an attempt to find a place that carries Warwicks and Spectors.

The Ibanez SR500 was the best I played in there, however i wish Ibanez made a $1000-1500 league bass (or I simply don't know about it).

BTW, this place didn't have ANY Fenders in stock except for what was used and those were guitars, so no MIA p or j basses for me.

Ibanez makes some great top-end basses, called the Prestige series. Check them out at the Ibanez website. You'll definately like them if you can get your music store to order one for you to play around with.

As far as Warwicks and Spectors, as a Fender guy you may feel that they're too big and bulky, or supermodern. If you're really into the vintage thing, don't get a freaking Warwick. However, if you want an instrument that feels solid and FEELS like it should cost a fortune, definately look into Warwick.

You may not like Spector, though, if you're complaining about the G&L necks feeling dry and rigid. I know exactly what you're trying to describe, and that's essentially just a poly finish on a maple neck. It's just how it feels, and neither you or I really dig it.

Warwicks and the expensive Ibanez basses, on the other hand, use woods such as bubinga, ovankohl, and wenge for the necks. These woods either have an oil finish, or are "finished" by the grease and sweat from your hands (ie, they are unfinished). These necks will certainly NOT feel "dry and rigid". You'll probably like them a lot, like you liked the neck of the SR500.
Definitely check out the Ibanez prestige basses. If you thought the SR500 was great... damn, you'll probably love the prestige models.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
To refer to 'G&L' as 'Fender' rip-offs is a bit ironical, many argue that they're the only true 'Fenders' made for years.
Leo Fender sold 'Fender' in 1965, he then went into 'Musicman' where the 'Stingray' would have been his progression of the 'Precision Bass' a progression that 'Fender' couldn't make due to being trapped by their own success.
The 'G&L' (George Fullerton/Leo Fender) brand was 'Leo Fenders' final foray into the Guitar/Bass market; so in spirit MM & G&L were true Fenders.
I must be possibly the only member here who actualy experienced 'Fenders' pre and post 'CBS'.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Oct 4, 2008,
Quote by John Swift
To refer to 'G&L' as 'Fender' rip-offs is a bit ironical, many argue that they're the only true 'Fenders' made for years.
Leo Fender sold 'Fender' in 1965, he then went into 'Musicman' where the 'Stingray' would have been his progression of the 'Precision Bass' a progression that 'Fender' couldn't make due to being trapped by their own success.
The 'G&L' (George Fullerton/Leo Fender) brand was 'Leo Fenders' final foray into the Guitar/Bass market; so in spirit MM & G&L were true Fenders.
I must be possibly the only member here who actualy experienced 'Fenders' pre and post 'CBS'.

+1

I only got to play a pre-CBS bass a few times... back before I moved and I was just starting out on bass, my neighbor (a bass player of 40 years) let me play his sunburst '63 Fender Precision. It was really cool, but I didn't really appreciate it because I was so new at it.
Of all the basses i played that day in the store (and i systematically played them all, brand by brand), this ---

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR650PB-Bass-Guitar?sku=514555

was by far the best thing i played. If felt AMAZING and the sound was very verstile. However it is is an "under $1000" bass. I was just under a, probably missguided too, assumption that once a bass breakes the $1000 ceilling that they become down right scary (in terms of playabilty, sound and feel), and didn't want to buy and probably miss out on the "rich kid" bass world. I've played on either old or entry-mid level equipment my whole life so you can see i want something very "prestigous".
id check a pawn shop too. i found an old ric in one once for half the price, but my mom wouldnt lend me the cash and i didnt have a job. you might find your $1000 bass there for the $300 price.
Quote by mountaindew88
+1

I only got to play a pre-CBS bass a few times... back before I moved and I was just starting out on bass, my neighbor (a bass player of 40 years) let me play his sunburst '63 Fender Precision. It was really cool, but I didn't really appreciate it because I was so new at it.

The widow of an old schoolfriend of mine still has his 1962 precision, in 1962 they cost £125 GBP around $200 USD in the UK.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by chumpzilla
id check a pawn shop too. i found an old ric in one once for half the price, but my mom wouldnt lend me the cash and i didnt have a job. you might find your $1000 bass there for the $300 price.

That would be damn awesome but highly unlikely, as pawn shops know next to nothing about instruments and vaules. They are the biggest scams going. I once went to oneand saw a shitty 3/4 size Harmony plastic clasical guitar strung with electic guitar strings going for $80 once....

EDIT... oh and i forgot to mention the famous craptacular high action SX jazz bass that had a "$300" price tag on it. Christ kill me now....
Last edited by Randy Bobandy at Oct 4, 2008,
you never checked out ric or mm once you do you wont be as disappointed
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
you never checked out ric or mm once you do you wont be as disappointed

the Ibanez SR650 is better. if you have the opportunity to buy one of those, do it. it is underpriced and a beast of a bass. or, buy and send it to me.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
the Ibanez SR650 is better. if you have the opportunity to buy one of those, do it. it is underpriced and a beast of a bass. or, buy and send it to me.

Another such Ibanez bass is the ATK, if I hadn't know the price beforehand, just from playing it I would have said it was easily worth double.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
Another such Ibanez bass is the ATK, if I hadn't know the price beforehand, just from playing it I would have said it was easily worth double.

maybe I just got a bad egg, but the Ibanez ATK I played felt terrible. I liked the sound, but the neck felt kinda lumpy.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
maybe I just got a bad egg, but the Ibanez ATK I played felt terrible. I liked the sound, but the neck felt kinda lumpy.

It's a very Precision-esque neck so it may feel quite fat compared to most, personally I love that type of neck though.
Quote by Bumper

Quote by indie-bassist
It's a very Precision-esque neck so it may feel quite fat compared to most, personally I love that type of neck though.

no, I know precision necks. this was lumpy. like the wood was a little bendy, and had bumps in it...

but how would a CNC or inspection allow for that? that was very bad- it made sliding uncomfortable and way too difficult.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

that Ibanez SR650PB is limited only 150 in US so it is a "rich kid" bass though there is an SR700 which is prac the same thing + neck through and Flamed not burl but same elecs and finishes stuff also same price...also the Music Mans youll love em if you enjoyed a fender its like a Fender on roids...i like the Bongo even though some say it looks funny im into it...

i own the SR505 and man Ibanez is a real Bang for the Buck these past few years like they got a good deal on some high quality woods....but theyre assembly line builders are probably getting min wage so check every aspect of the ibby before you buy...love those abolone inlays Barts wenge neck man...

The NSM limited edition this year is the SR750,755 same barts gold HW mahog body with walnut top + NT...not on top of my wish list but hey its limited so i do kinda want it...

G'd Luck
Last edited by HATe410 at Oct 4, 2008,
Quote by the humanity
no, I know precision necks. this was lumpy. like the wood was a little bendy, and had bumps in it...

but how would a CNC or inspection allow for that? that was very bad- it made sliding uncomfortable and way too difficult.

Ahh ok I did wonder if that's what you meant. Maybe you did get a bad one, or maybe I got a good one? Like you said though, I doubt basses like that would pass QC.
Quote by Bumper

Quote by indie-bassist
Ahh ok I did wonder if that's what you meant. Maybe you did get a bad one, or maybe I got a good one? Like you said though, I doubt basses like that would pass QC.

maybe the finish wasn't thick enough, and it warped in shipping? even then, lumpiness still would be hard, but it could have been accentuated by such a thing.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I'm tempted to say that the whole idea of you disliking maple is a load of crap.

I'm rather going to say that you have overly high expectations for instruments that aren't as high spec as you think they are.

As an example of why I think the maple idea is rubbish - Wal, Spector, Fender, Yamaha. All have used maple in necks and all have EXTREMELY different tones.

For feel, that can be easily remedied. Maple can be finished in oil, tung oil or tru-oil or finished in lacquer.

What about pickups? Electronics? Quality of the strings on them?

People are just jumping to conclusions regarding woods, and not thinking about other factors that could be affecting it.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Yeah I wasn't going to say anything for fear of sounding stupid, but Nutter's right, I don't think it's a maple thing.

Now I know this is weird, but I actually got really excited when I realized you liked the Soundgear the most. I am in love with Ibanez personally. I just think it does everything right, and have never held a bass that I thought felt better.

I've never tried the Prestige series stuff... I can imagine it's ridiculously sexy. I would suggest keep looking at Ibanez. The Soundgear and Attack lines are almost like Ibanez's J-bass and P-bass, respectively. Also, if you get a chance, you might want to look at the Ergodynes, they float my boat. And I've never tried a BTB but I hear great things.

Man... when I get famous, I need to get an Ibanez sponsorship because I love the things.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by HATe410
that Ibanez SR650PB is limited only 150 in US so it is a "rich kid" bass though there is an SR700 which is prac the same thing + neck through and Flamed not burl but same elecs and finishes stuff also same price...also the Music Mans youll love em if you enjoyed a fender its like a Fender on roids...i like the Bongo even though some say it looks funny im into it...

i own the SR505 and man Ibanez is a real Bang for the Buck these past few years like they got a good deal on some high quality woods....but theyre assembly line builders are probably getting min wage so check every aspect of the ibby before you buy...love those abolone inlays Barts wenge neck man...

The NSM limited edition this year is the SR750,755 same barts gold HW mahog body with walnut top + NT...not on top of my wish list but hey its limited so i do kinda want it...

G'd Luck

What about in Canada? Thats where i live.

Most of the pro bassist here are all useing either Rics or modified Jazzes as far as professional equipment goes. We really don't have that much access to a vareity of different pro basses to toy with up in the great white north.
Quote by Nutter_101
I'm tempted to say that the whole idea of you disliking maple is a load of crap.

I'm rather going to say that you have overly high expectations for instruments that aren't as high spec as you think they are.

As an example of why I think the maple idea is rubbish - Wal, Spector, Fender, Yamaha. All have used maple in necks and all have EXTREMELY different tones.

For feel, that can be easily remedied. Maple can be finished in oil, tung oil or tru-oil or finished in lacquer.

What about pickups? Electronics? Quality of the strings on them?

People are just jumping to conclusions regarding woods, and not thinking about other factors that could be affecting it.

Never said i hated maple pal. I learned on and love dad's vintage P bass. Every thing i play i compare to how that feels. Again, most of the high end models i tries had amazing sound and elecronics, it's just that almost all of them had rubbish necks. And when i play a $1500-3,000 bass i atleast expect the neck to feel enjoyable and smooth to play and fast and not feel like a sweatshop piece of lumber.
you are used to the worn feeling. I bet if you try a rougher wood, it feels more vintage right? wenge my brother. it feels old when it's new. or oil finishes. try both.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
you are used to the worn feeling. I bet if you try a rougher wood, it feels more vintage right? wenge my brother. it feels old when it's new. or oil finishes. try both.

How bout when wenge ages?

EDIT: As long as an oil finish is nothing like laquer, yeah that actually sounds great. I hate it when they paint and laqure over the wood grain bass necks, oddly enough however I love the laquer finish on my les paul's neck, so wtf do i know?
Last edited by Randy Bobandy at Oct 4, 2008,
Page 1 of 2